Trapping Unweaned Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did test again today on Mom and the one kitten that was tested together. The mom was positive and the kitten was negative. They won't retest the mother to confirm, since she is a TNR cat and will be released back at the dumpster colony. She has been fixed and is staying at the vets for a week. For the kittens bed I put a plastic container with a heating pad and a blanket. But they sleep in the litter box and poop in their bed! How do I get them to stop that? They are still very stuffed up and snotty. I have drops to put in their eyes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put their poop in the litter box so they see it and smell it, and continue putting them in a clean bed, and putting them in the litter box before and after meals. Take a little paw and show them how to dig.

Are they on clavamox for their URI? They should be.

Why is the mom staying at the vet for a week?

Can she spend time with her kittens before being released? It would be good for her and the kittens.

Are any of her kittens still at the dump?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just had the three kittens. The cats that are TNR'ed always recover at the vet. I live in a tiny apartment with four cats, there is no space for me to do it. And the rescue lady lives with her father who does not allow cats. The kennel the kittens are in is not that big. I am just keeping the kittens temporarily until they are big enough to get fixed. Then the rescue lady will probably board them at the vet a little while until they heal up and then they will go to a shelter for adoption, unless she can find them a foster (which would be better). The rescue lady thinks the kittens will be going back to the vet about the time the mom is ready to be released, so she will get to see her babies for the last time then. They are not on clavimox, but I suspect if they don't improve, the vet may decide to do that. I don't get input into the medical treatment, the rescue lady pays for it and makes those decisions. I just do the trapping and temporary kitten care. It is cheaper for me to take care of the kittens, than to board at the vet, it saves a little bit of money.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little stressed out on what to do with the batch of five kittens. Firstly figuring out how to successfully trap them. I need positive thoughts sent my way. But then I am able to catch them I will have two batches of kittens and just the one kennel. An the three I have are sick, so I don't want to accidently get the batch of five sick. I guess I would to let the new ones loose in the bathtub, which make's it hard for me to be able to use the bathroom and bathe. It's only for a few weeks, so I suppose I will survive.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you just wait to start trapping those 5 until these three get spayed/neutered and go back to the rescue lady? Or maybe the rescue lady could find another foster and you could just trap them for her?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you just wait to start trapping those 5 until these three get spayed/neutered and go back to the rescue lady? Or maybe the rescue lady could find another foster and you could just trap them for her?
The rescue lady already is boarding eight kittens (that I rescued) that she can not find fosters for. She is their foster and takes them to adoptions at Petsmart. At one time she had twenty. It is costing her a lot of money and stress. She is running out of money and can't help much more. I can hold off of trapping the five. But I don't want to hold off too long. They could be sick too an they are not in a safe place.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you borrow another kennel? Try to locate another foster?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you borrow another crate from someone?
Maybe, it's just I feel like I've been a pest, asking for too much and I'm trying not to be too annoying.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you borrow another kennel? Try to locate another foster?
I don't know about locating a foster. I haven't had any luck in the past when I've tried. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't hesitate to ask to borrow a crate. It's a yes or no answer, and you are helping cats with it. I understand though! :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the crate of three kittens now? Maybe you could just put the litter of 5 in the bathroom not in a crate?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't hesitate to ask to borrow a crate. It's a yes or no answer, and you are helping cats with it. I understand though! :)
They might have one in a storage warehouse across town. But she bought this one I am borrowing now, to avoid going there, I think.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the crate of three kittens now? Maybe you could just put the litter of 5 in the bathroom not in a crate?
Yes, that is what I will do I think. My four cats are all in my tiny living room, where I work from home, trying to keep them from making noise while I'm on the phone. I've put them through a lot bringing all these cats and kittens home.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got two of the kittens from the other batch. I was able to grab them. One of them has a hole in it's eye. Maybe somebody poked it with a stick. People suck. The kitten isn't eating much. It has a bad cold too. If it gets better they will remove the eye. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness! I sure hope the kitten gets better.

Is it with you or at the vet? Is it on antibiotics?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's with me. They gave it a convenia shot and gave me drops to put in it's eyes. They said these two are only four weeks old. The one with the bad eye does not seem interested in eating. I'm worried about getting it to eat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear. You've got to get something into it with a syringe. Preferably KMR or baby food.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm giving her milk with a syringe. But she doesn't want very much.