Travelling With Cats For Holidays Or Moving

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello just wanting some ideas and tips for my desexed male cat with travelling?
if we go on a holiday/ moving what things do i need to bring? what do i do with the litter box on long drives? how long between stops? and what kind of things do i need to be thinking about to prepare him for a long drive in a car?

how do i know if he is stressed by driving or being in the carrier ? what can i do to help with stress levels?

my cat will miaow a little in car when going to vet. he loves food and have no problems with the carrier, i leave it out all the time and have found him sleeping in it from time to time. i havent been in the car for long periods of time with him other than when we brought him home and that was 45 mins drive over 2 years ago. the vet is less than 10 minutes away. and has yearly check ups. other than that we dont take him out in the car . only other time he in his carrier is when we have inspections every 3 months we put him in his carrier for a few hours ( after he has eated and used litter box)and sit with him in the garage with him( as he has to be restraineed as stated in our lease argreement and the window of when they can show up is 2 hours, their doing not mine, i also dont trust real estates will make sure he doesnt get out and leave doors open as he is indoor only, they dont care if he gets lost but i do. ) we are allowed to have him where he rent. he miaows a little when in carrier and will bite at the carrier and try and get out when we have inspections but we try and distract him with food or a toy and he fine for awhile.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
For the car ride, a large, soft carrier might do the trick, something similar to sturdiproducts used for cat shows. You can even spray the carrier with Feliway before heading off. You can put his favorite bed and toys inside, as well as a small litterbox. At rest stops, you can give him food and water and play with him inside the car, or take him for a walk if he’s leash trained.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, in addition to abyeb's insights (including calming products), maybe there's something in these articles, even in the last one, that might help as well ;)

Traveling With Cats
36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

If he starts to yowl, bites at the carrier, or even freezes up with really big eyes like my Big Guy does, for calming products there is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, there are collars, diffusers, wipes, treats...
Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is another to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?