trying to get to the bottom of Georgia's issues...

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Georgia has had chronic loose stools since we got her (retired from a breeder at age 3 about a year ago).

We thought maybe she was just adjusting to her new home and new diet, but it never went away.

We tried pumpkin and switching to Taste of the Wild kibble. (She also gets fancy feast wet food, mixed with pumpkin)

Nothing worked.

So I took her in for a full physical today.  ($670!  eek!)

Stool testing, blood tests, B12 shot, went home with some probiotics and clindamycin for her gums.

She also has red, infected gums which has been a problem with our other Maine Coons too.

I just didn't realize how bad hers had gotten, because I never look way in the back of her mouth.

He thinks it could be related.  Either an immune condition, or bacteria from her mouth irritating her GI tract and causing diarrhea, or bacteria from licking her bottom infecting her gums.

He says he'll call back tomorrow with results.

I don't know if I'm hoping they find something or not.

I'm worried about it being something bad, but it might be nice to have an explanation and be able to fix it somehow.

I worry there'll just be no explanation and we'll keep going like this for years!

He also gave me some of the ID wet food, so maybe we'll try substituting that for her fancy feast  (sorry Georgia!)

I feel like a bad mommy for not taking her in sooner.... Sigh...

I hope we can fix it!

Poor Georgia...