Tried everything

nan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to read that your kitty is having a litter box problem.
I am no stranger to that one.
I have several kitties who do not use the litter box....mostly all for different reasons.
My solution for this problem is to spread papers in their fave spots to go. Most of the time they use the papers. I also invested in a carpet cleaner and some special detergent that gets out stains easily.
One of the kitties I have has arthritis really bad in his back legs and it is painful(I am guessing here) for him to get in and out of the litter box. He is one of the good ones who always uses the paper.
I have others who spray because they enjoy doing it and it is a problem. But what can I do. I just clean it up. I scold them but it does no good. I have had several vets tell me that the number one reason cats are put to sleep is because of inappropriate urinating and defacation. Sad but true. My sister had one of her cats put to sleep because she kept urinating on the floor.
I do hope you can resolve your problem.
I also am against declawing. I think it is a cruel and unnessary thing to do. But I don't hold it against anyone who does it. If it is a choice between declawing and having a home...well I would pick the latter. My sister has 2 cats and she had them declawed and they are doing just fine,but it isn't for me or any of my cats.

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oracle

I am questioning the whole declaw issue on this topic as the reason for bringing it up eludes me given the situation. I am also reading the words of the users like "And do some research on declawing so that you will be better informed next time you have a cat." which assumes the original poster does not have the slightest idea what a declaw is since they elected to have one performed on their cat. I'm sensing more than a concensus here, more of an attitude towards issues that perhaps get in the way of legitimate advice.
When I said this there was nothing about how long ago the declaw was.

And yes, I assum that the original poster wasn't aware that declawing a cat is the same as amputating his fingers at the first knuckle, and I assume that if he'd known that's what it was that he would have chosen not to destroy his baby's paw and elect to use Soft Paws as an alternative to declawing. Most people who declaw have NO IDEA what it entails and that it's not just cutting off fingernails, but actually amputating part of their feet. Many vets don't inform people and some actually suggest a declaw. Why would I NOT assume that the OP did not know? Better than assuming that he was just heartless and thought more about his furniture than his cat's health.

As someone else said, if you bring your pro-declaw stuff onto this board, be prepared for a flame war. You agreed to it when you signed up.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oracle...I honestly had no agenda when I posted this:

The fact that your cat is declawed gives us some insight into other things that may be causing him to not want to use the litterbox
I know that declawing can cause some issues in some cats...so I wanted to thank the poster for letting us know his cat was declawed...I started creating my post before the OP had responded and when I hit the send button...well it was only then that I saw that the cat had been declawed over 6 monthes ago...however, I still felt it was worth keeping as it is something to consider when taking the cat to the vet for an exam. As far as the part that reads...please do not feel judged...well..perhaps that was misworded. I will erase that part since it really isn't relavent.

Katie