Trouble introducing new kitten to household with soon to be bred cat

kyle4730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 

I'm new to the forum and am not entirely sure if this is the best play to post this topic, but I was hoping some breeders might have some experience with this kind of situation.

I have an un-spayed 1.5 year-old pure-bred Ragdoll that I'm planning on breeding soon and the other day I acquired another female, an almost 2 month old Silver Persian. The kitten has taken the bedroom while my old cat stays in the rest of the apartment, but always in a position where she can see the kitten, and is extremely vocal about her displeasure, almost constantly whining and hissing. My gentle Ragdoll has even become aggressive towards my partner and I on a few occasions, but has yet to injure either of us. I'm aware that having two un-spayed females is not a good idea but I was hoping there wouldn't be a problem as the kitten is quite young.  

It's only been a few days but I am already beginning to lose hope and am getting progressively worried about my Ragdoll as she doesn't seem to be eating much, or doing anything at all in general, aside from sitting on a chair watching the kitten from the other room. Of course I have tried to give her a lot of attention and feed her her favorite snacks, but she shows no interest, and will occasionally hiss and bat at me when I try to pet or play with her.

Has anyone had this kind of experience and do you have any suggestions? I would be extremely grateful for you advice. 

Thank you! 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats, entires and neuters accept kittens easily. Other cats might take longer, keep them separated for a few weeks and hopefully with a slow into both will adjust. 

Feed your girl in an area she can't see the kitten.

Are you breeding/showing both of them? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyle4730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, I will move her bowls to a more secluded area immediately. 

The Silver Persian is pedigree but I have yet to make a decision as to whether or not I would like to breed her. I have never experienced owning a Persian but I am quite pleased with her disposition and appearance thus far. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 worried about my Ragdoll as she doesn't seem to be eating much, or doing anything at all in general, aside from sitting on a chair watching the kitten from the other room. Of course I have tried to give her a lot of attention and feed her her favorite snacks, but she shows no interest, and will occasionally hiss and bat at me when I try to pet or play with her.

Has anyone had this kind of experience and do you have any suggestions? I would be extremely grateful for you advice. 

Thank you! 
I remember when the kitten and son to our resident stud did come,  our stud was quite baffled. He did accepted the kitten, as being a friendly cat  and always friendly with his visiting ladies (that is why he was allowed to be a stud), but it was also visible he wasnt sure "what tune was played".  Having exactly the behaviour you describe:  not time to play, didnt wanted to be petted, did observed much. pretty high strung.

Suddenly it dawned on him!  This must be an unusual small lady! Ah, so I shall do my duty?!

Here he was wrong, so he got rebuked by us and got thrown into another room.

But after it he accepted the kitten full off, never no more any troubles, he was always very kind even docile to the kitten. Till the kitten himself grew up into a young fertile man. But that is another story...

Here?  a) as always, let her known she is nr 1.  Try to dont play too much with the kitten when she sees it.  Or at least, one of you shall play with her, while the other plays with the kitten...

Avoid to carry the kitten above her level...

She shall have her food first, etc...

Try also with a Feliway diffuser, and also Feliway spray as it is more mobile.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyle4730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips!

I just wanted to give an update. After roughly one week, my older cat, Winnie, has accepted the kitten, Luna. I even caught them sleeping together and grooming each other, which was in all honestly, exactly what I had hoped for. I do get a bit concerned every now and then when Winnie is too rough with Luna. For example, sometimes I'll see her grooming Luna and suddenly it will turn into wrestling. The problem is Winnie will pin her and bite her eventually to the point where Luna will yowl. It seems like this is a common issue from my google searches and it was suggested to just let them play, and as long as there are no injuries, it's not an issue.

Anyways, I am happy for the most part that they appear to have become friends. I'll post some pictures when I am on my home computer.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the tips!

. I do get a bit concerned every now and then when Winnie is too rough with Luna. For example, sometimes I'll see her grooming Luna and suddenly it will turn into wrestling. The problem is Winnie will pin her and bite her eventually to the point where Luna will yowl. It seems like this is a common issue from my google searches and it was suggested to just let them play, and as long as there are no injuries, it's not an issue.
You are lucky it is just rough play.  It is  common there is a moment of dominance show off, the older showing who is the master here. Entirely normal, although you must help the little one some if it goes too much.

Here is Winnie nice enough to let it stay just with rough play.  And yes, their wrestling matches are often quite rough.   :)

Congrats!

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm sorry if l'm derailing your thread a little, but this interests me. The OP has a kitten which s/he may eventually show. Aside from nail clipping and using scratching posts, how does one stop the kitties from scarring or marking each other through rough play. One of my kitties has a small scar at the side of his nose from wrestling with his brothers. l imagine that would be devastating to a show cat, or is that disregarded by the judges?

kittymom88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as you trim nails regularly (and dremel if you're lucky enough to have extremely patient cats) the nails won't be sharp enough to do damage. I'm not currently breeding, but we're owned by 8 cats, and in the 5 years that we've had them, we only had ONE issue with the cats causing visible harm to each other (it was an abscessed ear bite) 

Our street cat Hunter came to us torn to pieces from fighting with toms in the neighborhood. You can't see a scar on his body now!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my kitties has a small scar at the side of his nose from wrestling with his brothers. l imagine that would be devastating to a show cat, or is that disregarded by the judges?
As I understand, if it is apparent is was an acquired and well healed wound, they accept it.  If he was borne with it, it would be more serious.   The question is, what happens if the wound is fresh and not really healed.  HERE I think he could be stopped. By the vet at entrance, of by the judges later on...

We had once an embarrasement.  Our cats are checked up by the Show vet at the entrance.  And she discovers a fresh bite on the ear of our younger stud.  Not bleeding, but it can be clearly seen a bite... We felt awkward and reddened, She laughed friendly, and let us in.  The judge didnt said anything about the ear.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shows are also vetted at the door, any fresh scratch with blood would not be allowed through. A healed scar is not generally such a problem, I have one with a scar on the outside of an ear who was still shown with great success.