Trauma Linked To Spraying?

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a rescue cat a few years ago.. well..i kidnapped him from abusers.. he was literally cut up with knives and needed medical attention (he was also neutered). After medical attention he needed rehabilitation. He was fearful and hid for the first few months. We got him a companion cat, because im a believer in animals needing something from their own species. After year one his companion died in a tragic accident. He was clearly mourning. After much thought we got him a second companion. During her first heat, before she was old enough to be spayed, she got pregnant (by a neighbor cat).. she's been segregated from the household for most of the time for 10 days now with her litter.

Im going into much detail to express how much this animal has been through. When he's overstressed he over grooms and inflicts self injury. I can see he's doing that.

Well I've caught him spraying on items belonging to people who aren't immediately giving him what he wants?!? Here are some examples:

1.) My 10 year old was ignoring his cries for excessive wet cat food. He immediately ran to his room and sprayed in his closet.

2.) I was sleeping and he will gently pat my face when I'm sleeping because he wants to be petted.. well im tired and was sleeping through it... and he ran to my shoes and sprayed them!

There is no way these things are coincidences! It's happening like clockwork. He's been through a lot, but his companion having kittens seems to be the trigger.

Tips? Tricks? Ideas?
We have a vet check on my day off, but I'm afraid that'll upset him more.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the explanation and don't worry it was too much detail. I'm sorry your guy is having these problems but I'm glad you have an appointment scheduled at your vet soon. Obviously he is stressed out from the changes particularly being separated from his newest companion having her litter.

I thought these Articles may be helpful until you see the vet:
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Best of luck and please keep us posted after your cat's visit to the vet. :alright: