Trip To Vet Too Stressful Or Something Else?

MRK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not know what to think and I would welcome your opinions.
Three weeks ago I lost my cat Sadie Blue, she was 15 and acting normal till one day when she started to go everywhere except in the litter box, I took it to the vet the next day for tests and the results were so bad, that very painfully I had to let her go, it totally blindsided me.
I have another cat Kia, that is 11 and yesterday I took her to the vet to have a total check up, because I didn't want to go through that experience again. She was acting a bit different, I thought missing her companion, but otherwise eating, drinking and going to the little box.
She has been overweight most of her life, although she doesn't eat too much, but is very laid back and doesn't want to play much although I try to make her move.
The vet ran tests on her and all came out perfect. She recommended to change foods to help her with the weight. I was happy and relieved.

It was a fight to take her there, hissing and trying to bite (not her regular behavior), there she was scared... I know how stressful it is for some pet the trip to the vet, it's bad for her, but in a couple hours she used to be back to normal.

Today, it is 10am and she has not eaten anything since last night, she is not drinking either, she is not playing, just laying down. Could this still be related to yesterday? I have not changed her food yet, but last night she had lose stools. I can not believe if the Vet said she is perfect, now she is acting like this.

Sorry if I am getting over concerned, but I am so afraid of losing another kitty.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have lost Sadie Blue, it's so sad when we lose our companions. Take heart that the vet gave Kia a clean bill of health. It could well be that she is missing her companion and is starting to realise that she is not coming back. My 16yo took a couple months to get back to normal when I lost my 14yo. Spend as much time with Kia as you can, playing with her, spoiling her or just talking to her. She doesnt understand what has happened so give her time, it's early days for both of you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well (1) you changed foods; (2) you mentioned your cat normally isn't very active and (3) something stressful happened yesterday. Its probably some combination of all these things. Did you switch to the new food 100% or mix it? Mixing in some of the old and new makes the transition easier. Of course, if the cat likes the new food right off the bat, isn't an issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Condolences on the loss of your Sadie Blue. :alright: RIP sweet girl. :angel: We have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you can post a tribute to her, when/if you feel up to it.

Has Kia eaten anything since you brought her home from the vet? Or is it just today that she's not eating. It could certainly be stress from the vet visit, especially since she had diarrhea last night.

Maybe try enticing her to eat with treats, or stinky fish like tuna or sardines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well (1) you changed foods; (2) you mentioned your cat normally isn't very active and (3) something stressful happened yesterday. Its probably some combination of all these things. Did you switch to the new food 100% or mix it? Mixing in some of the old and new makes the transition easier. Of course, if the cat likes the new food right off the bat, isn't an issue.
I'm so sorry you have lost Sadie Blue, it's so sad when we lose our companions. Take heart that the vet gave Kia a clean bill of health. It could well be that she is missing her companion and is starting to realise that she is not coming back. My 16yo took a couple months to get back to normal when I lost my 14yo. Spend as much time with Kia as you can, playing with her, spoiling her or just talking to her. She doesnt understand what has happened so give her time, it's early days for both of you.
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

So it would be "normal", that she is not back to normal for a few more weeks, missing Sadie. I guess I will be patient, but gosh! I am so worried now that something will happen to Kia.

The visit to the vet and the recommendation to change foods was yesterday, so I had no time to even go to buy it. I had not changed it yet, and thanks also for the reminder of mixing it and not give new one by itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Condolences on the loss of your Sadie Blue. :alright: RIP sweet girl. :angel: We have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you can post a tribute to her, when/if you feel up to it.

Has Kia eaten anything since you brought her home from the vet? Or is it just today that she's not eating. It could certainly be stress from the vet visit, especially since she had diarrhea last night.

Maybe try enticing her to eat with treats, or stinky fish like tuna or sardines.
Thank you for the welcome and the invite to post a tribute to my little Sadie. I will in a few days.
Kia ate yesterday normally, last night only a couple morsels of dry food, today is when she had refused to eat for about 3 hours.
I did as you suggested, offered a couple treats and she ate them, then went to the food bowl and ate a bit. So I hope is just the stress of the vet.

Thank you for your support everyone. I wished I would have found this board earlier and join under better circumstances, but I will participate to share my experiences (I had 4 kitties along the years), in case it helps someone.