Trapped The Shyest Stray Of All Time, Now What?

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all! I gotta say, reading through the forum posts here today really helped me get in the zone to help a lovely kitty named Cinder Snoot that we were able to bring inside just a few days ago. They're already using the litter box, eating a bit, and even playing with toys! I just have one issue.

This is the shyest cat I have ever met, and I mean SHY! It's obvious they've been around humans at some point, but they're still so nervous. If I am in the room in any capacity, it's off to their hidey-hole. If it's daytime, they don't come out at all under any capacity period (I got a hidden camera to keep an eye out). At nights, they mowl and it sounds so sad like they want to socialize with someone, but I'm still too scary. They've accepted me talking from the other side of the door a little without immediately bolting for the hiding spot, so I'll count it as progress but...

I know we're very early on in the process of getting to know each other so I know that's plenty fine, got a Feliway device plugged in there and made sure the space had something that smelled a lot like me. I just got one weird issue I could really use help on - They hate wet food. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. Even leaving them completely alone with no interference the first few nights (because I wanted to make sure they felt safe) I couldn't get them to touch it. I tried several flavors from cans (turkey, chicken, salmon), I tried a churu treat in a bowl, heck I even got out some tuna! But they just REFUSE to touch it. They will eat kibble though, which is fine and dandy, except...

Every other cat I've helped socialize, I've been able to tempt into at least interacting with stinky tempting treats. So while I'm not quite at the "feed them from your hand or a spoon" yet, I'm worried about what to do at that point if they won't even consider taking a kibble from me and there continues to be a lot of resistance on me being in the room while they eat.

Has anyone else gone through this before and have some advice or strategies? I'd love another perspective and I'm happy to answer any questions on the situation if it may help! And don't worry, I've included a candid kitty cam photo because I know I'll be asked!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing Cinder Snoot. A total cutie pie.

Since you're saying "they" I'm guessing you don't know whether you have a boy or a girl. So you probably also don't know if they've been spayed/neutered. And also probably not been to the vet yet. So a vet visit is probably a good idea, when possible, to ensure Cinder Snoot is healthy, and make arrangements for their spay/neuter if necessary Also the vet could check for a chip, just to ensure you haven't rescued someone's lost cat.

Eating, using the litter box, and even playing a little, suggests that this is a stray/former pet as opposed to a feral. So probably just a really nervous kitty.

The Feliway might help. I've never used it myself, but some people have found it helpful. Others not so much.

TCS has a few articles with more info that might be helpful.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? - TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite

About not wanting to eat canned food, it may simply be that whoever Cinder lived with before, only fed them kibble. So wet food might not be something they've even seen before.

You could try tempting them with super stinky sardines. Or maybe KFC.

There's also this TCS article on the topic:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food - TheCatSite

As well as these older threads that might have some tips:
My cat won't eat wet food
Cat that won't eat Wet food

Good luck. I hope you'll keep us posted on Cinder's progress.. :bigeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing Cinder Snoot. A total cutie pie.

Since you're saying "they" I'm guessing you don't know whether you have a boy or a girl. So you probably also don't know if they've been spayed/neutered. And also probably not been to the vet yet. So a vet visit is probably a good idea, when possible, to ensure Cinder Snoot is healthy, and make arrangements for their spay/neuter if necessary Also the vet could check for a chip, just to ensure you haven't rescued someone's lost cat.
Yes, when we set out the live trap to see if we could get them inside at all (I had one around, done this a few times but it's usually a fix and release situation) I assumed it'd take several weeks of regular food to have a shot.There wasn't even any in there yet, it was somewhere else with the trap there just to get them used to the smell! And they just charged right in the second night. After seeing how obvious it was that they'd at least been around humans before, the plans changed quickly to work on socializing.

So we didn't have a vet on standby to get to right away and many here are booked out a month or more! I'm not used to having to wait so long here. A fix, all the shots, and basic tests are my top priority. I just hope they'll be comfy enough to let us coax into a carrier by then if we're stuck waiting that long.

In the meantime, we've called all the apartment complexes around here and let them know about the kitty in case someone was missing their friend. While there have been mentions of a black cat wandering around at many places, no one seems to own them near by. No vets or shelters knew of a black cat in our area yet either. I do hope we can see if there's a chip soon though.

Good luck. I hope you'll keep us posted on Cinder's progress.. :bigeyes:
No worries there, the Cinder Snoot Chronicles will continue as long as I can share them!

Last edited by a moderator:

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Celebrating the small victories today! First, poop in the litter box. 100% confirmation they've had enough to eat and aren't in full-blown starving mode, so I can now start doing fixed feeding without feeling so worried. It was hard seeing them refuse to touch the food while I was in the room today knowing they'll be hungry till next feeding time, but I know it's important for their long term happiness and health. That, and they're coming out during the daytime now!!! Yay for picture in the light!

Outside of this though, the little hiding spot I set up in the corner seems to no longer be preferred whatsoever! They've taken to jumping up on our TV stand and bookshelf. My visits today were interesting because of this, I didn't see ears all the way down the whole time (except for when I tried to put the food dish up there to at least try and let em eat, but that lasted only as long as my hand was near there). I think this height is instilling some confidence and actual vibes of safety, so here's hoping this means they'll be brave enough to eat with me in there tomorrow!

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing an awesome job!!!
I work at a place that boards cats, and I've found it helpful to just sit on the floor and play on my phone and completely ignore them while they get used to my presence. If they continue to hide, no problem. I don't look at them or talk to them at all, until they seem comfortable with me being there, and once they do they work up to being brave enough to come out. With time they pop out of their little hiding spot the second they see or hear someone. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Celebrating the small victories today! First, poop in the litter box. 100% confirmation they've had enough to eat and aren't in full-blown starving mode, so I can now start doing fixed feeding without feeling so worried. It was hard seeing them refuse to touch the food while I was in the room today knowing they'll be hungry till next feeding time, but I know it's important for their long term happiness and health. That, and they're coming out during the daytime now!!!
That's great to hear! I guess Cinder Snoot is not really a shy cat after all. Guess she's just checking out things to make sure she's safe and that you are of no threat to her and that's why she's not touching the food till you are gone and when the food is gone, she'll know that you'll be the one replenishing it.

The next time you bring the food in, sit in front of her and us the spoon and knock gently on the can and also flick the tab of the can a few times before you open the can. Let her get use to these sounds so that she'll associate you with food and it's time for food when she hears the sound of the can.

Scoop out the food in front of her and push the food to her and you sit a distance from her and keep talking to her in a loving voice and then move further away and don't keep eye contact as yet. Soon she'll be coming out to eat each time you bring food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Celebrating the small victories today! First, poop in the litter box. 100% confirmation they've had enough to eat and aren't in full-blown starving mode, so I can now start doing fixed feeding without feeling so worried. It was hard seeing them refuse to touch the food while I was in the room today knowing they'll be hungry till next feeding time, but I know it's important for their long term happiness and health. That, and they're coming out during the daytime now!!! Yay for picture in the light!

Outside of this though, the little hiding spot I set up in the corner seems to no longer be preferred whatsoever! They've taken to jumping up on our TV stand and bookshelf. My visits today were interesting because of this, I didn't see ears all the way down the whole time (except for when I tried to put the food dish up there to at least try and let em eat, but that lasted only as long as my hand was near there). I think this height is instilling some confidence and actual vibes of safety, so here's hoping this means they'll be brave enough to eat with me in there tomorrow!
Congrats on the tiny victories! The vet can check for a microchip. How many cats do you have now? How old do you think she is?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other thing that you can do, similar to what has already been suggested, is to, when you have time, take a book and sit on the floor in the room with them. Quietly, in a gentle voice, read aloud to the cat, without making eye contact. This puts you in the least threatening position possible, and also allows this cat to get accustomed to your voice.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other thing that you can do, similar to what has already been suggested, is to, when you have time, take a book and sit on the floor in the room with them. Quietly, in a gentle voice, read aloud to the cat, without making eye contact. This puts you in the least threatening position possible, and also allows this cat to get accustomed to your voice.
I've read to kittens before! It's fun to see them go from hissy to looking very interested in what I'm saying. When they're used to me, sometimes I have even given the characters voices!

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the tiny victories! The vet can check for a microchip. How many cats do you have now? How old do you think she is?
It looks like they might be a bit over a year old tops. My partner remembers seeing some black kittens about a year ago in some bushes at a nearby house, so as no one locally (we've called everywhere we can) seems to know the kitty yet, we're suspecting they came from there though we can't confirm it. Considering how adjusted they were to litter and the fact they ONLY will eat kibble (I've tried about every treat alternative I can, even just something fatty like mayo) and there is ZERO interest though... I can't be sure. Too many things indicate they had a home proper at once point.

I'm on a schedule of doing this at least twice daily! I go in and just pop on a movie at a nice and low volume and hang out. I usually try to tdo the same times (or at least as close as I can) one in the afternoon, one at night (they refuse to eat during the daytime currently, so I'd do it for breakfast/dinner once they get settled in enough).

But, I bet you all want an update on the Cinder Snoot Chronicles so I have one!

Last night, after a LOT of very upset meowing, I waited until there was a bit of quiet (don't want to get them to associate this with attention early on) and went in calmly, and basically just laid myself down and did my best to sleep on the floor. I woke up... And there was Cinder Snoot, in the window, with me close by! They aren't down to come up for pets or anything else yet, but I guess nighttime really inspires their confidence. WAY less sad meowing too, so I might just snag a foam bed topper and manage to hang out there overnight whenever possible. We can slowly work up to the morning/afternoon hangs being a bit more exciting as time goes on after all, and I can finally catch up on shows I want to watch a bit maybe at night!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like they might be a bit over a year old tops. My partner remembers seeing some black kittens about a year ago in some bushes at a nearby house, so as no one locally (we've called everywhere we can) seems to know the kitty yet, we're suspecting they came from there though we can't confirm it. Considering how adjusted they were to litter and the fact they ONLY will eat kibble (I've tried about every treat alternative I can, even just something fatty like mayo) and there is ZERO interest though... I can't be sure. Too many things indicate they had a home proper at once point.

