Traveling with cats

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Might you take the time to tell me what it is like to travel to and from shows with cats? Tell me how you prepare the cats for travel, how you house them, feed them and provide litter opportunities. How do you care for them at the shows?

We'll be traveling across the country by car with an average size Maine Coon, and any tips and tricks regarding traveling with him would help me plan and prepare.

I want to get this right the first time. I'm guessing cat show folks would have the experience to help me prevent making any mistakes. Mistakes that might cause grief or harm to the cat or my passengers. I want things to go smoothly, safely and with as little stress to all involved as possible.

Thanks for reading and for any insightful replies you might offer.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are started as kittens for car riding. Short drives are the key if your cat is not used to it.

We usually just put them in the carrier and put a towel over the top and put on the back seat. I have a litter pan on the seat and when we stop for lunch/supper (more then 1/2 hour) the cats are allowed to roam in the car for the time we are eating.

I'll set up the litter pan on the back seat, put a bowl of food and water on the floor in the front seat. Jack is a food-a-holic and as soon as he's eating, I tell him to stay and then get out and lock the doors.

Hubby gets out first, then me. If you want to be sure they don't jump out - feed in the back window where you know you have time to get out of the car.

When we come out, I usually get Jack's attention to come to the back seat while hubby gets in the car and holds the cat till I get in. Then we put him back in the carrier and clean up the litter pan.

We travel anywhere from 2 to 6 or 7 hours for a show.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take 3 carriers for 4 cats.
Polar ges the big carrier with a litter pan and food.
Wrinkles and Cleo go togther and have food with them.
Coco gets sick on every trip.
She only goes when we stay in hotels because she has many meds.
Most our shows are over 2 hours from here.
Our lat show was 6.5 hours from here.
Make sure you have food with them and give them water when you stop.
Also be very careful when you open the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Do they make a nylon tent like thing that would take up most of the back seat? What do you keep them in when you are at the show?

Is the big carrier you mention a cage for a dog?

Do you put a harness on them and leash them when the door is open to their containers?

I would hate for the poor cat to run away when a container door gets open. That is my biggest fear.

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you travel with a regular litter box, with regular litter?

Man! I would be really scared that he might get loose. He can move real fast if he wants to and he is a big and strong cat too. I don't think I could stop him if he wanted to get past me and out the door. Cat lost and gone from a rest area on some freeway in another state. I shudder at the thought.

Have you seen a tent like container used at cat shows?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes in fact I used a tent at the last show in Arcadia but Cleo shredded it and got out when I was at a ring.
They work well for Persians but not hyper sphynx.
Get him a hraness just in case he gets out.
What state are you moving to?
I bring a small pan and some litter.

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moving to Michigan believe it or not.

He's good with the harness, that's not a problem.

I got off the sturdi-shelter web site. I LIKEY the 3 part one. It could go all across the back seat. Litter box in one end and food and water in the other end. Too many $$, I'm afraid.

I wonder if anyone here would have a ratty, dirty old one that still works but just doesn't look good anymore they would allow to be re-homed?

I got this cat the absolutely biggest litter box I could find, and he still manages to pitch a turd over the side now and again. So, I think he's gonna have to travel with his home box.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Yes in fact I used a tent at the last show in Arcadia but Cleo shredded it and got out when I was at a ring.
They work well for Persians but not hyper sphynx.
Get him a hraness just in case he gets out.
What state are you moving to?
I bring a small pan and some litter.
Cleo shredded a sturdi-cage? How!?! I must have missed that story!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never posted it here.
It was not a sturdi.
It was the tent the Persian breeders sell.
The lady across from me caught her.
She destroyed the mess part so I stuck her in the single sturdi with Polar and left Wrinkles in the tent.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tent for shows, but its never used in the car - the cats ride in the carriers. Some show people use an extra tent in the hotel rooms for their stud boys to keep them from spraying.

And try to park in the shade if possible and put down all four windows about an inch or two at the most. If we can't find shade, we go to a fast food place to eat so its not too hot in the car.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a large, soft-sided dog crate for the back seat. It is fully enclosed and strong enough for my cat's claws. The sides are mesh windows so they can see out and it is big enough for litter, water and food plus a cat bed.