Trouble Getting Cat To Eat

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 18 year old cat who I can’t get to eat. I’ve opened several different cans, which she has eaten in the past. Even tried the baby food, which in the past when she’s lost her appetite has nudged into eating again but she’s not interested in that now. I have no problem with her drinking….I’m very worried on how I can get her to eat…she looks at me like she’s telling me she’s hungry but I don’t know what to do. The past few days she has spit up a foamy liquid.
I’ve tried different textures and flavors..if she eats any it’s less than a teaspoon and that’s not too often.
Any suggestions, please…I know she’s old but I want her to live as long as possible…

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's so tough when they don't want to eat. Have you tried food toppers like Churu or sprinkling Fortiflora over her food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your cat have any health issues - perhaps something that is causing inappetence? Is she on any appetite stimulant or anti-nausea meds?

There are tons of toppers you can try, just look them up on the internet. In addition to Churu, there are Squeeze Ups, Catit, Tiki Cat, Vitakraft, Temptations, and on and on. Sometimes crushed up dry food or cat treats can also be used as a topper, maybe even bonito flakes. There are also things like Lil Gravies, Lil Shakes, Delectable Bisques & Stews. Find some that she is interested in and interchange them, so she doesn't get the same one all the time. I find I have to do that with Feeby (18+ yo) to keep her interested in them.

Spitting up foamy liquid sounds like acid build up in her stomach, probably from not eating enough food to absorb the acids. If nothing else, try cooking some human chicken, maybe adding some low sodium broth to it and see if she will eat that with a bit of her own food added. It can't hurt to try giving her some tuna, to see if that might jump start her eating better again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she pooping ok? I know when my family had a senior cat, whenever she stopped eating, she tended to be constipated.

Spitting up the foamy liquid could be because her stomach is empty.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There might be something here to help;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Also this may have some info regarding water;
This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com
Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the post above. I would get her to the vet. An older cat that's not eating could be almost anything. It's better not to wait. At a minimum, she's going to be dehydrated if she hasn't been eating well for the last couple of days. I would ask for lab work and fluids. While you are there, you can ask about Hills A/D which is meant for sick cats who aren't eating. It's highly appealing and high in calories so she doesn't have to eat as much of it. If she likes the A/D, I recommend mixing it with another food because she likely won't eat very much of the A/D by itself. This will also help you transition her back to her regular food as she feels up to it.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Fortiflora as a topper or I chop up dry cat food in the magic bullet and sprinkle that over.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when my cats refuse to eat. Even a teaspoon a few times a day will get them through their illness. Found in the treat section. it is the ONLY thing my sick cats will take a few licks of.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she pooping ok? I know when my family had a senior cat, whenever she stopped eating, she tended to be constipated.

Spitting up the foamy liquid could be because her stomach is empty.
This is my girl cat to a tee. She eats so-so on a good day but every now and then -- last night actually -- it's like a switch gets flipped and she just stops eating. She poops every day but sometimes she'll do a string of smaller poops and get backed up a bit. After she poops, and it's not like its a "MEGA" movement, she'll be right back to eating normally. Sometimes I can "stimulate" this process if I suspect she's backed up by carrying her to the litterbox and if she has to go she'll go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didn’t update, but there were a lot of things going on here. I was able to get her to start eating again and she was OK up until this past week when she stopped all together eating again, not even the baby food so I do have an appointment with the vet for her and I’m thinking it might be problems with her teeth.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think it might be her teeth, you can get a prescription for buprenorphine (slightly easier to give) or gabapentin and see if her appetite comes back with some pain relief. This might be a necessary bridge treatment depending on how long it might take to get a dental appointment (at least a month here.)