Trying to get cat to move to another part of the house?

breakaway

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a problem sort of. My cat she is just over mainly spends her time in the dining room alone she is not very social
but that's where her food is so I figured she just wanted to stay close to that. But I need her to be mainly in my room and this side of my house because we are trying to close off the other side of the house to keep it cooler. Anyways I moved her food to my room and have put her in there and she stays for a few minutes and then runs out. Or she will come in and eat and run away after she is done. She is not very lovable with me so I try and pet her and hold her, but I don't think she likes my room very much. I kinda need to know what to do to make it more comfortable for her. Also should I close the door so she is forced to spend time in my room and get used to it, I have been keeping it open but she runs out. So I don't really konw what to do, any help would be awesome.

Thanks for your time

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breakaway

Hi everyone,

I have a problem sort of. My cat she is just over mainly spends her time in the dining room alone she is not very social
but that's where her food is so I figured she just wanted to stay close to that. But I need her to be mainly in my room and this side of my house because we are trying to close off the other side of the house to keep it cooler. Anyways I moved her food to my room and have put her in there and she stays for a few minutes and then runs out. Or she will come in and eat and run away after she is done. She is not very lovable with me so I try and pet her and hold her, but I don't think she likes my room very much. I kinda need to know what to do to make it more comfortable for her. Also should I close the door so she is forced to spend time in my room and get used to it, I have been keeping it open but she runs out. So I don't really konw what to do, any help would be awesome.

Thanks for your time
I'm sorry I really don't have an answer... Some cats just do what they want!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there-

What sort of things do you have in your room that would interest her? Is there a window perch she can use? Is there a cat condo? Are her litter pans near? Her water accessible?

I wouldn't pick this cat up and hold her and pet her. My guess is you are doing this while she is in your room? If you are, than she could be feeling trapped and wanting out. Some cats just don't take to being petted. That is sometimes an action we as humans get more satisfaction out of then a cat does. You can buy a baby gate and put it up vertically in your doorway so she can see out but still be contained. But while she is in there, just ignore her so she can relax. Take the pressure off her and off yourself.

And be sure she has items to occupy her inside your room. Even consider getting a fish tank for her enjoyment and for yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breakaway

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Hi there-

What sort of things do you have in your room that would interest her? Is there a window perch she can use? Is there a cat condo? Are her litter pans near? Her water accessible?

I wouldn't pick this cat up and hold her and pet her. My guess is you are doing this while she is in your room? If you are, than she could be feeling trapped and wanting out. Some cats just don't take to being petted. That is sometimes an action we as humans get more satisfaction out of then a cat does. You can buy a baby gate and put it up vertically in your doorway so she can see out but still be contained. But while she is in there, just ignore her so she can relax. Take the pressure off her and off yourself.

And be sure she has items to occupy her inside your room. Even consider getting a fish tank for her enjoyment and for yours.
Thanks for your reply, yes her litter pan is easy for her to get too from my room, but really nothing to entertain her I don't think... And I have both her water and food in here. I will try the ignore method when she comes in thanks.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to give her an incentive to stay in your room- cat condos, a window perch, clear off a top shelf and put some soft bedding down, get her some toys to play with-

breakaway

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did what you said and gave her some toys, she is playing with the one that I actually made as I type. I closed the door so she can have some time in here, I will open it in a little bit, I gave her some bedding on my dresser so she can lay on there she has been going to that too. She seems really curious but kind of jumpy and skittish. Hopefully she will be comfortable in here in no time.

Thanks so much for your help

breakaway

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I just maybe try closing the door that way she is forced to stay in the room? I mean I don't want it to be forced, but I never see her and I want her to socialize and be around me. But she is basically alone all day long in a room where no one is
. That can't be good for her. I just don't really know what to do

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had her? We had a cat that hid behind our headboard for 4 weeks and when he finally came out he was the most affectionate cat we had ever had to that point in time.

I don't advise trying to hold and pet a cat if it wants to go. When he/she is ready to come to you is the best way to earn its trust. Even as lovable as Bijou and Mika are, when they don't want to be held, they don't period. We never force it - they come to us when they want loving.

breakaway

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have had her about a year, and she was loving and everything. But I got busy with school, and other stuff so my parents basically fed her and took care of her but they didn't really love her etc. Now, I want us to be like old times (that sounds so strange, lol) And I have started doing everything for her, but I think she just lost my trust. Does that make sense? Maybe she feels I neglected her or something. I just don't know what to do, I mean she lets me hold her for maybe a minute and then she jumps and goes back to the back room alone. So I just like need to regain her trust.