trapped kitty- I'm new! what to do??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GUESS WHAT???? Sweetie gave birth to 4 kittens!

Maybe that's why she went crazy when I tried to put her in the carrier. I spent all afternoon/evening yesterday with her to try to calm her down and she was very affectionate but a few times would bite me so I thought she was still mad about yesterday morning but apparently she must've started having contractions and felt pain and struck out at me in the afternoon/evening.

I left her alone in the bedroom around 10 pm last nite to go to bed and this morning when I walked in, she didn't come to greet me as she ususally did so I went over to the box to look in and saw 4 kittens nursing from her! She and her babies look good (from what I can tell- I have NO experience with newborn kittens)and clean.

This makes it more complicated cuz I don't feel comfortable transporting her/kittens to a new home because I know moving can be very upsetting and Sweetie has gone thru so much with babies last nite I'm sure sooo for now, it looks like I will keep them for at least a week or up to 12 weeks. Depending on how Lori, (who works a lot with ferals, feel- she might feel it'd be more benefitical for the cat/kittens to be with a foster mom who's very experienced with kittens.

Will keep u posted.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad she had her kittens okay. You are probably right about why she got so upset at the carrier. You are really doing a great thing for them. If they were mine, I would keep them in one room together until they are at least 6 weeks old. It's true that sometimes the stress can lead to problems with taking care of the little ones. If you don't have to, I wouldn't move them just incase. I hope she continues to do great with the babies

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wrong- Sweetie have FIVE kittens. I guess I didn't see the fifth kitten this morning or she wasn't finished with birthing.

She is still affectionate this evening and came out, kept rubbing against me and begged to be petted but once in a while while I'd be petting her, she'd hiss, bite/swat at me out of the blue then the next minute be begging to be petted again. Any idea why she'd be doing this?

I am confused about this...

Would appreciate any advice regarding this!
Pamela

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she let me near the box with kitties inside to look in but if I put out my hand to try to pet Sweetie, she'd hiss and swat at me so I know she won't let me touch the babies at this time.

Just got some bloody scratches on my leg from her because as I walked past her to put down a rug on the door to hide the space between the floor and door (my 3 cats were putting their paws under the door so Sweetie would attack them and I don't want them getting hurt) and as I passed her, she went crazy and scratched me.

Now when I pet her, I am nervous about her scratching me again- I try not to show this but I already have over 10 scratches (within 2 days) from her! So now I am more hesistant about petting Sweetie. SIGH. Can't wait for her to calm down!!

Two more questions- the box is starting to smell - I'm sure the kittens peed. HOW can I change the towels?? I know if I try to pull the towel out and put in a new one that she'd attack me sooo what do I do???? And how often do I do this- once a day or every time they make a mess or what?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela, again, I have no experience with new moms and kittens! I'm sure Sandie will check in again - I'll PM her just in case.

I don't know about hormones and cats, but I do know ferals are frequently like that. They want the love, but get sometimes get overstimulated very very easily. Watch the tail. I don't know if it's different with new mums, but as soon as the tip of the tail twitches, stop petting. What we do with our "outside" gang is give them just one or two real good hard pets (almost all ferals seem to like it rough, for some reason). Stop a minute - watch the cat - and if it leans in again for more, we give 'em another pet. Stop - watch. Then we head back inside with our hands still intact!
This might be good advice for you now, hormones in Mum or no.

But generally as soon as the tip of the tail starts to twitch, that is also a signal that the cat is becoming overstimulated and has had enough - though often just for a minute or two, and then they want more. :tounge2:

Pamela - I'm sure everything's going to be just fine - so far, you're being a terrific Grandma! We'll do everything we can to help get you through this - and hopefully without too many more scratches.

BTW - please treat those immediately with some type of antiseptic. Cat scratches can be bad.

Keeping you and kitties (and Mum) in my thoughts today,

Laurie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is exhibiting typical feral cat behavior. Wanting to trust you, but unsure of what you are going to do.Please do not even attempt to handle this kittens unless she rejects one or two and pushes them away from her. Instead see to her comforts, food and water, and don't even pet her. Mom's in feral state are very unpredictable and they strike lightning fast. Sit near her but far enough away, and read aloud to her softly. Put some of your sweaty clothes near her food bowl, but please no matter how tempting, leave her alone for awhile. She has a lot of adjustments to make and trust me, you could really get hurt here.

