Treat feeding issue

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so my 10 week old kitten is a little ball of energy and I try to feed her some treats as I pet her because I want her to associate petting with positive reinforcement.

Whenever I offer her a treat, she would puff up and advance towards my hand in a menacing manner like approaching a prey. And then instead of taking it out of my hands with her mouth, she would use claws to bat at it.

I tried to avoid giving her the treat whenever she does this, but then it would mean she wouldn't get any at all because she does this every single time. Which means also no petting (positive reinforcement). Any tips on the best method to give cat treats? I don't want to put it on the floor because she would bat it like a toy and it would most likely end up under the deep depths of the bed or cupboard.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Petting is already a positive action for a lot of cats; there isn't a need to give treats while petting. It sounds like you have a excess energy issue. The easiest thing is to get another kitten and they will play each other other. Otherwise, a treat ball or just regular toys will work. I've found with kittens that young once the energy is out they just want to snuggle up and sleep then you get in your petting time. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm ok. But just giving treats alone is impossible.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like normal kitten behavior!  I understand you want her to have positive reinforcement, but like Kieka said, the petting IS the positive reinforcement in itself.  As far as treats, I went through this with one of mine, because he just wasn't comfortable taking something from my hand.  I had to start out putting the treat on the floor in front of him, and over time, got him to take it gently from my hand.  A 10 week old kitten is very akin to a toddler--they see what they want, all they know is that they want it--and want it now.  Be patient, and give your baby lots of playtime, maybe with a wand toy, or another interactive toy if you don't want to get another kitten.  Kittens play a LOT, so be prepared to spend a lot of time off and on going through the cycle of wake, play, eat, calm down time, sleep.  This is their cycle, with VERY high bursts of energy.  A ten week old simply is being a "child"...but they learn quickly.  Momcats often bring their kittens prey and present to them...maybe she thinks you are doing the same! 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with hbunny. 

Right now your job is to be the Momma cat and teach you kitty good behavior. The hardest part is the claws though. While you might want to feed from the hand your kitten is just too young to understand. Usually they have siblings still at that age who teach them when they are being too rough and a Mom willing to nip them if they are too hyper.

What I have found works best is to mimic cat behavior. Yell loudly when clawed and turn physically away. Stop all play, treats, whatever and count to 10 slowly. Then go back like nothing happened. Repeat multiple times. Eventually your kitten will learn that if she isn't careful with the claws she looses her play buddy/treat buddy. You have to be very dramatic about it even with the tiniest claw. If you do that by the time she is 6 months old you will have an incredibly gentle little cat. All my cats are great about no claws when playing with humans and will pat without claws to get attention. Now accidents do happen but I do the same even now and they react accordingly to bring in their claws. 

The hyper is harder as a human because we are just too big to momma cat them and bat them down when they are hyperactive. So humans just need to tire them out. Luckily kittens usually collapse before their humans but wand toys are wonderful for this purpose. I am not a fan of frequent laser usage even though they are also good for running out some energy because the cats never get anything at the end. I imagine it would get frustrating to constantly chase and never actually catch.

For treating, my cats all chase treats across the floor and play with them (my little girl will even purposefully not eat them to get me to toss her more). But I've always turned treats into toys to encourage and support hunting instinct. While some get batted under things you would be amazed at the cats ability to remember and get them later on.  My cats look at me funny if I try to feed them out of hand. Treats should be just that, treats. So you should only be giving a few every other day anyways. 

With mine I just pet them saying their names and said their names at every meal time multiple times. Eventually they all associated their names with food and petting so they come when I call most of the time. I keep their treats in a small rubbermaid container that I would shake lightly before any treat; so now when they aren't responding to the name I shake the treat jar and they come running to that. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks hbunny and Kieka- I get the picture much clearer now. Will try both your tips and make my baby happy as can be.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck

I personally get a kick out of just watching them learn and grow, they learn so quickly!  The puffing up--it's so hilarious, they do it just instinctually, but then they learn to control it and you won't see it again.  Enjoy the kitten antics while they last!!