Trimming Claws by Yourself

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Mamanyt1953, it's always difficult at first. If your cat won't let you handle her paws under other circumstances, that's the first thing to concentrate on. You want to start petting her paws, telling her how soft and beautiful they are, how much prettier than furless hands, and give her treats while you do it.

Once she's okay with that, the next step is trimming fur between toes. Not much, you don't actually need to get the scissors between her toes, just the stuff that's sticking out, with nice sharp little scissors, so they cut rather than grabbing and pulling the fur.

When she's okay with that, you try for a single claw, being very careful not to hurt her. Then you tell her what a brave kitty she is, and give her more treats. Eventually you can work up to several claws at a time.

And do none of this at a time when she's just been playing. Drowsy is much better than hyper.

Some cats will never allow claw trimming without either towel wrapping or sedation. Basically, these are cats who've had a very traumatic claw trimming in the past. Some breeders, for instance, are known to deliberately cut into the quick. But none of my cats have ever been untrainable. They don't actually like having their claws clipped, but they do tolerate it without getting violent toward me.

And, BTW, except for extraordinary circumstances, it isn't worth it to even try for the claws on her hind feet.

Margret
Why would breeders purposely cut into the quick?
No way can I trim blighty's claws. I can trim whisky's if he's on my lap! facing me with no problem. I don't do his back legs.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would breeders purposely cut into the quick?
No way can I trim blighty's claws. I can trim whisky's if he's on my lap! facing me with no problem. I don't do his back legs.
Either they're sadistic people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near animals or children, or they just don't want to be bothered doing it every week or so, in which case they're sadistic cowards who should never be allowed near animals or children.

Margret

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaguely remember hearing that if you hit the quick just a little bit, it will recede and the next time you can cut it back further before hitting the quick. Basically a way of getting nails really short. I think it's more for show purposes perhaps (my sister showed dogs). Not sure if cats are the same way though, or if there are rules on how long their nails are.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaguely remember hearing that if you hit the quick just a little bit, it will recede and the next time you can cut it back further before hitting the quick. Basically a way of getting nails really short. I think it's more for show purposes perhaps (my sister showed dogs). Not sure if cats are the same way though, or if there are rules on how long their nails are.
But why would anybody want to cut the quick knowingit'll hurt the cat. Not just sadism.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

But why would anybody want to cut the quick knowingit'll hurt the cat. Not just sadism.
 Donutte just explained that in the quote you quoted

They do it as a way of training the nails to be short.
  But, as Donutte points out, it happens for dogs and she's not sure about cats.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a two person job for us (one person holding and one person cutting), and we use the small scissor style trimmer to cut ONLY THE VERY TIP of her claws where it gets very pointy. We go nowhere near the quick and would rather trim very little but more frequently. We've done this about 4 times now, and she now knows it won't hurt so she's comfortable and no longer squirming to let loose. Of course we give her her favorite wet food as a treat immediately after and praise her lots.

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I trim it right before the quick on the ones where I can clearly see it. Or when they aren't squirming so much. My two senior girls are declawed and the youngin's sometimes get over-zealous when trying to play with the older girls (who don't really want to play). So yeah, they get trimmed as much as I am able and every two weeks.

It's amazing how much they can grow those talons in just two weeks!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had much trouble from Angel when I trimmed his nails. I would only trim the ones that seemed to be really sharp. I just sat in a chair with his back against me, (like a child sitting in your lap), & did them. I also had the scissor style kitty clippers. He didn't love it, * whined the whole time, but didn't squirm too much. I was never afraid of cutting the quick, (as long as he was still enough. I never cut if he started moving too much, just to be safe) since you can see it through their nail, vs/ not being able to see a dogs. I'd be scared to do a dogs for that reason. 

It's just me here, so I had to do it alone. Plus, when it was time to do it, I would say, "It's mani, pedi time."  

I'm sure he didn't think that was funny!  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never had much trouble from Angel when I trimmed his nails. I would only trim the ones that seemed to be really sharp. I just sat in a chair with his back against me, (like a child sitting in your lap), & did them. I also had the scissor style kitty clippers. He didn't love it, * whined the whole time, but didn't squirm too much. I was never afraid of cutting the quick, (as long as he was still enough. I never cut if he started moving too much, just to be safe) since you can see it through their nail, vs/ not being able to see a dogs. I'd be scared to do a dogs for that reason. 

It's just me here, so I had to do it alone. Plus, when it was time to do it, I would say, "It's mani, pedi time."  

I'm sure he didn't think that was funny!  
On dogs there is a special trick so you can see where the quick is also. If you look under the nail there is a really clear line were the quick is. Even on dark nails this shows since the line is white. 

