Travel Tips for a Long Flight - Help Please!

bigcitykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am about to move my lovely male cat Kramer from Brooklyn, NY to California. We'll be embarking on this 6-hour flight on Sunday. I have never taken him or any other pet on a flight before, and am really nervous about 1.) traumatizing Kramer and 2.) pissing everyone off on what is sure to be a VERY crowded pre-holiday flight. I am not confident that he will have good behavior during our trip.

For some background, when I rescued him a couple years ago, he was pretty much totally feral. He's chilled out a lot since we've been together and was nice to hang out with. Unfortunately, he escaped a few weeks ago out of a window my roommate carelessly left open, and being on the streets again seem to have brought up some feral flashbacks. He's regressed to the more aggressive, macho man cat he used to be. Because of this, I'm worried he will be howling, growling, or otherwise disturbing other passengers during our flight.

To sum it up, I'm looking for some tips on how to keep my cat calm and quiet during our flight. I am not super pumped about using sedatives/tranquilizers because there seems to be some risks involved with altitude. Help please! I have no idea what I'm doing :(

catzandcatnip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I took my kitties on a long trip in June. They meowed on the car ride, but once in the plane, they were completely quiet, besides landing and take off. I think they didn't like the movement, when they didn't move themselves, if you know what I'm saying. I don't know about feralness, but I'd just pet him through the door and keep by him so he can smell you and he probably will be fine.

Hope this helps you out!

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please do not use tranquilizers or sedatives on your kitty.  He will be fine once he's on the plane.

I do have one suggestion for you.  You will need to remove him from his carrier to go through security so I would suggest that you get a harness and leash for him so you can control him a little easier and he won't be able to run if he jumps out of your arms.

Good luck with your flight.