Trying to get Pixie to live with us, Taylor & Crisco

ma.vie.en.vert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooo here's my story.

When I was 11, I finally talked my parents into letting me have a cat. The grandmother of one of my friends at school was a popular cat breeder here in town. She didn't breed purebred cats at all, but her female Tortoiseshell cat had a famous reputation in town for producing perfect little kittens, so when the kittens were 6 weeks and got their first shots, we got a call to go pick one out.

She always produced 3 types of kittens, orange tabby, pure black and beautiful tortoiseshell tabby x's. I fell in love with one of the multicolored cross's, named her Pixie and took her home. She became my baby and her and I were inseperable.

But my sister got jealous, so when the next litter of kittens arrived, my parents went back and brought home a pure black male kitten for my sister, named him Dusty.

Pixie & Dusty were the best of friends even though Pixie was known to be very temperamental. Then one day they started hunting and leaving dead mice and birds underneath my dad's woodpile. A friend of mine & I went to investigate and there was a poor little black kitten, horribly skinny and sick. So my parents took him to the vet, nursed him back to health, and he (Cole) became cat number 3.

I grew up, moved out of my parents place and in with my boyfriend, leaving Pixie at home with my parents since her and Dusty were such good friends. The owner of the house my boyfriend and I rented out had two cats, but only one of them agreed to move out with him. The other hid in the furnace ducts so we agreed to let her live with us. We coaxed her out, got her to trust us, and thats how we got Taylor, our Norwegian Forest cat. Our landlord told us he had paid nearly $1000 for her, so we felt so happy that he would trust us with such a huge investment. She became my boyfriend's baby, and moved with us to our new home.

One summer a friend of mine was having issues and moved in with us, bringing her cat along with her. The day after she moved in her cat gave birth to 4 kittens. We found homes for all but 1, so I kept the kitten, and that's how we got Crisco. She's a brat, and a little ninja cat, but a real sweetheart (to me anyway, lol).

All was well in the world, I had two cats at home, and still visited Pixie at my parents place on a regular basis considering we lived right across the street from one another. Until my parents decided to get two more cats, that was the end of Pixie's happiness.

Rex, the new male cat they got, terrorized her constantly. She couldn't eat, sleep or use the litter box in peace. She starting urinating all over the house, would stop eating, and because of her urinating, the new female cat they got, Boots, would urinate overtop of wherever Pixie went. It was a constant territory war between Pixie and Boots, and constant fighting between Pixie and Rex. Then the other day, Pixie urinated all over my parents room & bed, and wouldn't move. She didn't move or eat for two days straight. We thought she might be sick, so off to the vet she went. The vet found nothing wrong with her so she came back home and did it again, urinated all over the room & bed, and wouldn't eat or move. My mom was at her wits end so I decided to bring Pixie to my house.

I picked up some Feliway, another little box and another set of dishes. The first day went well! Taylor was perfectly fine with Pixie until she accidentally scared her and Pixie freaked out. Crisco on the other hand is not liking Pixie AT ALL. My boyfriend and I don't live in a big house by any means so we're a little worried there might not be enough space for everyone, but so far so good. We have 2 bedrooms & a den, but we have a roomate in the 2nd bedroom and she won't allow cats in her room. We kept Pixie in our room for most of the day with her own food, water & litter box. Every so often we put Crisco & Taylor in the den so Pixie could roam around. Tonight we moved Pixie, her water & litter box into the den for the night since Crisco sleeps with us every night and we didn't want to upset her habits. She's upset enough already.

So there's my story and there's the first day! Tomorrow, or well today (its now 3:20 a.m.! Yikes! Can't you tell I'm nervous about the cats! lol) I plan on putting Pixie in our cat kennel and letting Crisco sniff her and check her out for a few minutes, hoping that will ease her nerves a little. I don't think I'll let Taylor in, I don't want Pixie to feel overwhelmed or like she's getting ganged up on. I'll keep you guys posted! If you have any advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for such a long post, I tend to go on and on...

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been one day. You shouldn't even begin to get concerned for another couple weeks. Cats are very territorial and it can take months for them to calm down and settle into their new environments.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's only been 1 day, you've got to give them more time to adjust. The first couple of days are going to be stressful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ma.vie.en.vert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I know I have to give them more time. I just thought it was convenient to start posting about it after day 1 lol.

Today was not a good day, so far anyway. Pixie is hiding behind the TV in the den and absolutely refuses to come out. She won't eat anything either. I'm debating what I should do. Should I leave her there or should I stick Tay & Crisco in our room, take Pixie out of the den and let her run around the house a bit? I don't want to force things, but I'm a little worried about her. She hasn't used the litter box either since she's been here, hasn't gone anywhere else either.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please read about introducing cats on this site, or others.

She needs to be in a room by herself for a while. For some cats, they are ready to come out in a day or two. Some take a couple of weeks. Some take months.

Robin

ma.vie.en.vert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Robin, I checked it out.

I'm just worried about Pixie not eating and not going to the bathroom. She's only eaten a teeny bit of chicken since she's been here, and hasn't peed or pooed AT ALL.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the more reason to isolate her in a quiet room where she can relax a bit.

Best wishes. It's wonderful of you to take her in.

Robin

ma.vie.en.vert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I guess I was right to be worried about Pixie not eating. She passed away yesterday.

After another day of not eating, I took her to the vet. They did a bunch of tests on her and realized she had fluid in her abdomen. She had FIP.

She was my baby and now she's just... gone.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no! I was reading this hoping she had settled in. I'm so sorry you lost your baby.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you, and for Pixie to be playing, healthy and happy, at the bridge.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sad. I'm so sorry you lost her. And just when you were trying to make life better for her. Poor baby.

Robin