Travelling with our cat, and crossing the border.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong spot - please move if needed:

We're thinking of travelling with our cat in a months time and we have concerns and questions:

1. What do we need (paper work referring to our cat) when crossing the US border? (we're coming from BC Canada, and visiting Washington for a week)
2. What kind of calming solutions do you recommend? Collar, treats, sprays?
3. Are there regulations when bringing cat food across the border?

She's a very easy going cat, doesn't mind change at all. She does great in the car. She's vocal for a few minutes then settles down.

We're thinking of bringing her because she gets very lonely when we have someone cat sit, as they only come twice a day to feed, then leave. We can't bring her to a cat kennel/boarding place as she hates other cats! We're thinking the best option is to bring her with. We would bring her litter box, toys, and her food.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Nora,

When we moved house with our cat, an 8 hour drive across Japan, our vet gave us some travel sickness pills for her. They made her really sleepy so she slept for most of the trip.

Will your cat walk on a harness? My parents regularly take their cat on caravan holidays. They leave the harness on her while she is in the car and let her out for walks and toilet breaks. My cats are all too wild and crazy for that though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Nora,

When we moved house with our cat, an 8 hour drive across Japan, our vet gave us some travel sickness pills for her. They made her really sleepy so she slept for most of the trip.

Will your cat walk on a harness? My parents regularly take their cat on caravan holidays. They leave the harness on her while she is in the car and let her out for walks and toilet breaks. My cats are all too wild and crazy for that though.
I was thinking of asking her vet as well to see what options were out there.

Nora loves walking on her harness! We'll definitely be bringing that along. We have a ferry ride (1 and a half hours), then a 2 hour drive to where we're visiting, so not super long, but definitely will need a stop to take her out to stretch her legs. :)

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was thinking about your 1 and 3 questions.  Part of 1 I thought was actually going to fall under Washington state regulation and not a national one for the US, but you also have to keep in mind reentering Canada regulation as well.  Basically ID and health info is what you need here it looks like, best to have a valid rabies vax.  As for 3 I think you are fine as long as it's in original containers and not raw.  Although I think even a freeze-dried raw would be okay, just not actually still raw meat like frozen or refrigerated raw.  Not homemade!  I wouldn't try to bring that.

This page seems to give a good summary:  http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/travelling-with-pets/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. I've read this site, but I was also finding conflicting info elsewhere, so thought I would ask the TCS world! :)