Try this out on your cat - concerned cat when human pants

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried this while the cats were wrestling with each other. They both stopped immediately. Gus's eyes got huge and he ran over and started sniffing my face. Ramsay stared at me a few seconds then went to the front door and started meowing at the top of his lungs. It's almost like they were working together..."You check mom, I'll get help!" Good boys!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat starts panting, they are hyperventilating. This is not normal and signals something is wrong. Either they are very scared, or they are very sick. Your cat may see this behavior in you as being very worrisome to them. Just guessing here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it probably has something to do with that!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

When a cat starts panting, they are hyperventilating. This is not normal and signals something is wrong. Either they are very scared, or they are very sick. Your cat may see this behavior in you as being very worrisome to them. Just guessing here.
It could just mean they are warm/hot. My black Maine Coons pants when it is even slightly warm or in the sun (due to her thick black coat.)

claytonj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brutus literally punched me in the mouth... I didn't do it again for a week. This time he charged me and tried to bite me on top of the head. I think it's safe to say we won't be playing this game anymore.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Binx was curled up asleep and I started panting and he ran over so concerned! Hilarious!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it to all three of my cats.
Willow walked around me a couple of times, super wide eyed and clearly puzzled.
Eden just stared at me, and Pants backed away from me and hissed. :think:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, i'll admit this is weird....

But in short, one time I was playing with my cat, Ocean, and started panting like a dog (I did, not my cat), and i noticed that she became really concerned about my panting and ran over to me to investigate. Ive tried it several times since then, and its the same everytime, she'll drop what she's doing and run over to see whats going on. I even had one of my friends try it (who Ocean isnt fond of) and she ran ove to him too.

Has anyone ever heard of this?! It's really wild. Try it with you cat, and see if it works.

I'm thinking they may think your under stress, or hurt or something, since it sounds like these are times when they pant.
Cats are very aware of unusual sounds or movements we make. It may be amusing to us but we should be careful its not threatening or stressful to them.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are very aware of unusual sounds or movements we make. It may be amusing to us but we should be careful its not threatening or stressful to them.
As an ex-smoker I am still sometimes prone to coughing fits. My cats usually look at me with concern when I do this. Excessively panting or coughing is a sign of distress or ill health for most mammals. Cats know this.

Yet if I pretend to drop dead, they totally ignore me.
cat meme lay how long are you going to there bleeding  copy.jpg

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where Selene is, but I did get Charlie's attention. He's just staring at me.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this one's an old thread, but I was intrigued, so I tried it. My cats were sleeping next to me. They woke up and looked at me like, "What's your problem?" Then they went back to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this one's an old thread, but I was intrigued, so I tried it. My cats were sleeping next to me. They woke up and looked at me like, "What's your problem?" Then they went back to sleep.
Hahaha nice! Also, an oldie but goodie! :)