Trying To Keep Older Cat Weight Up...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also used it as a transdermal gel. Ours came in a syringe that didn't require us to measure it out in inches, but was really easy to dose. We also used a latex glove to make sure it went into her ear and not into us, and dosed during a petting session. Easy peasy.
Did you have any issues with bonus soft poops or constipation barfs or is my girl just special like that?

GracieAllen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aha! I stayed away from the gel 'cause I didn't know how it worked. Other than annoying her highness by sticking wet stuff in her ear that sounds pretty easy.

We give Brownie .15 ml every other day. As I said, originally it as to be 3.88 mg which was .375 ml but that dosage made her manic, loud, and at the first meal after the dose (usually 30 or so minutes later, after 27 minutes of running around and yowling) she threw up everything she ate. After 4 days of that, we started reducing the dose. We're now giving about 1/3 the dose we started with, which was already HALF of the dose they thought she'd get.

May have to try the gel...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gel is easy enough to give. Much easier than a pill or liquid. Much less stressful too. I used to wrestle her every other morning to make certain a crumb—1/4 of a 7.5 mg pill originally the size of a grain of rice—went down her throat rather than being spit back up on the bed or carpet. I hated our every other morning wrestling matches. She didn’t enjoy them either.

But we’re still working out the dose. The recommended dose is 1.5 inch ribbon for approximately 2 mg. But that’s not a very exact kind of measurement. The width of the ribbon can be variable depending on how hard you squeeze the tube. I’m getting good at squeezing a thin ribbon. But 1.5 inch worth daily seems like more than she needs based on her reaction to it. I’m converting her dose to millimeters to try to get a better precision. I was trying to eyeball against the ruler on the box 1 inch of 1.5 inches. I inked up the edge of an envelope (couldn’t find a business card or cue card to use instead) and will try 19 mm (0.75 inch) tomorrow morning. Hopefully she won’t blow it out both ends once I find the right dose for her. Krista is a small cat and I would assume there would be variance between the dose for a 15 lbs cat vs a 7.5 lbs cat rather than one length fits all.