trying to figure out the breed of my cat

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I found my kitty cat outside covered in snow. People tell me he doesn't look like a "normal" domestic shorthair...whatever that means??? I love him no matter what the breed. He's got the personality of a bengal...to put it simply and he is a talker...you can have a conversation with him...I do believe there is some bengal mixed in with an oicat and something else??? I'm pretty sure his owners abandoned him because of his personality traits. He runs laps around the apartment at night and he stalks everything that moves!!! you can't keep him in your lap for more than a second, but he will sit still for pictures!!! I hope the fb videos work....pictures just don't do him justice he weighs around 10 lbs and he is 8 months old 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ok I made these public so I hope you can see them now

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a domestic shorthair, no specific breed. Color is orange and white, bicolor, coat is tabby. I can even see the classic "M" on his forehead.  He looks a lot like our boy, Casper.

Lots of cats are talkative, it really isn't breed specific although some breeds are known for being more chatty than others, such as Siamese.  We have a domestic longhaired cat as well, who never shuts up!  She announces herself and what shes doing all day long.

It would be highly unlikely that your kitty is part Bengal and/or Ocicat, is they are rare and not many people can handle having them as pets.  Plus he looks nothing like either of them.  I'm not sure who is telling you that yours isn't a "normal" looking domestic, but honestly, yours is about as normal looking as I've ever seen - and I mean that in a very good way.  He's a very handsome boy, a great representation of an orange tabby and looks like he's a bundle of fun and energy.  

Welcome to our site 

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying! I love him no matter what the breed. he is very hard to handle and hes got a lot of energy! The poor thing was a stray and I'm sure his personality is what got him "kicked" out haha we even neutered him and it didn't work!!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh and just to let you know for future reference most cats have the M on their forehead even the Bengal http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bengal_Cat_(Fia).jpg

oh and here is a cinnamon bengal which led me to believe this is what my kitty is http://bengalcatclub.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=171540363
A breed is not what a cat happens to look, but it is what ancestry he has.   So this here bengal, although he has looks of a very nice domestic moggie, has the proud classification of Cinnamon Marble Bengal (grand de luxe double turbo etc, etc) - because he has papers and certificate on being a bengal, and so had his parents....    :)

Yeah, all tabbies have this M... Sometimes the tabby pattern isnt easy to see, but they are revealed by this M...  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Ginger tabby DSHs are really sought after here!  They are some of the first to be snapped up at refuges.  I've often found them to be characters.. no idea why

He's a gorgeous boy... you are lucky to have found each other

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! Do any of you guys know how to find out a cats ancestry? if i do decide to I would like to know what his breed is

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you!!! Do any of you guys know how to find out a cats ancestry? I would love to know someone also told me he is show quality I don't know what that means either but if I do decide to I would like to know what his breed is
With purebred cats do comes a pedigree "birth certificate" where it is written parents, and grandparents.   The cat registry has registers further generations back...  So it is usually possible to go backwards 20-30 generations back, if you have the time and energy...

There is also an online registry Pawpeds, and surely others too... Not 100% complete, but fair enough.

So if you know a purebred cat, of whom you know how and where to begin, ie the breeder and the name breeder gave to the cat, you can usually trace her backwards...

Being !show quality or not" is something for these purebreds. Most purebreds are not even among them, although quite a few can be showed without being ashamed.  They wont win anything, but they will be allowed to participate.  It is only the winner in each group who go up, several levels to the finale.

And "show quality" really means - such looks and behavior she has a realistic chance to win the show.

Behaviour yes. Because the cat must manage and endure the show... A little shy cat may be accepted, but if he hisses at the judge! oh my! and God forbide he explodes!!!  Finito, off, he may even lose the prize he already did won... He is taken down and the owner reddened over face and neck.

OK, now to the good news:

Almost every Cat Show does also have a class for not pure bred cats. Often called House Hold Pet or similiar...   There it is no advantage to be purebred, so moggies are welcome.

It is no disadvantage to look pretty and beautiful,  :)   And being sweet!!!  Wow, you are already halfways there!   :)

but what the judge  do look at is if they are healthy, are OK with the milieu, personality, groomed as they shall in that type of cat,  and so on...

that is so because, of course, there is no breed standard to compare with.   :)

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and just to let you know for future reference most cats have the M on their forehead even the Bengal http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bengal_Cat_(Fia).jpg

oh and here is a cinnamon bengal which led me to believe this is what my kitty is http://bengalcatclub.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=171540363
When I said he had the "M" on this forehead, it wasn't to say he isn't a Bengal, I was talking about his coat pattern, and it was to say he was most certainly a tabby 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the person who said he was "show quality" what breed they think he is. . .:tongue2:. I don't think he looks like any purebreed, and of course only purebreds can show in championship classes. But he is certainly a fine handsome boy, and looks quite confident. Maybe that's what they meant by show quality?

The M on the forehead occurs in any stripey cat---it's just the way the fur comes together on the head. I've seen in in calicos and torties and even in a solid blue cat who has some ghost striping. It doesn't mean anything except that the cat has enough stripes to make an M :lol3:.

Last edited:

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no he is most certently not a pure breed and honestly i would even laugh at someone who told me he is. Yes he is a tabby...the M is a little muttled and in the pic you cant see but it shoots down his back to his tail. part bengal...maybe part ocicat...maybe part egyptian mau maybe he is a mix but to be honest he doesn't have that chubby face like american shorthairs have...even though they are cute  since i found him outside i have no idea if he actually does have a pedigree or not (he was crying so loudly i thought someone was trying to kill him. No one claimed him for hours. I was trying to sleep when I found him and he sat and cried for about 3 hours before i came down and grabbed him he was so comfortable in my apartment that I couldn't kick him out or send him to a shelter)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying! I love him no matter what the breed. he is very hard to handle and hes got a lot of energy! The poor thing was a stray and I'm sure his personality is what got him "kicked" out haha we even neutered him and it didn't work!!!!
Hehe, well, it probably did help a little. If anything, neutering helps a cat keep his kittenish, fun-loving personality instead of getting flooded with hormones making his brain go Fight! Mate! Fight! Mate! all the time. Trust me, you'd rather have a crazy kitty tearing up and down your hallways and yelling at you whenever you ignore him, than have a neurotic young tom spraying everything and trying to find a female and/or scratch the eyes out of his rivals all the time.

Yeah, neutering doesn't make a cat any lazier. That's a myth. They do end up weighing more after they are neutered, but that's because they grow longer and taller. I guess they're growing bigger with the energy they would have used to go fighting and spraying and generally making tomcat nuisances out of themselves. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that there's no chance that he has any Ocicat or Egyptian Mau in him. Those are extremely rare breeds and it's not likely that anyone is letting their toms run loose like breeders used to. There is maybe a tiny chance that he has some Bengal, as there seem to be a lot of Bengal breeders, and many of them not-so-responsible :/, but even that is pretty unlikely. All in all, very few cats have any kind of breed in them, cats just do what they want to do and breed with whoever they want to breed with, and selective breeding just isn't done very often. There is a huge variety in random-bred cats, you never know what you'll end up with!

He's lucky to have found you, and you're lucky to have found him :D. A good ending all around.

Last edited:

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is a myth that cats get fat after being neutered they only get fat if you free feed..
willowy I live in an area where people are pretty irresponsible especially with cats...things are starting to warm up and Kitty season is here I wouldn't put it past anyone in my area to let even a rare expensive cat outside....I live in aurora co a minute away from the theater shooting back in July people are stupid here

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, look at him! Those orange boys are just lovely.

brycross33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's my gorgeous baby who can streatch up to the top of the counter when I'm preparing steaks