Trimming The Front Talons!

TheresaB96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fuzzle is 7 months...rambu rambunctious, and fun. I have tried trimming claws and it takes forever. Any tips on using these and making things easier on us both!? Yes, little dude has a scratching post!♥

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are those dog toenail clippers?

They look a lot bigger than the ones I have for my cat, which are 3" in length (from the end of handle to tip of scissors).

You might need a smaller pair to make sure the clipping is a bit more accurate and you don't accidentally cut the "quick" in the cat's nails.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fuzzle is 7 months...rambu rambunctious, and fun. I have tried trimming claws and it takes forever. Any tips on using these and making things easier on us both!? Yes, little dude has a scratching post!♥
Are these new clippers?
You want them new, somewhat new, or sharpened. Sharp nail clippers = no squeezing of the nail/nail bed which most cats and dogs hate and will let you know about.
If he's crazy rambunctious, he's a honorary Bruce Tribe member. Mine are nuts.
If he likes toys and wands and all fuzzy feather things, wear that boy out until he can barely walk a straight line or keep from dozing when the toy disappears for 1/2 second, and then attempt.
When he's sleepy and sweet (acting :lol2:), handle his paws without the nail clippers. Gently extend the nail out and let it retract. If you can do this with one nail in front, one in back, leave your success alone and let him fall asleep.
Goal is to make your cat think you're a weirdo who likes their feet but never hurts their feet. They accept our weird foot-weirdness in time, but it takes time!
And don't get overzealous about taking length off. Clip the very tips and accept the fact he'll sharpen them in no time flat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheresaB96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a member of Bruce Tribe . Dude is 7 lbs almost and lots of floof bit he is quick! Ninja Fuzzle! I will have to try these tips and hints, and also the one to get smaller clippers. These were labeled "pet". Do they make cat-specific ones!? If so, I have never seen them. Halp

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cats paws are small and their digits are closed to each other. A small nail clipper makes the job easier.

Like what the above posters mentioned, use a smaller clipper. My boy has a pet clipper but personally, I like to use a good quality surgical steel human nail clipper which is about the size of an adult pinkie.
My boy is very smart, he knows I'm holding something in my hand and he'll get ready to take cover and keep his paws under him :lol:

So I clip his nails when he has gone to sleep for awhile and do it when he's drowsy. I try to do all his paws at one go but sometimes its impossible and so I do whatever I can and continue the next day.

As with any clippers, if the cat is uncooperative, what I did initially with my boy his let him smell the clipper and after he smelled it, I walk away and come back later. I'll then touch his paws and pat it and hold in my hand and gently press the paw to expose the claws without cutting them yet. Once he kinda gotten use to the touch, then I'll cut his nails.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wait until they are embedded in my arm, then yank my arm back really quick. :lol: