Treats for Cat with FLUTD

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They said they could have done a culture to find out exactly what causes it. Which I wish I did that but the bill was already $1,370 I couldn’t afford anymore test. I think maybe he got into something that caused it. I also blamed myself cause I thought I caused it by letting him have milk. Having OCD & Anxiety is not fun to deal with regularly adding a fur baby getting sick whew it’s worse. I have to pay off Care Credit first so I’m hoping to avoid any more emergencies with any of my furbabies. It’s one of these times I wish animals can talk to tell us what is going on.
Take a look at the FLUTD articles we posted. There are TONS of information on how to prevent it from reoccurring. One thing that can help with anxiety is knowing prevention measures and signs to watch for. After you get some rest, you'll be able to intake the information 😸 swift recovery to your kitty!

The vet must have some reason to think FLUTD and not just a UTI or they wouldn't write it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take a look at the FLUTD articles we posted. There are TONS of information on how to prevent it from reoccurring. One thing that can help with anxiety is knowing prevention measures and signs to watch for. After you get some rest, you'll be able to intake the information 😸 swift recovery to your kitty!

The vet must have some reason to think FLUTD and not just a UTI or they wouldn't write it.
Oh he doesn’t have the anxiety I do 😂 Scooter is otherwise a healthy wonderful boy. He has my other cat Casper to play with and he has my dog Nera too. It’s almost 2 weeks since it happened and he is acting like his normal self I think he even has more energy. I’m not sure why she came to that cause soon as she said blood in his urine thst concerned her I basically froze cause it’s not what I wanted to hear. When I picked him up the next day I heard bacterial infection that if we wanted her to do a test to see where it came from. I would have done but it was already costing $1,370. The diagnostic on the paper given to me just says Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease- Bacteria In Urine. We got sent home with antibiotics and 2 pain meds which that I don’t get. His check up last Thursday went well cause there was no talk of crystals or stones. Just to keep monitoring his urine which has been fine since.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh he doesn’t have the anxiety I do 😂 Scooter is otherwise a healthy wonderful boy. He has my other cat Casper to play with and he has my dog Nera too. It’s almost 2 weeks since it happened and he is acting like his normal self I think he even has more energy. I’m not sure why she came to that cause soon as she said blood in his urine thst concerned her I basically froze cause it’s not what I wanted to hear. When I picked him up the next day I heard bacterial infection that if we wanted her to do a test to see where it came from. I would have done but it was already costing $1,370. The diagnostic on the paper given to me just says Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease- Bacteria In Urine. We got sent home with antibiotics and 2 pain meds which that I don’t get. His check up last Thursday went well cause there was no talk of crystals or stones. Just to keep monitoring his urine which has been fine since.
I understood that you meant you had anxiety and not the cat :)

I'm also not trying to push you to get more testing. I fully understand that sometimes we are not able to do further. When Nobel first had blood in the urine, the vet wanted me to do $2500 of testing that I didn't have. I did the basics.

Blood in the urine without crystals is indicative of FLUTD. The diagnostic sheet says FLUTD - infection because your cat has both.

I'm urging you to read the articles myself and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner have posted because a UTI can cause FLUTD and without you taking preventative measures, he may have flare ups. It can go in to remission, but it takes active work from cat parents to keep it that way.

I kept Nobel in remission for 10 years. Initially, like you, I hoped it was a one off. But it happened again every 6 months for a few years for different reasons. Sometimes with an infection and sometimes blood without an infection. It's an expensive issue when it flares up.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be feline idiopathic cystitis. You didn’t cause anything by giving milk. Keep his stress level down, and yours.😺😹🙀easier said than done. Give meds as prescribed and see if he improves. I would only feed the canned Rx diet for now. Give plenty of access to bottled water. No tap water unless well filtered.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to stress out. It could simply be an infection. Watch him use the litter box

