traveling w cats!

jennatalie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! I am traveling with my 2 cats for the first time in my car. It will be about 1400 miles with 1 stop overnight. I am worried about how I am going to get them to go to the bathroom at rest stops in thier litter box with out them running away? ant suggestions??? I am getting travel carriers for them.
Please help with suggestions

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennatalie

hi! I am traveling with my 2 cats for the first time in my car. It will be about 1400 miles with 1 stop overnight. I am worried about how I am going to get them to go to the bathroom at rest stops in thier litter box with out them running away? ant suggestions??? I am getting travel carriers for them.
Please help with suggestions
I travelled from Dallas to Mexico City with my cats (about 1500 miles) a few years ago. We took our SUV and had a sandbox in the back of the SUV with blankets and our cargo was all in the rear seat. So the cats had the whole back end to themselves and it worked out fine. I never allow my cats to be in the "outside" world so have no fear of them running off. If you are truly fearful of them running off (I think unlikely), put them on a leash when you make your rest stops. Most rest stops have "dog stops" (fake fire hydrants), but let your cats sniff around while on a leash, if they have to go, they will. Good Luck, and come back to TCS often!

bunchie62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did the same thing when we moved from NC to Florida. We rented a mini-van and brought a litter box. Even though they were milldly sedated, they hated the carriers. We let them out occasionally to roam with a leash and they were absolutely entranced by the cars and trucks going by. You would have thought they were dogs.