I'm on a schedule of doing this at least twice daily! I go in and just pop on a movie at a nice and low volume and hang out. I usually try to tdo the same times (or at least as close as I can) one in the afternoon, one at night (they refuse to eat during the daytime currently, so I'd do it for breakfast/dinner once they get settled in enough).

But, I bet you all want an update on the Cinder Snoot Chronicles so I have one!

Last night, after a LOT of very upset meowing, I waited until there was a bit of quiet (don't want to get them to associate this with attention early on) and went in calmly, and basically just laid myself down and did my best to sleep on the floor. I woke up... And there was Cinder Snoot, in the window, with me close by! They aren't down to come up for pets or anything else yet, but I guess nighttime really inspires their confidence. WAY less sad meowing too, so I might just snag a foam bed topper and manage to hang out there overnight whenever possible. We can slowly work up to the morning/afternoon hangs being a bit more exciting as time goes on after all, and I can finally catch up on shows I want to watch a bit maybe at night!
This is such great progress. :petcat: You are incredibly dedicated!! And what a good idea waiting for a bit of quiet, it would be so easy to accidentally train them to be as loud as possible!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I want to add to this thread is that the shyest stray of all-time was lucky enough to find the most thoughtful carer of all-time.

I also have a cat who was a stray when I found him, although he was super-friendly immediately and not shy at all. He may have been dumped outside which makes me sad... but he's been in a loving home for almost 9 years.

Good job with what you are doing so far! I agree that you have definitely made good progress.

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I cannot begin to describe my shock at this latest Cinder Snoot Chronicles update because WOW there is so much.

Let's start with the fact that he, yes you read that right, he (I could finally get a look!) came out during the day today, WITH ME IN THE ROOM! And that's not even remotely all. He came right up to me for more gentle sniffs, and then when I tried to pull out a treat, everything changed. Like, letting me even pet a bit, eating right out of my hand, the works! So I got a little bit of the tuna just to see and well, I guess that aversion to anything like wet food has completely and utterly vanished because it was gone in seconds!!!

I honestly can't believe it, it was like a switch flipped overnight. They aren't super affectionate yet by any means, but they're obviously ready to start exploring the house a good bit more. I plan to give it another day or so, just to make sure in case there in backwards progress, but this is just so plain fantastic. Now I can actually tell the vet it's a neutering too which is a nice bonus over the guesswork we had to do. With tuna now for sure an established safe treat, I'll start working on comfort in the carrier we have and we'll get this show on the road proper!

A few pictures of the good boy in the light, guess they weren't quite so shy as expected after all!

Attachments

LiteralGrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's been a few days and we're at an unusual spot! Cinder Snoot does come out for pets sometimes when I come in, but isn't really big on purring or being up to it very long. I'm accepting he might just not be the most affectionate, totally okay! He's still a little scared, sometimes hiding in his comfy spot when I come in, but that usually doesn't last terribly long if he actually wants to enjoy the windows and such.

The problem I'm having now is that he seems like he wants to explore the rest of the house, especially if his meowling and trying to demolish the carpet near the door (which we improvised protection for that's working marvelously) is anything to do with it. But the few times I've tried to leave the door wide open to let him go out and about a bit, he stays in his little hidey hole still.

Now, there has been one time, when I was setting up the carpet protection, that he decided he needed to zoom past me as quickly as possible but the moment I went after him at all it was time to desperately dash into the safe room again.

I'm trying to figure out how to build up his confidence so he can explore, as he clearly wants to (or to at least get out of the singular room a little bit) but not even treats could coax him out with the door open.

Has anyone dealt with major cat conflicting feelings on leaving their safe den that has a bit of advice for me on this one?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Has anyone dealt with major cat conflicting feelings on leaving their safe den that has a bit of advice for me on this one?
Yes, he’s eager to explore the rest of the house but at times he still has the fear as exploring new territories can be frightening for him and that is why he dashed back to the safe room knowing that it is safe there.

If you are ready to let him explore, move some of his towel or toys or anything that has his scents on it from the safe room and place it near the door and outside of the room near the door. This is to help him move around confidently as the stuffs placed there have familiar scents.

Leave the safe room door open and let him explore at his own time and also once he build up his confidence, he’ll venture further. Once he’s afraid, he can retreat to the safe room.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, for a few days in, you are in an exceptionally good place. I've seen cats take weeks to even be seen after being brought in. tabbytom tabbytom gave you great advice. I'll only add that your greatest gifts right now are time and patience, and you seem to have those in spades.