Traumatized

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pleasant day, fellow cat owners. I need help regarding one of my kittens. He's traumatized due to force-feeding of my mom that happened while asleep. I'm worried about him, I don't know what to do as after I woke up I can no longer touch him or go anywhere near him; Doing so results him into running away. His pupils are dilated and he's shaking. He's in pain. He's also mourning for the recent death of his sister who died few days ago. What's worse is that he doesn't want to get involved with other cats as well and just last night he has been sleeping with my other cats peacefully. I need some help relieving him of this trauma/stress/anxiety; I do not want him to remain like this any longer and I don't want this to be the reason of his death.

Additional Q:
1. Can a traumatized kitten/cat die due to it?
2. Do traumatized kitten still eat? (Assuming I just leave the food and go somewhere he doesn't know.)
3. How long does it usually take for cats/kittens to heal?

Thank you. I hope someone helps me as I do not know what to do. I immediately looked up for a site that is dedicated to a cat and I've stumbled upon scam 24/7 vet online. But I'm thankful that this website appeared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if there's an edit function in this forum but I'll just add it here. I have other cats who communicate with each other 1 male cat, 2 female cats including his mother, and 2 of his brother & sister kitten. He usually feeds from his mother's milk if his mother is there (They are stray cats and his mother often goes out). They have their own food though, I feed them either aozi cat (cat food) or fish + squash for their healthy wet food.

I had to add this, I don't know if it will be helpful to my question but it can't hurt to add some more info. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my!

How old is the kitten?

Can you explain the force feeding situation in more detail? In what way was he force fed? What food was he force fed? Why was he force fed?

Can you keep his mom and siblings inside for a few days to comfort him and to allow him to nurse his mom? If so, it may help to calm the poor baby.

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my!

How old is the kitten?

Can you explain the force feeding situation in more detail? In what way was he force fed? What food was he force fed? Why was he force fed?

Can you keep his mom and siblings inside for a few days to comfort him and to allow him to nurse his mom? If so, it may help to calm the poor baby.
Sorry, I should've explained it more in detail. To answer your question:

1. I'm not sure what way he was force fed but my mom's hands are heavy so it must've caused the trauma. My mom said it was just a mixture of sugar then I tried smelling the glass and it smells like vinegar but she denied that it's turmeric powder + water + sugar mixture. Because last time I asked assistance from her to feed the kitten who just passed recently. I've told her a lot of times to just use tiny drops as the kitten has to swallow it first. So judging from this scenario I think my kitten got traumatized from the force-feeding of the mixture.

2. After I woke up, My mom said the kitten is sick and that she gave him a mixture (To get him lively again, I assume) but I had a bad feeling so I went down and I saw my kitten's pupils dilated and he's shaking. I couldn't touch him since then.

The kittens and the other cats are out there with him. It's not necessarily out the house. We have two house and they are outside the other house (middle of the two house) they have big space for themselves and they can also roam around the garden. Does it have a different effect if I try to put the kittens and the mother cat inside the house?

I am sorry I know it's somehow my fault as well. I should've woke up earlier before this could've happened.

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to input how old the kitten was. He's around 3 months by now, most probably turning 4 months.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get him seen by a vet? The mixture your mother force fed him could potentially be toxic. Do you know how much he ingested? He may need medical help.

I imagine he is traumatized by not only being force fed, but by the horrible taste of the concoction and whatever effect it had on his tiny system. Kittens this age only need mother’s milk or kitten formula, and wet and dry cat food.

It will take time for him to get over this. I hope the little fellow will be okay.

Do you plan to spay and neuter your cats?

U Ursula019080

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get him seen by a vet? The mixture your mother force fed him could potentially be toxic. Do you know how much he ingested? He may need medical help.

I imagine he is traumatized by not only being force fed, but by the horrible taste of the concoction and whatever effect it had on his tiny system. Kittens this age only need mother’s milk or kitten formula, and wet and dry cat food.

It will take time for him to get over this. I hope the little fellow will be okay.

Do you plan to spay and neuter your cats?

U Ursula019080
I cannot get him to a vet as I'm only 18 years old and I'm on college. I mainly use my allowance to buy the food for my cats. Yeah, I believe so too. I don't know why my mom would do that, she didn't help at all; She made it worst.

The kitten probably ingested an amount of a shotglass or less than. That's what I use to give them water and that's the glass I saw on the sink.

I've been thinking about spaying and neutering my cats but at the moment I have no funds yet; School just started. But in the future I'm planning as cats can reproduce a lot.

Another observation:
I can softly touch his head if I sit beside him but if I come from the front, his pupils dilute and try to avoid my petting. He's not running away from the other cats/kittens though. But he does not rest on their bed. I will try to observe more and update this thread.

I appreciate you answering my questions and replying on my thread. It reduces my anxiety on him getting really sick.

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In about an hour I will try to feed him and the other cats. I will also observe if he continues to communicate with other cats and if he will come near his mom and drink milk. I hope he eats because I honestly don't want his state to worsen.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A shot glass full would be a lot. Did the kitten throw up?

I hope he will eat cat food and be okay.

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A shot glass full would be a lot. Did the kitten throw up?

I hope he will eat cat food and be okay.
I'm not sure if the kitten threw up already. But another observation I think his mouth is twitching (I don't know how to explain it but it looks like it moves often). I hope the kitten throws up the mixture my mom gave because I think it's gonna help him recover.

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I have another observation and I tried looking up google but I saw no results. The kitten somehow wants to sit or rest on water. In my country we have canals open, he mistakenly walked there earlier. Right now, he's somewhere safe from drowning of water but he's soaked in water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is odd. Perhaps you should bring him inside your home for now and dry him and feed him. He will be safe inside for now and you can watch to make sure he is okay.

What country are you in?

Ursula019080

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is odd. Perhaps you should bring him inside your home for now and dry him and feed him. He will be safe inside for now and you can watch to make sure he is okay.

What country are you in?
I'm from Philippines, one if not the poorest country out there. I tried touching him again but he runs away, maybe because I carried him earlier because he was about to fall to the canal. But I will try to carry him inside my room. I was trying to dry him but he just walks away.