Trapping a feral cat twice

Shakira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I trapped a feral cat that has significant wounds to its heads and when animal control came he unfortunately got away from them. What are the chances the cat falls for the same trap twice? Any tips on how to trap him again ASAP as he is in need of medical attention?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The article contains just about all the possibilities for trapping a hard to get cat.

This cat may go into a trap again, not saying it can't happen. Try a bait like KFC or something enticing. It does not have to be cat food per se. If you don't have KFC, a greasy frozen or deli fried chicken will do. You may also have to try some other strategies suggested like disguising the trap. Using a drop trap is listed. A cat rescue may have one that you could use, along with someone who might help you. Is this cat seriously injured and you intend to turn it over to AC?

TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shakira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. The traps I used were drop traps loaned from a vet, I am just worried he won’t fall for them again. I originally used fried chicken to lure him and that’s what I’m using again atm. I’ve covered the traps with a blanket to try and make them look different but so far no luck.
The cat is seriously injured and that’s why I’m worried he won’t fall for them again anytime soon. Animal control were the ones called to come and get him to take him to a vet before they let him escape on them :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are certainly doing all you can to help this cat. Just keep it up. I wonder if he would walk into a conventional trap like a Havahart on an off chance.

I have seen cats be retrapped by walking into the same trap again.