I've never had trouble from my cats when it comes to nail clipping (except for Angua's messed up claw) but the dog is impossible. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

On dogs there is a special trick so you can see where the quick is also. If you look under the nail there is a really clear line were the quick is. Even on dark nails this shows since the line is white. 

I've never had trouble from my cats when it comes to nail clipping (except for Angua's messed up claw) but the dog is impossible. 
Well that's good to know. ...Although, I don't have a dog. I never knew that. 
 I grew up with a peek-a-poo, but my parents did the nail trimmings. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a battery operator claw trimmer: It basically files the claw down with a rotating emery board-like thing. Getting most cats to hold still for the trimmer to work will be dfficult. Instead of a quick one second clip with a regular clipper, it'll probably take at least 30 seconds or so for the battery operated trimmer to file down a sharp claw down.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, i've seen that on tv, but think the sound & vibration would freak the cat out. I also wonder if it would get kinda warm or hot for them. :/

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the tip about the dogs! I've freaked out trimming their nails. I can't even trim the one's nails because she just rolls around and around, can't get her to stay still. But the other's I can't see very well the usual way, so I will do this now!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a battery operator claw trimmer: http://www.amazon.com/PediPaws-3269-6-Pet-Nail-Trimmer/dp/B001FMHZSC It basically files the claw down with a rotating emery board-like thing. Getting most cats to hold still for the trimmer to work will be dfficult. Instead of a quick one second clip with a regular clipper, it'll probably take at least 30 seconds or so for the battery operated trimmer to file down a sharp claw down.
It's worse than that.  I just read the reviews.  The only good one was from a guy who had clipped his dog's claws the night before, and just needed to smooth them a bit.

Other reviews said that it has only one speed, and friction causes it to get painfully hot within about 8 seconds.  Also, that it has a guard that blocks your view of the claw, and that it runs through batteries fast.  And since it uses C batteries, you can't even get lithium ion batteries for it to extend battery life.

Until I read the reviews I was thinking of getting one to use on the nails of my left (guitar chording) hand.

Margret

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is making ne think of my mom's tortie. I can generally get all of her claws done on my own. She doesn't like it but neither of us get hurt. When I wasn't around she got taken to the vet for clipping where she apparently went nuts and required three people a towel and a cat muzzle... and I don't think they got all the nails down either.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing that's always helped with my cats is to show them the clippers first, instead of coming at them with it out of the blue.  They head-butt the clippers and are far more relaxed when I go to use them.  One cat has been trained to lie down when I show him the clippers, because I always gave him a treat after he did that.  Most convenient!

The other tip is to BE relaxed when you go to clip their claws, and don't force it.  Your state of mind is actually the most important ingredient. Different things work with different cats, so you have to modify what you're doing based on your cats' reaction.  If all you can get is one claw at a time, so be it.  Follow each claw with a treat and petting/praise.  I started doing this consciously when one of them was a kitten, and he tolerates it very well now.  Once I cut into the quick and that still didn't faze him (poor thing).  With the other one, I didn't start this technique until he was around a year old, so it took longer - but now he is easy to clip.  I pick him up and put him in my lap when he's relaxed and do both front paws in one shot.  

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's worse than that.  I just read the reviews.  The only good one was from a guy who had clipped his dog's claws the night before, and just needed to smooth them a bit.

Other reviews said that it has only one speed, and friction causes it to get painfully hot within about 8 seconds.  Also, that it has a guard that blocks your view of the claw, and that it runs through batteries fast.  And since it uses C batteries, you can't even get lithium ion batteries for it to extend battery life.

Until I read the reviews I was thinking of getting one to use on the nails of my left (guitar chording) hand.

Margret
Not everything needs a battery to be better. There is an ongoing debate with horse owners if tool powered floating tools generate heat and can cause a horses tooth to crack or even damage the root. ( horses get points on their teeth that need to be filed down on occasion ). Not only that the battery operated claw files I've seen are huge and bulky. You can keep an small file handy to get any ragged edge with a clipper. They do need to be replaced now and then. There is a reason the basic shape of the ones we're so familiar with haven't changed. They work.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently use the scissor-type clippers, but I ordered this guillotine-style one to try!  Thanks!

My kitty doesn't like getting her claws trimmed, but she will tolerate it with lots of kisses and a couple treats. :)  I just hold her in my lap and snip one by one.  I've always loved to hug her and touch her paws, so maybe she just got used to it and accepted that it's going to happen even if she protests :D

She is less tolerant of hugs, not to mention nail trims!, from my husband :p