Preventing Blood in Cat Urine
Hematuria prevention is tailored to the underlying cause. Any cat with urinary tract issues, especially if they are frequent and recurring, can be helped with environmental and diet changes.
Low-Stress Environment
Cats with FIC need to be in a low-stress environment. Giving your cat a quiet room to stay in, their own food and water bowls, and their own litter box and toys are all helpful if they are experiencing anxiety. The rule of thumb should be one litter box per cat and an additional litter box in the household (for example: if you have three cats, you should have four litter boxes).
Encourage Play
High perches and plenty of stimulating toys can be helpful to reduce stress levels in the home. Keeping litter boxes and beds away from loud machines such as clothes dryers or dishwashers is also helpful, along with keeping the litter boxes and beds clean. Cats are neat animals and they can get stressed out by a dirty litter box.
Diet
It is important to ensure that your cat is eating a well-balanced cat food based on their life stage. Cats with urinary tract inflammation are often eased onto prescription diets that can help maintain a normal urine pH. These include:

Canned food is also preferred over dry kibble because of its higher moisture content.
Water Intake
Improving overall water intake is helpful in lessening hematuria or urinary tract signs. Adding several bowls of fresh water around the house, a water fountain, or even adding water to the food can increase water intake. The goal is proper hydration to lower the urine concentration. This makes for an environment that is less prone to crystal formation, stone formation, and even some bacteria.
Supplements
Urinary tract probiotic supplements can also be helpful when used in cats with frequent infections, stones, crystals, or idiopathic FIC. These include:

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If more tests are needed,it will cost much less at your regular vets. It was a good idea to take him to the emergency vets

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No need to stress out. It could simply be an infection. Watch him use the litter box

Preventing Blood in Cat Urine
Hematuria prevention is tailored to the underlying cause. Any cat with urinary tract issues, especially if they are frequent and recurring, can be helped with environmental and diet changes.
Low-Stress Environment
Cats with FIC need to be in a low-stress environment. Giving your cat a quiet room to stay in, their own food and water bowls, and their own litter box and toys are all helpful if they are experiencing anxiety. The rule of thumb should be one litter box per cat and an additional litter box in the household (for example: if you have three cats, you should have four litter boxes).
Encourage Play
High perches and plenty of stimulating toys can be helpful to reduce stress levels in the home. Keeping litter boxes and beds away from loud machines such as clothes dryers or dishwashers is also helpful, along with keeping the litter boxes and beds clean. Cats are neat animals and they can get stressed out by a dirty litter box.
Diet
It is important to ensure that your cat is eating a well-balanced cat food based on their life stage. Cats with urinary tract inflammation are often eased onto prescription diets that can help maintain a normal urine pH. These include:

Canned food is also preferred over dry kibble because of its higher moisture content.
Water Intake
Improving overall water intake is helpful in lessening hematuria or urinary tract signs. Adding several bowls of fresh water around the house, a water fountain, or even adding water to the food can increase water intake. The goal is proper hydration to lower the urine concentration. This makes for an environment that is less prone to crystal formation, stone formation, and even some bacteria.
Supplements
Urinary tract probiotic supplements can also be helpful when used in cats with frequent infections, stones, crystals, or idiopathic FIC. These include:
Sometimes I can’t help it I know I try to control it so he doesn’t pick up on it. Since it happened 2 weeks ago I have monitored his leavings. I know when it’s him that uses the litter box cause my other cat doesn’t cover his leavings. Also I actually asked both the emergency vet & my regular vet about adding supplements to help them. They told me there weren’t none. I knew there had to be one cause I already give them probiotics now.But I couldn’t find any good UTI ones.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use advita probiotic. Cost less than fortiflora and better ingredients. Also flavored.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understood that you meant you had anxiety and not the cat :)

I'm also not trying to push you to get more testing. I fully understand that sometimes we are not able to do further. When Nobel first had blood in the urine, the vet wanted me to do $2500 of testing that I didn't have. I did the basics.

Blood in the urine without crystals is indicative of FLUTD. The diagnostic sheet says FLUTD - infection because your cat has both.

I'm urging you to read the articles myself and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner have posted because a UTI can cause FLUTD and without you taking preventative measures, he may have flare ups. It can go in to remission, but it takes active work from cat parents to keep it that way.

I kept Nobel in remission for 10 years. Initially, like you, I hoped it was a one off. But it happened again every 6 months for a few years for different reasons. Sometimes with an infection and sometimes blood without an infection. It's an expensive issue when it flares up.
Trust me I have read those articles and every article I can find on Google about it too. I have taken measures to make sure he stays healthy. He gets plenty of exercise in playtime with me and my other furbabies. He isn’t free fed actually he never was free fed. The litter box gets scoop multiple times a day to stay clean. The litter box gets a deep cleaning and filled fresh litter every single week. I make sure he has access to clean water daily. If I run out of canned food I put a little water on his kibble so he gets more water. My regular vet said keeping him hydrated and flushed out is the key. The food is my only issue which I will have to work out. I’m barely getting by myself with how the economy is so sadly I have to be on a budget and figure out alternatives that won’t hurt him. I will be 35 next month I have owned cats all my life. My last cat made it to 16 without ever needing an emergency visit. This is the first time I have had to deal with a problem like this so I freaked out a bit.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be feline idiopathic cystitis. You didn’t cause anything by giving milk. Keep his stress level down, and yours.😺😹🙀easier said than done. Give meds as prescribed and see if he improves. I would only feed the canned Rx diet for now. Give plenty of access to bottled water. No tap water unless well filtered.
Where I live the tap water is filtered here otherwise they wouldn’t let us drink or use it. If something is ever wrong we are notified and put on boil water notices. That only happened a few times when there was a leak and they needed to check the water afterwards. Since I’m on a very tight budget I have to use what is available to me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cosequin, D-Mannose, or Corn Silk?
These products, D Mannose and cornsilk, are mentioned quite a bit on TCS. Feliway Cystease is another one, but I have no experience with it.

My 2 year old boy has has two episodes of being unable to pee, for no good reason. The last one was thoroughly researched and treated at a referral hospital and nothing was conclusive except that he is a flame point (they flat out called him a Siamese) and he might be stressed (he does like to be dominant). Some male cats are prone to these problems and you are not doing anything to cause it.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These products, D Mannose and cornsilk, are mentioned quite a bit on TCS. Feliway Cystease is another one, but I have no experience with it.

My 2 year old boy has has two episodes of being unable to pee, for no good reason. The last one was thoroughly researched and treated at a referral hospital and nothing was conclusive except that he is a flame point (they flat out called him a Siamese) and he might be stressed (he does like to be dominant). Some male cats are prone to these problems and you are not doing anything to cause it.
I’m not sure where to find any of that where I live

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

only thing I can find that comes close maybe is

UT Strength Feline Urinary Tract Supplement for Cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't advise on cornsilk, but pure D-Mannose - the one I buy - can be found on Amazon or directly from the manufacturer's web site. I give Feeby 1/4 tsp daily, mixed into her canned food.
Amazon.com: WellnessPartners UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Non GMO Organic Source Powder 65gram jar : Pet Supplies
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder | WellnessPartners.com™
Yeah I would need to find a cheaper option $23 is too much for me right now. I have a Petco here I plan on going soon for something for my pup. I will look to see if they have any D-Mannose stuff

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to the directions, and the fact that I give Feeby 1/2 of the dosage listed, this product would last 130 days (at 1/4 tsp). That would come out to about 18 cents a day. If you can swing the cost up front, it will last a long time - about 1/3 of a year.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to the directions, and the fact that I give Feeby 1/2 of the dosage listed, this product would last 130 days (at 1/4 tsp). That would come out to about 18 cents a day. If you can swing the cost up front, it will last a long time - about 1/3 of a year.
It may take awhile before I can afford it. Beginning of the month is the roughest time for me cause that is when all the bills come. Then there are groceries yeah adulting is fun.