Treating Feline Asthma

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My latest stray rescue came in with asthma, he's been with me for a year, has asthma bouts about a couple times a week since he's been here...I just found him having a very bad attack and is really struggling to breath, worst attack I've seen since he's been here....I care for over 20 strays on a limited budget SO a vet is out of the question.....In 8 years of strays, I have never dealt with feline asthma before....I live close to a store, can someone tell me something I could buy off the shelf for humans that could help with "Charley's" breathing.....He's a gray tabby about 3 1/2 years old.....

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure hope someone else who has more asthma experience replies as well... The primary/best thing that would help this cat are inhalers (maintenance and rescue). I tried to help my cat with oral steroids but it wasn't the best solution. There are a lot of things that could trigger an asthma attack and even more so if he's an outdoor cat. Is there any way you think that he could live indoors? That could help minimize some potential environmental triggers, allergens, etc. Physical activity (running, hunting, fighting, etc) could also send him into attacks, so it's good if that stuff can be minimized - especially if he's not doing inhaler. Again... I hope someone else here has more experience with asthma than I do. My experience was a bit more palliative in nature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE** Charley has gotten over his horrific attack and is now sleeping and barely whizzing....Like I said he come out of the woods a year ago, starving but very friendly...So my guess is he's been raised by someone till he was about 1 to 1 1/2 years old then got dumped AND maybe it was because this asthma problem and did'nt want to deal with it......After about a month, I got him fixed but I noticed early on he had asthma......I've seen a few things out here but my first in dealing with asthma.....And that terrible attack that he has went on for hours and sounded awful.....I'll try my best to keep that from happening again.....
From the research I've done, the best I can do for him is decongestants and antihistamines, to what dose, I'll have to learn as I go unless someone can help me on that part would be helpful......

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that Charley is doing better. If you have a vet that has worked with you in the past perhaps he or she would be willing to give some advice over the phone. You also might consider joining an online group of other cat owners who have cats with asthma. I found one on Facebook called "Cats with Asthma Support Group." There is also a group called the "Feline Asthma Message Board" and there may be others. I don't have any experience with these particular resources but have gotten some helpful information from a group for cats who are hyperthyroid. You might find some useful advice and certainly some support from more knowledgeable folks if you join one of these groups or, if allowed, just browse through their messages.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off I want to let everyone know that through my research on feline asthma, ONLY, 1 to 5% of cats have asthma.....well in my 10 years thats why I've never seen it before....AND I thought I've seen some sad sights before...I hope most of you never get to see a horrific attack like that, so sad..................
K kris , bringing Charley inside is out of the question...you did make me think about his activity, I'm thankful that he's really laid back, I just see him all the time laying around the yard.......I'm sure that comes from a past caregiver, maybe spent to much time growing up in someone's bedroom, I say that because he acts like he's never been out in the open before and just lays around taking it all in.....................
Avery Avery , you know that's a good thought and I will look into that, Feline Asthma support group of some kind, and at this point I could use their knowledge about what I'm looking at in the future in dealing with this.......................

**UPDATE** Charley showed up for breakfast this morning, a little late but he made it....I did'nt hear any breathing issues, he looked pretty much normal, maybe just a little run-down looking....Don't blame him for being run-down after what he's been through.....

**UPDATE** The antihistamines is no-good, I tried very little into his favorite wet, put 2 different taste-masking on it (which normally work great) and he turned he nose up and went to another bowl and chowed down, so now I know, I learning everyday..........
I've also got decongestant nasal spray that I would certainly try if I saw another vicious attack like I saw that went on for hours, how sad is that?

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, after checking with some of the Asthma support groups out there, looks like "Breath Easy Respirstory Support" is within my budget, about $42. a bottle......many owners dealing with Feline Asthma reported good results with this product....
continuing my research on this matter, someone said that L-lysine would be helpful in treating Asthma...Never thought of it but L-lysine is how I would treat FHV-infected cats(have not had one of those in a while) and FHV is upper-respiratory, SO, for now, until I get that Breath Easy, I'll begin daily treatments of L-lysine, can only help, it worked well on keeping FHV in check when I was dealing with it several years ago.....

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE** "Charley" has had a week of "Breath Easy Respirstory Support" added to his wet breakfast and I'm suppose to put a like amount into his supper by the directions, but that's not possible in my case AND Knock on wood, he has not had a asthma attack in a week now....but I can't be sure on that one, he's one of 8 here at the house and I'm unable to watch him thru the day.....BUT, I can tell you this, Charley SEEMS to be eating a little more, sleeping a little more AND I saw him do a half speed run for a short distance yesterday(I've never seen him do anything but walk everywhere the whole time he's been here).......
These support pills APPEART to be helping his condition and I will now keep these pills always as a part of my arsenal against Asthma and future FHV-1 cases that I see, ALTHOUGH the L-lysine up to now has done a fine job before on keeping FHV-1 outbreaks down to a minimum......