Trying to choose a cat fountain

mar1na

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All!

This is my first post on thecatsite.com. Lily's second birthday is coming up and I'd like to buy her a cat fountain but am stuck between two.

With her current water bowl (just a normal one) she often sticks her paws in and moves the water around, plays and also drinks the water right off her paws (and in general makes a huge watery mess). She's never tried to drink from the sink but when I take the Brita and pour water from it into her bowl she always runs over and tries to play with the steam. 

The two fountains I'm stuck between are these:

I know that the one is just a gravity waterer but I thought it would be nice because there's no cord and she would constantly have fresh water. I think she'd like the other one because it would have constantly moving water but I'm very worried she might try to play with it more than drink it.

Would love the opinion of other cat owners!

I'd be willing to look at other fountains too but unfortunately my budget is kind of tight so these were the only two I could find in the $20-25 range that seemed good. 

Thank you for your help!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never used those bowls; but I have a Petmate Fresh flow fountain that we've used for  years.  Mooch used to splash and just soak the bowl area and the wall next to it.  Someone still puts their dirty paws in the fountain here and there; but no splashing to clean up after!  I think the water moving helps keep it cooler too.

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried 4 different pet fountains with my cats and they hated all of them.

They did, however, love the fish tank.  So after Jasio ate my betta (and I know it was him, with his wet paws and a fin stuck to his chin.  Fish murderer.) I decided rather than offering up another innocent fishie to the altar of the feline gods I would instead clean the tank super well and give them that to drink out of.  Works like a charm.  The tank is tall enough they don't splash the water (too much) and the filter has a changeable carbon compartment on it. 

My cats definitely prefer the moving water over still water, and I change the whole thing out about twice a week. 

Also, I think the fish tank (a little 5 gallon with submersible filter) cost me less than any of the pet fountains did.