Trasition indoor/outdoor to only indoor

starkiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat use to have the freedom to be able to go in and out our house when ever because we had a cat door. Also he would use the bathroom outside only. I moved houses and now im renting so i cant make a cat door or replace the door. He is fully trained to go in a litter box but he cries at night because he misses his old lifestyle where literally ever night he would go and roam and play outside and bring inside small liziards or gekos or any insect or rodent. Every day my cat would bring me some kind of creature he caught and now he cant do that anymore. And he is becoming nuisance to my sleep.

taraarcher22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This might sound funny, but since he's used to being outside, ease him into going for walks outside. Put the collar/harness on him inside and let him get used to it being on, give him treats while it's on and pet him. Once he's used to that, take him outside on walks, he will definitely enjoy it, if he can get used to the collar/harness. I'm sure he is adjusting to the new home, and he is probably also a little stressed. Just try to make him as comfortable as possible! Hope this helps!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

Moving house on it's own is a huge deal for a cat, and to have his lifestyle changed too will have been extra stressful. It's no wonder he's struggling a bit to adjust. The good news is that he will, for sure, but it'll take a bit of work and a little time.[article="32804"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article]

First of all, you need to reset his body clock so that he's ready to sleep when you are. The best (and easiest) way to do this is through interactive play - especially if you mimic the hunt-kill-eat cycle, by using the play to simulate a hunt and the kill, and ending with a meaty snack or treat to allow him to 'eat his prey'. Once this is over, he'll naturally be ready to go into self grooming and sleep - perfect for when you want a peaceful night. I did this with a semi feral girl I rescued from a farm last year, and she now consistently goes to bed when I do and sleeps through the night. It definitely CAN be done :) [article="0"][/article][article="32656"][/article][article="32827"][/article]

You also need to look at enriching his environment to help him adjust to being indoor only. Look at opening up vertical space for him wherever possible, by use of cat trees, shelving, wall furniture, and even the tops of bookshelves and cupboards if they can be made safe. Try to give him some windowsill perches/access too, so he can watch the world go by. Interactive self play or puzzle toys can be really useful too. [article="22426"][/article][article="22537"][/article][thread="297074"][/thread][article="33177"][/article][article="32835"][/article]

As T taraarcher22 says, harness training him and taking him for regular walks may also really help him adjust to having his freedom curtailed. Most cats take to a harness really well, and it will definitely help him regain some of his old lifestyle that he enjoyed so much.[article="22430"][/article][article="22521"][/article]

Good luck with him. I'm sure that, before too long, you'll be able to have an uninterrupted night's sleep :sleep: :9: