Treasures from American Film Archives: Vol. 3

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To some this would be a chore, but to me watching this 4 disk series has been a joy. 12 hours of social issues films from early 20th century. Watching this from a historical point of view it's amazing that these films even survived. Some of them were given to the Library of Congress on a huge roll of paper stock and were left to rot in the archives. Once digital transfer technology came around films like this were able to be saved and almost fully restored. Let me tell you that's been a God send. We are now able to see them in their full glory.

I'll point out some of my absolute favorites for you.

1. A cartoon from the Ford company developed in 1919 to stem union sentiment within the company. Early animation is amazing. Watching a rat come out and make the point that union organizers were Communists was even better.

2. Anti-suffrage movement shorts that made women look like hags. It's amazing to me that women got the right to vote after watching these short films. Most Americans at that time had very little access to news, and with it being saturated with these shorts it shows how personal the struggle became.

If you have a history buff in your home this may be a good gift for the holidays. Trust me, it doesn't disappoint.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! This sounds really interesting. Let me ask, you mention volume 3 - are there two earlier sets of dvds? I like to watch things in order - or read books in the order they were written (if it involves the same characters). Thanks for the information!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Wow! This sounds really interesting. Let me ask, you mention volume 3 - are there two earlier sets of dvds? I like to watch things in order - or read books in the order they were written (if it involves the same characters). Thanks for the information!
From what I've been able to find the other two are out there, and they are going all the way back to 1894. I'm going to have to check out the first two, but trust me on this the one that I've watched is really good. Pick it up if you can.