Traveling--Cat Carrier Question

hannrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will be traveling with my cat for the first time this weekend. It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive to our destination, and I was curious about her carrier… I've completed some research, and some say to place cats in a small carrier, that they like to feel very secure while traveling, but others have suggested larger carriers that cats can stand, stretch, and turn around in. Which is recommended? I don't plan to take her out during the trip, as I'll be going straight on without any stops (and she's a nightmare to place in the carrier in the first place), and the only carrier I have at the moment is a size small, one specifically for cats and puppies. She is able to lie down in it, of course, but fully stretching out and turning around requires some effort. Should I invest in a carrier of a larger size, maybe a step up in size? Or should I stick with the small carrier?

Thanks!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats need to be able to stand and turn around in a carrier, I wouldn't be using one any smaller than that.

The other option is a larger wire dog crate that you can put a litter tray, food and water in. But for 5 hours that's not really necessary. 

unicacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to get the cat use to the carrier then the car then carrier in the car. I use to travel 8 hours with my cats on a larger carrier. I did do stops, and feed them and let them use the bathroom.

I Have two carriers, and they were both good

http://www.sherpapet.com/ = i have the deluxe original in black, i like the sheep bedding and they have mesh so the cat can see .

http://sleepypod.com/sleepypod = i have the round one and its so chic.

i hope this helps/

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with MissyMotus about the size, top opening carriers are easier to get cats into and out of.

Put the carrier on something waterproof, just in case, and some cats travel better with it covered.