Traveling with cat

eve12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! So i'm a student at a university and  I recently adopted my 6 month old baby Oliver. He's very laid back and loving. Anyways, I am going to have to travel home for Thanksgiving and Christmas break and I am worried about what to do because no one will be able to watch him while I'm on break and I honestly don't want to leave him alone for weeks at a time :(. So my only option is to travel with him in the car. Any tips for this? He loves his little cage, but he's not a fan of car rides. And how traumatic will it be for him to stay at my parents for a few weeks at a time? They have a female cat who is very friendly as well, but I am still nervous about all of this.

Thanks!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Since your kitty is already acclimated to his little cage than that is a great start. I would begin to take my cat on short car trips while he is in his carrier. Begin with a few minute drive up and down the street and then back home. End with lots of pets and snuggle AND treats too. You can even start your cat on Composure for cats now. . Very safe and some say this is very helpful for a stressed out kitty. You can check with your vet to verify and/or ask for something a bit stronger for the car trip.

Here are some articles as well with more helpful tips.

[article="30165"][/article]

[article="29652"][/article]

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never traveled far with my cats (1 1/2 hours max) but I was thinking of doing a big move soon and have done some research on it.

First of all, do keep your cat in a carrier. He'll feel safer enclosed in there. If you want, you can also get a dog crate so that kitty will have a little more room. Line the carrier or cage with puppy pads in case he has an accident. Keep the carrier covered in a blanket to help him stay calm. Don't bother to put food or water in the cage as he will be too nervous to eat anyways. However, you can make a rest stop and offer some food, water, or a litter box. Make sure the door of the vehicle is closed so that kitty can't run away and get lost.

Maybe get him chipped just in case.

If you'll be staying at a motel overnight, make sure they allow cats. When he settles into the room, he'll probably eat and drink then. Make sure the staff knows to knock to be let in so that they don't accidentally let kitty out.

I use rescue remedy and Feliway to help my cats calm down during car rides or vet visits.

Make sure you don't leave kitty alone in the car for a long time.

How long is your drive? Is it possible for you to hire a pet sitter to come once a day to feed and check on kitty?

As for your family's cat, sometimes it takes cats a long time to be introduced and learn to get along. Personally, I would just isolate them, since they won't need to live together anyways. You can let them meet and gauge it from there though. Good luck. Hope this was helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eve12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My trip will only be about 3 hours. Thank you for all the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eve12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much, this is all very helpful!