**TREATS~~> How Often??

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raven gets them whenever he wants. But that's because he has cancer and he has days where all he eats are his treats. (which are mostly Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold, and one other kind of "junky" dry food) I also have several other treats open, but they seem to go stale fast so I'm moving more towards the cheap dry kibbles for treats. My other 2 cats get a couple treats if they see Raven is getting treats. They get jealous otherwise. But they don't get nearly as much as he does, and often don't want any treats.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't get excited about treats. I only give her one when she gets upset, like after I've put a couple Soft Claws on her.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started giving my kitty treats so that she would be distracted as I left for work because she would follow me to the door. Now she knows that when I have my shoes on-I'm leaving for work and that means she gets a treat! She has me trained well.
She doesn't really beg for treats but I give it to her at least twice a day.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give treats often. I don't buy the "junk food treats" since I feed a high quality diet, I stick with high quality treats. Small parts of cooked meats work well too.
My main reason for giving treats is so kitty will come to me when called. I feel it will be important someday when she gets out or is somewhere she isn't suppose to be and it isn't safe. It works too. She comes running to the key word and gets lots of treats. She is an inside kitty and I worry sometimes about her getting out, but she will come when called since she is so food motivated.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I give treats often. I don't buy the "junk food treats" since I feed a high quality diet, I stick with high quality treats. Small parts of cooked meats work well too.
My main reason for giving treats is so kitty will come to me when called. I feel it will be important someday when she gets out or is somewhere she isn't suppose to be and it isn't safe. It works too. She comes running to the key word and gets lots of treats. She is an inside kitty and I worry sometimes about her getting out, but she will come when called since she is so food motivated.
You make an excellent point. Getting kitty to come when called can be very important. I used to live in an apartment building and one night we had a fire and had to evacuate. Fortunately for me, at the time my Siamese (Susie) would always come to me when I whistled Yankee Doodle so she came running and we left the building until the danger was over.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get chicken wings and giblets whenever they are on sale and I freeze them.
I give raw giblets (two each) to my kitties that don't believe in chewing and raw wings to my chewers and my dog.
Usually about once a week.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You make an excellent point. Getting kitty to come when called can be very important.
We call all cat food "nummies" in our house (aw, leave me alone
) and all we have to do is say the word and Jack comes running no matter where he is. I've never had to try it in an emergency, but I hope it would work.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last time my mother watched my cat she kept complaining that he wakes her up early every morning. Well, then I discovered that she was giving him (my treat addicted kitty) treats at 4:00am when she got up to go to the bathroom.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat LOVES treats....but she doesn't get them everyday and for no reason.
She gets them for being extra good and well "trained" and yes I mean trained!

No one who watches us can believe it, but....
She always comes to me when I call her..I get her comb and pat the sink vanity in the bathroom where I brush her...she climbs up and lays down...immediately starts purring up a storm...and we brush and share a little girl talk (usually about how pretty she is).

Then she stays there and waits for me to get her toothbrush and we brush her teeth.
and THEN I ask her if she wants a treat for being sooo good and she jumps down and runs to the stash of treats!
She's really a hoot to watch!
And then of course she gets treats after a nail trimming too. She doesn't love this one as much, but she tolerates it pretty well.
She loves the pitter pat treats and occasionally a greenie.