traveling by plane with sturdibag

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anybody travel by plane with the sturdibag? Mine just came in the mail today. (I already had the sturditote, but wanted something more appropriate for a long travel). I already made plane reservations for mother and I through American Airlines. This is my first time flying with a cat (I haven't even flown myself since I was three) and had questions about whether anybody had problems with the carrier not meeting requirements. I looked online and its says the dimensions are 19 long, 13 wide, 9 tall (the sturdi is 18 long, 12 wide, and 12 tall), but it makes allowances for height for sherpa type carriers that are collapsible (or something like that). The lady I spoke to with the airline wasn't sure if the sturdi would count. I called the sturdi company and they said it is supposed to be good for all airlines and that if they give me a problem I just need to be extra insistent and make sure they know it is collapsible. The box also says it will conform to any under seat height.

I took the carrier out of the the box, but have not opened the components (fleece, foam pad, etc) inside the sealed plastic bag. I still have the receipt and box it was shipped in.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be no problems with using it to fly the cats. At the airport you will be required to take the cat out of the carrier and hold it while the bag is scanned thru.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

There should be no problems with using it to fly the cats. At the airport you will be required to take the cat out of the carrier and hold it while the bag is scanned thru.
thanks. I just bought a retractable lead for Mojito (along with some other stuff for the cats) from foster and smith. The box from them arrived today as well (the cats loved having the empty boxes!). He already has a harness to go with it. From the first time I put him on harness and leash he walks like a natural - for a cat that is. He won't go where I steer him like I dog will, but if I let him lead the way, it's like he doesn't know he has one on. He's been to Petsmart two times with it already. My other cats prefer to play dead.

zirpkatze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm not familiar with the product you're refering to but as long as it'll fit under the seat there should be no problem. you've told the airline that you'll be taking a cat into the cabin?
just a side note, if anyone associated with the airline (not security) tells you that you can't bring the cat onboard in the carrier or at all ask to speak to the pilot in command. he'll have final authority

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

i think you can ask for the carrier to be screened in a private room. i'd be too worried about the cat getting away even with a leash

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zirpkatze

i'm not familiar with the product you're refering to but as long as it'll fit under the seat there should be no problem. you've told the airline that you'll be taking a cat into the cabin?
just a side note, if anyone associated with the airline (not security) tells you that you can't bring the cat onboard in the carrier or at all ask to speak to the pilot in command. he'll have final authority

i think you can ask for the carrier to be screened in a private room. i'd be too worried about the cat getting away even with a leash
thanks. He has his in-cabin reservation ready.

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as your bag is collapsible and does not look overly large, it will be fine. I have one of the Sherpa bags, and they've never given me any hassle. But to be honest, I think its a little large because I always sort of have to wedge it in under the seat to get it to fit.

I've flown with my cat about 8 times now within the past two years College student. Flown American, Continental, and United Airlines.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by baelfire

As long as your bag is collapsible and does not look overly large, it will be fine. I have one of the Sherpa bags, and they've never given me any hassle. But to be honest, I think its a little large because I always sort of have to wedge it in under the seat to get it to fit.

I've flown with my cat about 8 times now within the past two years College student. Flown American, Continental, and United Airlines.
thanks. It is this bag right here on this page: http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/x...8f263cdc22b35c.

I hope it gives a good picture of the size.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish there was a way for a single person (me) to fly with two cats in the cabin.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the stirdi bags but have not flown with my cats yet.
Be careful with the rods when you put it togther.
There is so much constrution at the airport right now.
It is a mess.
Maybe it will be finished before the TICA Annual.