travel

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to be driving to Austin on Sunday and it is about a 6 hour drive. I am taking my cats with me because I will be there for about a week. Is there anything special I should do or bring for them?

I am going to buy carriers today for each of them.

I am kinda of worried about my boy cat, he is scared of almost everything. It took him almost a month and half to stop hiding from me, but he still hides when people come over. I am worried this could be traumatic for him, but I don't want to leave him at my apartment all alone for that long.

Any suggestions?

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
put something that smells of you in his carrier. spray the car with feliway or honeysuckle and cover the top and two sides of the carrier with a blanket or towel and dont feed him much in the morning if he is prone to motion sickness. stop every few hours and talk to him and touch him

have food and water but mine didn't eat or drink in the car. she didn't use the litter box either but i had one with me. He will forgive you

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TexbabyJ

I am going to be driving to Austin on Sunday and it is about a 6 hour drive. I am taking my cats with me because I will be there for about a week. Is there anything special I should do or bring for them?

I am going to buy carriers today for each of them.

I am kinda of worried about my boy cat, he is scared of almost everything. It took him almost a month and half to stop hiding from me, but he still hides when people come over. I am worried this could be traumatic for him, but I don't want to leave him at my apartment all alone for that long.

Any suggestions?
We are driving from Plano, TX to Mexico City, which will take about 20 hours, two long days. We have an SUV that has a large cargo area which will be devoted entirely to Persi; his litter box, his food and water, and lots of toys and catnip and such. And lots of blankets that he is used to being on. In fact, while one of is driving, the other can be back in the cargo area with Persi to lie down with him. I mention this only because there are so many people with SUVs that I thought you may have one in which case it makes travel with a single cat quite easy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately i don't. I have a little four door car, but I got them fairly large carriers since they are only about 7 or 8 months old

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We

unfortunately i don't. I have a little four door car, but I got them fairly large carriers since they are only about 7 or 8 months old
my babe drove in a sedan for five days- the car was packed full and she was fine. getting in and out of the car felt like a three dimensional puzzle, and she slept most of the day.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you will still be OK, you can hold your boy assuming he likes to be held if he gets nervous. One thing that I have never heard of and perhaps somebody can tell us both is if, like dogs, you can stop by the side of the road and they will do their duty. Not having a litter box would certainly be easier in a smaller car but I do not know if this can be done. Anybody out there ever done this? Your cats are the same age as mine and Persi can go six hours without using the box however. If you leave them in the carriers, don't feed them or give them water several hours before you leave. This is not particularly mean, vets require you to do this on any procedure before you bring them in.

msmcgill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently drove 1000 miles over 2 days with my two cats (age 3 and 4). They were REALLY nervous and obnoxious in the car...just would not shut up. I got them this calming aid called Richard's Organics and it worked wonders. They were quiet without being drugged and slept or sat quietly most of the way. And they were back to normal immediately. Other than that i would recommend a cat box that you can cover with a lid...that was really helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I recently drove 1000 miles over 2 days with my two cats (age 3 and 4). They were REALLY nervous and obnoxious in the car...just would not shut up. I got them this calming aid called Richard's Organics and it worked wonders. They were quiet without being drugged and slept or sat quietly most of the way. And they were back to normal immediately. Other than that i would recommend a cat box that you can cover with a lid...that was really helpful.
Thank you sharing your experience. Please note that this thread is 7 years old and it's not likely that anyone is still following it.

We'd be happy to have you introduce yourself and your cats in the New Cats on the Block forum.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you sharing your experience. Please note that this thread is 7 years old and it's not likely that anyone is still following it.

We'd be happy to have you introduce yourself and your cats in the New Cats on the Block forum.
I was thinking the same thing, & ah, I don't know about honeysuckle.  Never heard of that. I think that would be way to strong & not really anything to do w/ aromatherapy. If anything it would be lavender, & very little.  Yes, always Feliway!!