Treating a Rescued Kitten with Multiple Health Issues

n7000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TLDR at the end.

We adopted a cat 40 days ago (she is now 5 and a half months old, and at the time of adoption she was 4 months old). We immediately noticed that the kitten was too small for her age (4 months), but we thought at first that it was because she barely survived the winter (in Europe) and that she had nothing to eat. However, since she came to us, she has had diarrhea. Then she had a bit of a cold, so we thought it was some related thing and that it would pass soon.

However, since the diarrhea did not pass, we performed an analysis of the feces. The analysis revealed the following parasites and bacteria:

- Giardia duodenalis Ag (ELISA) - prescribed drug Panacur (in the form of granules, 0.5g x 1 daily; 3 days).

- Hemolytic Escherichia coli (Coproculture small Ab) - prescribed drug Synulox (1/4 tablet x 2 a day; 10 days).

- And thirdly, what we are most afraid of, at the end of the analysis there is a note: Microscopic examination of the feces using the sesmentation method, the presence of Angiostrongylus vasorum larvae was OBSERVED - for this, a Prazimec C tablet was given, and Fembandazole is contained in the drug Panacur. Later, we were instructed by the veterinarian to give Advocate cats ampoule.

I googled that parasite, and it turned out to be a lungworm. We are scared because we lost one cat due to this disease (it is not certain and confirmed, we only suspect).

15 days ago, the cat also received her first vaccine and a revaccination is planned. The veterinarian recommended the following: treatment of giardia for 3 days with a prescribed medicine and treatment of bacteria with a prescribed antibiotic for the next 10 days. After that, we wait 7 days to do the revaccination, and after a few days we send the excrement for analysis again.

I would like to consult with professional people, is this plan okay and should we treat and control the lungworm better? In my opinion, there is a high probability that she came to us with this disease (40 days ago), which is enough time for the parasite infection to develop. within these 40 days she was 99% indoor cat (she went outside for a short while under our supervision), and there is no chance that she got infected within these 40 days. That leaves the possibility that the infection could potentially last for months (or am I wrong?).

Are there any suggestions we should know to help the cat? As I already said, we potentially lost one cat due to this disease and I want to do everything in my power to help and save this cat.

TL;DR: Adopted a 5.5-month-old kitten with health issues. Despite initial thoughts of malnutrition, persistent diarrhea led to discovering parasites and bacteria: Giardia, hemolytic E. coli, and lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum). Treated with Panacur, Synulox, Prazimec C, and Advocate for cats. Concerned about lungworm due to past loss of a cat to this disease. Seeking advice on the vet’s plan: 3-day giardia treatment, 10-day antibiotic course, revaccination after a week, and follow-up feces analysis. Questioning if the infection was pre-existing due to the cat being mostly indoors since adoption. Looking for suggestions to ensure the cat’s health and prevent another loss.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two of my now former ferals were trapped for TNR at 4 months old but were not put back outside because they were found to have lungworm. It was treated successfully and then immediately they had herpes which was also treated. Even though the male was very aggressive, the decision was made to try to socialize them since they had been "with humans" so long. Long story short, they are now 11 years old lap cats who have been healthy ever since their initial illnesses. I will check with our rescue to find out the treatment used for the lungworm as I only had them during their herpes bout.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

n7000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two of my now former ferals were trapped for TNR at 4 months old but were not put back outside because they were found to have lungworm. It was treated successfully and then immediately they had herpes which was also treated. Even though the male was very aggressive, the decision was made to try to socialize them since they had been "with humans" so long. Long story short, they are now 11 years old lap cats who have been healthy ever since their initial illnesses. I will check with our rescue to find out the treatment used for the lungworm as I only had them during their herpes bout.
Thank you so much. If you can check it and post it here I would appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

n7000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Panacur is first line treatment for lungworms. Couple take up to 2 months to clear the infection.
So Panacur pretty much can clean the cat from both giardia and lungworm? Nice to know that. We will do another analysis soon.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They were treated long term 2-3 weeks with an antibiotic. She couldn't remember which Doxy or Clavamox