Trying To Attract A Stray

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have seen a stray in my neighbor’s backyard from time to time, I, the cat looks kind of skinny to me and I’m hoping to get him/her to come for my yard for food. I have left food out but that didn’t help very much, I have looked at the internet and most people have suggested food that has a strong smell but I am not sure what that might be. Also I am wondering if there is something else I could try? Maybe a toy? I’m not sure that the food will work. Thank you I appreciate your help I really want to catch the cat because I will be moving soon and I really don’t want to leave the cat.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is kind of you to want to help this stray kitty. Yet along with feeding the cat, the cat may need shelter. Yet most importantly the cat needs to be spayed/neutered. If not you may soon find yourself feeding a small colony of cats and that small colony will grow right before your eyes. You might see about borrowing a humane trap. Then trapping the kitty and taking him to a spay/neuter clinic.

As far as attracting the cat, wet food is best. Any flavor that has fish in it. Cats need cat food, not human food as it is not nutritionally balanced for them. Small amounts of human tuna are fine, but it cannot be a daily meal.

Also do not leave food over night. It will only attract many unwanted critters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I appreciate your help! I know not to feed the cat human food, and I know I’m going to buster/spay the cat if I can catch him/her. I’ll look into humane traps. Thank you!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask your neighbor if they mind if you set up a humane animal trap in their yard since that’s where you see her/him.
I bet if you ask your vet or shelter about cat rescue groups or people they will give you names and numbers. That way you can either borrow a trap or get help trapping (the best alternative). Then like previously said spay or neuter asap.
Great thing you are doing wanting to rescue this baby, especially with winter here. I always believe cats who are saved form a special bond with their rescuers.
Please keep us posted.

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry it’s actually the neighbor’s cat! I didn’t think he was because he’s always outside . That’s why he won’t come for food I suppose because they feed him. I can’t steal someone’s cat I thought he was a stray, still I wish I could keep him inside...

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So your neighbor actually said “ that’s my cat?” Or do they just feed her as well?

If that’s all it is and she is allowed to run loose, not “fixed”, and she/ he “ looks skinny “ I would take her in, spay/ neuter, and keep her.....of course that’s just me but it sounds like he/her deserves better.

Just a thought......

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I know but the neighbor did say they’re going to spay/neuter the kitten and she said it’s actually her kitten. And I should have clarified that it’s a kitten but I couldn’t tell I think it’s about 5 months old.