trouble socializing my 9 week feral Kitten

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually it is said that 8 weeks is a good time to adopt a kitten, but some of this behavior might also be the result of not having been with siblings and mom long enough, or not having enough contact with them due to some circumstances and she does not know how to play or what is acceptable. This is something else that takes time to work on. Substituting a toy can help; by no means let her bite your hand but don't over correct, especially at her age. A little high pitched yelp might remind her of her mother when she did something that hurt like nursed too hard.

My Jamie who was abandoned as a tiny boy is still a hand biter if he gets in the mood although I can go out and hug and kiss him if he is in the mood for that. Alice, my avatar, sister of Elise from the other post is a huge swatter but it means don't walk away from me, like grabbing to bring us back, especially if she is being brushed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think an 8 week old kitten is mostly just a kitten, meaning there are not really "feral" kittens that young -- kittens are too adaptable. A bit young to be separated from mom, there might be *some* consequences, but honestly don't worry him being "feral" or anything like that. Treat him like a kitten and you'll be fine. Some of my kittens have been rescued from the street and they generally do great.

As for the change in behavior, I'm not sure, but it seems that sometimes kittens that are sick or stressed can be more affectionate. So it could just be that she is getting comfortable and doesn't want to be picked up or handled like that. That would be normal - a lot of kittens, you can't pet them except when they are sleepy and picking them up seems to bug them, which is counter productive to building a relationship. You kind of have to let a kitten be the boss of the relationship -- do what it likes and wants. Of course, you can coax or lure, but don't force the kitten. A lof of times you can only real play with the kitten with toys, and can only take affection at the times/places it is allowed by the kitten.

As for biting, not sure if its play or fear. If its play, you can train the kitten not to do it as fionasmom fionasmom suggests.