Trying to help my old girl with painful Arthritis

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, poor Skye is limping bad and less active and hiding and sleeping more. She's about 11-12 years old now. I'm so sad and guilty because she weighs about 19 pounds. She's indoor and has no real exercise. I got her a memory foam dog bed and a self heating sheep skin type square for the bed also, She does love it as it is very big for her more stretch and move. I'm afraid buying relief for her on line cause I don't know which would be best and less harmful med to help her pain. I've heard of the shots. I am 82 and home bound myself so it's hard to take her for xrays. Any suggestions for my Skye? Thanks in advance.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry that Skye is having these problems. :petcat:
I have used Cosequin on my girl that has some arthritis. I notice a difference with it, as she seems to move easier and is able to jump much better. I ordered it from Chewy.com. I open the capsule and mix it in her food. Does Skye eat dry food, wet food?
It looks like Cosequin also comes in a treat-type soft chew. Is Skye a picky eater?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry your cat is painful. I would suggest seeing if you can get a house call vet out to give her an injection of Solensia, if she thinks it is appropriate.

She isn’t going to play if she is that overweight. If you are able to feed her canned food only it would be best for her.

it is extremely important that a cat of her size never stops eating as she is at risk for suffering from hepatic lipidosis ( life threatening liver disease) if she ever goes on a hunger strike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry that Skye is having these problems. :petcat:
I have used Cosequin on my girl that has some arthritis. I notice a difference with it, as she seems to move easier and is able to jump much better. I ordered it from Chewy.com. I open the capsule and mix it in her food. Does Skye eat dry food, wet food?
It looks like Cosequin also comes in a treat-type soft chew. Is Skye a picky eater?
Hi iPappy.....Skye is a picky eater but loves to eat and I'm trying to cut back a little. I worry so much about meds damaging kidneys and stuff like that. Did it cause any constipation, diarrhea, puking on your little girl? I want to try something but looking for the best. I'm even over here, checking out insurance for her. How long do you know can kitty stay on Cosequin? Thanks so much for trying to help us. <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry your cat is painful. I would suggest seeing if you can get a house call vet out to give her an injection of Solensia, if she thinks it is appropriate.

She isn’t going to play if she is that overweight. If you are able to feed her canned food only it would be best for her.

it is extremely important that a cat of her size never stops eating as she is at risk for suffering from hepatic lipidosis ( life threatening liver disease) if she ever goes on a hunger strike.
I took her for complete labs just over a year ago. They were not happy with her weight then and it was suggested to give all wet food. She is a grazer. I don't think what I give is a lot. She gets 1/2 cup either Crave or Purina One dry daily and 1.5 oz Sheba pate morning and evening. Is that way too much??? Being indoors in a small senior apt. is hard on her 😩. Then, trimming those front claws can probably kick up arthritic pain also. I did her front ones yesterday and she is more painful today even though she is a good girl and I'm gentle with her. Thanks much for listening to me rant!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It’s not the amount of food. That’s the problem. It’s the dry food. Dry food is very high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not good for cats. Some cats are more sensitive to the carbohydrates than others. Those cats will get extremely overweight with the carbohydrates. So she would be better off just getting three or four small portions of canned food a day. You could most likely feed her as much canned food as she wants and, provided you remove all dry food from her diet, she would still lose weight.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi iPappy.....Skye is a picky eater but loves to eat and I'm trying to cut back a little. I worry so much about meds damaging kidneys and stuff like that. Did it cause any constipation, diarrhea, puking on your little girl? I want to try something but looking for the best. I'm even over here, checking out insurance for her. How long do you know can kitty stay on Cosequin? Thanks so much for trying to help us. <3
Hi 🙂. My girl had no digestive irritation or problems with it. From what I understand they can be on cosequin for life!
Do you think she would accept more wet food over dry?