Trouble with my Cat brothers

idyllsend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so here's a little history on my boys Tulkas and Mandos:

They are litter mates, 9 years old, and I've had them since they were 1O weeks old.  They always got along well, play fighting, grooming, and sleeping together.

Tulkas:

- Sprayed as a juvenile

- Had him neutered and that solved the problem...until this past year

- Is shy with everyone, but is a big momma's boy.  ALWAYS crying to be picked up and loves to bury his face in my neck.  Only greets people when they sit quietly next to me [while watching a movie, etc] and will then give them more attention than me

- Had roommates for the first 4 years of his life and had no issues with them

- Then lived alone for a year

- Moved into my mums house, and he became very territorial about my bedroom and hissed at my mum and step dad when they would come close or come in

- Developed a UTI, which was treated, and I've kept him on royal canin medical urinary so, and no issue since

- Moved into my Dad's basement, an area smaller than any of my previous apartments 

- Got a new vet, had a physical, health is good

- Still hisses at anyone who comes downstairs

- Started to spray on my pillow while I was sleeping

- Sprays in the litter box, I've got a high back box that stops that from going on the walls

Mandos:

- Never sprayed

- Had him neutered when they begun to show aggression after moving into a new apartment, fixed issue, they were back to normal

- Loves attention from anyone and is always showing off/displaying

- No changes in behaviour during any moves, other than the aforementioned short-term aggression, until I moved to my dad's house

- No health issues, other than ibs, which is being treated with food

- Is now aggressive with his brother, instigates all fights

As you can see, Tulkas is my special boy.  He really depends on me so much and I love him, so that's why I'm trying to do my best for him, for both of them.

When they fighting, Mandos starts it by slowly advancing on Tulkas.  Tulkas begins to whine and howl, then Mandos will jump on his back and bite his neck.  Tulkas will hiss, get out of it, and Mandos is always left with some scratches on his nose.  Generally the day or day after there's been a fight, my pillow gets peed on.  I"m assuming this has something to do with me and claiming me as his territory.  I'm also assuming the fighting has something to do with the smaller space, but unfortunately I can do nothing about that for 2 more years.  

I've moved myself out of the basement, hoping taking me out of the equation will make things easier.  I can't see any areas outside of his litter that Tulkas has sprayed, but they still fight, which I can tell by the tufts of hair I find and scratches on Mandos' nose.  I can't let them roam the rest of the house due to my dad's dog being way too interested in them, and them not wanting anything to do with him, plus I'm also now worried that this spraying around my area has become a learned behaviour and not something I can get him to stop.  I was down there yesterday cuddling and playing with them, and suddenly Tulkas puts up his butt like he's about to spray off the bed onto the wall, which I stopped before it happened.

I have tried felliway while I was still living down there, and that made no difference.

My vet suggested my cat was mad at me, which is why he was spraying, which makes me not want to see her again, and seek other help.

Tulkas will not do well to be rehomed, just due to his dependence on me, and it breaks my heart to think of rehoming Mandos, because he's pretty special too.  I'm open to trying medication, but I've read awful things about Clomicalm.

Sorry for the length.

Help?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your boy doesn't react well to stress and is finding something very stressfull about the current situation. If you haven't done so, I would head back to the vet and ask for a recheck (or find another vet you're comfortable with). The spraying could be due to a health issue, and you'll want to rule that out.

It sounds simple, but do you have a few cat trees? If the boys have suddenly found their living space reduced, they may very well be vying for territory - Mandos by lashing out and Tulkas by spraying or marking. By adding cat trees, you'll give them vertical space to 'claim.' a lot of people have found this very helpful. Is it possible to get more than one litter box in your space? Giving each of them their own box may also help.

Finally, you might want to check out this article: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats. It has some great suggestions for reducing stress for cats that may help you're boys settle down.

I'm sure some of our members have gone through similar situations and will be along soon to offer more suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

idyllsend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It sounds like your boy doesn't react well to stress and is finding something very stressfull about the current situation. If you haven't done so, I would head back to the vet and ask for a recheck (or find another vet you're comfortable with). The spraying could be due to a health issue, and you'll want to rule that out.

It sounds simple, but do you have a few cat trees? If the boys have suddenly found their living space reduced, they may very well be vying for territory - Mandos by lashing out and Tulkas by spraying or marking. By adding cat trees, you'll give them vertical space to 'claim.' a lot of people have found this very helpful. Is it possible to get more than one litter box in your space? Giving each of them their own box may also help.

Finally, you might want to check out this article: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats. It has some great suggestions for reducing stress for cats that may help you're boys settle down.

I'm sure some of our members have gone through similar situations and will be along soon to offer more suggestions.
I don't have cat trees, but I can definitely try that.  There is two windows on each end of the basement and they both like spending time up there, separately, and sometimes together.  There are also book shelves, and they tend to sit and sleep on the higher shelves.

I should have mentioned, but they do have 3 litter boxes between the two of them, all in difference locations [living space, bathroom, laundry room].  Two are large high-back ones, and the other is a medium sized one with an attachable lip that rarely gets used.

There is a cat-only clinic in  a town about a half hour away, and going by their facebook posts they seem to be really dedicated to their patients, so I may have to try them out.  I'm kind of at a loss as I can't change their living situation.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
If the already like climbing, the cat trees might help calm things down. It sounds like the litterboxes aren't the issue.

One other thing as I re-read your post. You'll need to make sure all of the sprayed areas are cleaned with a good enzyme cleaner or its likely they'll go back to those spots. Also, you mentioned Feliway doesn't work for your boys, have you tried some of the herbal calming solutions lime Rescue Remedy? Some people have found their cats do better with those.

It can be tricky to figure out exactly whats causing a specific behavior, but once we do we can make it possible for our cats to relax in almost any living situation,

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went through a 5 month separation of my two sister cats.  I don't want to rehash the story so check out my previous posts for details.  They were separated from Thanksgiving to early April.  

They take prozac every 3 days--I'm weaning them very slowly off the drug.  Inbetween prozac dosages, I rotate dosages of Theanine (supplement used in calming treats), Rescue Remedy and camomile tea.  They still have their moments and I'm always nervous that they will have one serious fight and have to be separated again.  So far they squabble and I can break it up quickly/easily.   Compared to what happened last fall where one sister was maniacal and attacked her sibling in a very aggressive manner.  Hence the prozac.