Trick Of The Light?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The past few months have been hell for my family. Much worry and fear and heatbreak. I know I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted. That is probably why I "saw" this, but the image is stuck in my mind...
My partner, who is gravely ill, was napping in the bedroom. As I tip-toed in the bedroom to get something I glanced over at her. Lying stretched out beside her was an enormous cat. I did a doubletake and looked again. No cat, just her. I stared for a long time trying to figure out how I could have seen this big black kitty when obviously there isn't one there. The blanket didn't look cat shaped or anything.
It was so odd. I would think that if my mind was playing tricks on me I would have "seen" one of our dearly departed babies. This cat was a stranger to me. Big, beautiful, solid black, short hair.
I know it had to be a trick of the light combined with stress, but oddly it made me feel better. In that second, I felt contentment.
It's been a few days but I still can't get the image of this happy kitty out of my mind. I even joked with my partner that it was like I was visited by the patron saint of cat lovers to tell me things will eventually be OK.
Has anyone else seen "phantom kitties" during times of great stress, or have I just completely gone off the deep end?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm truly sorry about your partner, weebeasties weebeasties . :hugs:

Maybe this is your (or your partner's) guardian angel, taking the form of a cat because you both truly love cats. And this is how she's watching over your partner. And you did feel peace at that time.

Many years ago, right before Rick was taken very ill, I awakened early one morning. I opened my eyes and saw an old woman sitting on the bed next to Rick. As I watched, she stood up, looked over at me and smiled. I still say to this day that she was Rick's paternal grandmother. She walked slowly to the foot of the bed and she was gone. I wasn't scared, I felt an incredible peace. Not too long after that was when Rick became ill and he was hospitalized for a while. I was scared, but yet I knew that he would be OK. And strange to say, if he wasn't going to be OK, I knew that, in the end, it would all work out. And that whatever happened would just happen. I can't explain it.

In this crazy world we live in, we seldom have time to actually feel peace and contentment. For that minute or so, I'm so glad that you did. I wish you and your partner well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many things that can't be explained. Many more that once we start rationalizing, and going over again and again what happened, we 'explain' them away. Just accept. You saw what you saw for a reason. That cat was meant to give you a sign, a sign that your partner, your life, are being watched over. That you are not alone. It was a cat, because cats are important to you both. The fact that you felt no fear, that you felt at peace, means everything. It was good, it was spiritual, and it was sent to help you in your time of need.
Don't explain it away, it was a sign sent just for you, because you needed it at the time, you called out and the answer was sent to you. I wish we all could see these signs, I'm sure many are sent that aren't. I have seen them, and the feelings they bring on are so strong at the moment they can forever change a life, but they also fade over time. I wish we could keep that feeling forever fresh, that wonderment forever present. You have been blessed to see a guardian, no matter what, you are not alone.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guardian angel, spirit guide, or maybe just the part of your mind that knows important things, sending you a message - it doesn't matter. The message is the same whatever the source: "It'll be okay." Accept it, and allow it to comfort you.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your kind words.:)
Logic tells me the big black cat was a figment of my imagination...but I so want it to be more...
Regardless, whatever it was, it did fill me with a sense of peace and contentment that I haven't felt in a while. Things don't seem as bleak as they did.
So as Margret Margret said, it doesn't really matter where it came from, just hold on to the comfort it gave me.
And who knows...maybe someday when things are better...maybe a sweet black kitty will come along that needs a home. If it does, I think I have a name picked out. Serenity sounds just right.:)
:bigeyes:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Many years ago, my beloved cat, Ming, died. I had her for 17 years.

A week later, I was driving around the outside of a large parking garage, in front of where I worked. I saw a maintenance man sweeping the sidewalk, and I swore that I saw Ming there, at his feet. Ming must have been my imagination playing tricks on me, as the man didn't seem to see her there, and I looked again to see if there really was a cat there--but there wasn't.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you ask your partner if there was a big black kitty in his past? Maybe the cat was part of his history watching over him...Just a thought.
I had an experience whe walking my dog at night on my brothers house. We got to the corner house and WE both heard a lady crying. I didn't want scare her so I went to my brother and told him to go check on her. He turned WHITE and told me the woman had died a few months before from Cancer!!!! I am a believer!