Trimming the claws of a 6 month old kitten who has a hissy fit

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a house call cat groomer. I groom a young cat who was adopted from a shelter a few months ago. He is very friendly and will walk right up to anyone.  He is very playful too. This little fellow does not like to be held. Even when his humans hold him, he only puts up with it for a short time, after which he nips them.

The first time I groomed him, I used an e-collar, gloves and did the kitty burrito wrap. 

Today I tried just wearing gloves and using a towel. I finished one paw, then he turned into a wiggling hissing dervish. I'm going back later this week, at his nap time (midday) to see if he is more relaxed then.

I know I can burrito-wrap him into submission, but would prefer to figure out a way to make this less of an ordeal for him.  I don't think it's the claw trim that bothers him, so much as being held.

Any success stories with young, hyper kitties?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not for a groomer, unfortunately, as it takes the slowly, slowly approach...

With kitties who just hate it I've just done one or two claws, before they realise what's really happening and then let them go before it gets nasty.  And I use distraction and treats.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, like Mani my only success has been one or two claws at a time, doing in while the cat was chilled and choosing to be stroked. Talking calmly and trying to keep it as stress free as possible. Strategy doesn't work if it's hurried and you're covered in protective gear! 

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You can try a cat muzzle. My cat, Lucy, became too difficult for me to trim her nails.  She was biting and fighting me.  Wrapping her up made it worse.  Now, I slip the muzzle on and since she can't see, she will stay still.  She growls and probably is cursing me out with the foulest cat language possible, but I can get to all of the front nails in about 2 minutes and then we're done.  She is sitting on the floor the whole time I'm handling her paws so I'm not struggling with her.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Basically what's been said above.  With careful and consistent use of treats, one of mine will now stay still while I trim all 10 front nails; the other will tolerate one paw at a time (so 5 nails at once). I kind of hold them between my legs quite firmly (but not roughly) as I do it and speak to them in a  very gentle voice throughout. I find holding them with my legs makes them less panicky than trying to wrap in a towel.

You may have to start with just one claw at a time, then a treat, and spread the ordeal out over several days.  With time, and consistency, it will get better but it may take a long while and even then, you may only be able to do a few nails at once.

Good luck.