Triple Antibiotic For Cats?

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone! I have two kittens that have started having a red, runny, slightly swollen eye. I have wiped them with warm water and I read all over the place that neosporin can be used for their eyes. So I put some regular old neosporin ointment in their eyes just a few minutes ago. Then the internet called to me, and I found something where a vet was saying that polymyxin b (ingredient in neosporin) is a a huge no no for cats and can cause anaphylaxis and death!! Now i'm freaked out! Should I go wipe it out? And if not how often should I be applying it? Help!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the neosporin with pain reliever is a big no for cats. i think some use the regular, without pain reliever for minor skin injuries. But honestly i would never put it in my eyes, or a cats eyes. you will want to call your vet about this.

Kittens will often get eye infections, these can normally be taken care of fairly easily with antibiotic drops from the vet. If they are taken in early enough, to get the correct medication. The longer you wait for vet care the worse it will be for the kittens. Blindness or the loss of the eyes can happen with untreated infections.

Do keep us updated, i will worry about your guys. keeping my fingers crossed! :crossfingers:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with duckpond duckpond do call the vet and kittens eyes with infections.

One of my girls has a slightly injured eye, small cut, I think you and me may have read the same article.

From what I understand, some of the Neosporin/polysporin ointments have a slight pain killer ingredient in them. This can be dangerous for the cat if ingested a lot and cats do tend to wipe their faces and licks their paws right after.

I've been okay'd to use a child saline drop solution to keep the eye clean, but, her's is a small cut, not an infection. Eyes like you described really do need a doctor. XO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have been keeping an eye (no pun intended) on them and wiping their eyes with warm water, since this is Saturday and the first day anything has really shown up. They actually are looking better, their mood certainly isn't affected, they are still tearing around the house. I'll update again later!

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the neosporin with pain reliever is a big no for cats. i think some use the regular, without pain reliever for minor skin injuries. But honestly i would never put it in my eyes, or a cats eyes. you will want to call your vet about this.

Kittens will often get eye infections, these can normally be taken care of fairly easily with antibiotic drops from the vet. If they are taken in early enough, to get the correct medication. The longer you wait for vet care the worse it will be for the kittens. Blindness or the loss of the eyes can happen with untreated infections.

Do keep us updated, i will worry about your guys. keeping my fingers crossed! :crossfingers:
I didn't put any more on their eyes, but I had made sure that it did not have the pain reliever before I bought it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neosporin is not an eye ointment. It is a topical ointment to be used on skin only. Can you get the kittens to a vet and get a proper eye ointment? Terramycin is one brand.

Polymyxin B is an antibiotic and is in many eye ointments. It is pain reliever in Neopsorin and other OTC skin ointments (usually paramoxin HCL) that is a big no no for cats :nono: Be cwary of what Dr. Google and the Internet says. Many of the information out there is incorrect.

Never give an OTC product or home remedy product found online to a pet without consulting your vet first. Be way of those online vet consult web sites, too. You have no idea of the person on the other end is a real licensed vet currently practicing veterinary medicine or a troll.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update this morning... pretty much a complete overnight recovery! When I got home last night, the boy's eyes were totally clear, but the little girl's left eye was still quite red. I wiped both their eyes with water again and when I got up this morning, they look great! Idk if they just got irritated by something, or if I caught it early enough, but they are doing wonderfully! I'll post pics too

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful!

Very glad that they are healing well!

I am sure you are keeping such a great watch on them that they'll heal completely and continue their Kitty world domination plan. :-)