I have one upstairs that is pregnant and we are working this out as well. I hope to bond with her before the kittens come, but she is shredding paper, so I think it probably won't happen (the bonding I mean) kittens are quite near at hand.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's got to be really hard with her being so protective. I am only telling you this as someone who works at a vet clinic and has had to push the issue sometimes. If the linnens are that dirty, I can only give you 2 suggestions. If she is okay eough for you to pet her away from the kittens, I would try to gently scruff her for your safety. You can also try setting a nice smelly can of wet food away from her queening area. Mom should be cleaning and consuming the kittens waste, so maybe it's her making it dirty? Have you seen her leave to use the box? If it's her, I would try and change it as often as possible. If not, every few days or so.
Oh, and we have done this a few times and it's help a bit. We started putting the Dr bachs rescue remedy in moms drinking water. It may help with her, and it's actually helped newborn kittens that were under stress, so nursing from mom wouldn't be a problem.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HOORAY HOORAY!!! I finally saw that wounded feral cat the other day and he's still alive and looks good!! He must have just come back or have been coming during the day while I'm gone DURING THE DAY. .

Now, about Sweetie, the feral mom with 5 kittens- She is doing GREAT and is one of the MOST AFFECTIONATE cats ever!!! She has calmed a lot now- if I pet her too much or I play with her kittens too much, she'd give me a GENTLE bite on the hand. The only times she draw blood from me is when I STOP PETTING HER and she'd rear up on her hindlegs and try to stop me from leaving with her claws and her claws would rake me by accident. Once one of her claws got stuck in my leg- MAN THAT WAS PAINFUL- but she didn't do THAT on purpose. So now, if I stop petting her and want to move away, I have to watch her and avoid her claws. She has stopped hissing and would CONSTANTLY rub against me begging to be petted.

I didn't touch her kittens for the first few days then one morning I saw one kitten fall out of the box (didn't fall down too far) but was stuck. I waited to see if Sweetie would pick her up and move her back into the box but she didn't sooo I SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY moved my hand toward the kitten while watching Sweetie for her reaction. Sweetie just watched me as I nudged the kitten toward the box then finally I picked the kitten up and put her in the box with Sweetie. Since then, I have been able to pick up the kittens.

HIssy, I know you said not to touch the kittens but several other people told me I need to get the kittens used to being touched by humans and be ready for adoption.. I don't take them out of Sweetie's sight and only hold them for a few minutes.

Sometimes it seems she's more concerned about beint petted than about her kittens! I would pick one kitten up and Sweetie would be rubbing against me so I'd move my hand with the kitten on it to her and she'd start rubbing against my hand ignoring the kitten!

I guess she's OBSESSED with being petted. It makes it really difficult for me to do my research for classes because I end up petting her instead of doing research.
It kinda worries me though because I don't want her bonding so much with me so when/if she gets adopted out she wouldn't bond with another person. Could that happen?

I'd love to keep her but I already have 3 cats and several times Sweetie has attacked them (THIS was during her pregnancy/early days after birth soooo I'm not sure if she'd still attack them now). Also,I am afraid to try to introduce them because I can't pick Sweetie up if she start attacking the cats. I have used a brush on my cats then on Sweetie and vice versa to get them used to the smell of each other - same thing with towels... I also am not sure it'd be fair to Sweetie because it seems she need a lot of attention/affection and I am barely able of keeping up with THREE cats (giving affection, working, attending an university, etc). As of now, I try to spend at least 30 min in the morning with Sweetie then about 1 1/2 hours in the bedroom with her and rest of the time I'd be in the living room/kitchen with my 3 cats so that way Sweetie will still get attention. Any ideas on this/feedback/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without being there to see Sweetie and judge her temperment, me telling you not to touch the kittens was for your own safety. Feral moms are unpredictable and can strike lightning fast before you know it. Handling the kittens right after birth, is not a good idea, unless you know what you are doing, and you have the mom's trust. Once the kittens eyes are open, they are easier to handle. There have been times, when I was handling a kitten of a long-time feral mom and while in my arms, the kitten mewed, and the mom struck out nailing me pretty good.

If you cannot seem to make time for multiple cats, then you shouldn't have multiple cats, and don't count on the fact that Sweetie giving birth has mellowed her out towards other cats. I would encourage you to try and find a really good loving home for Sweetie with someone (perhaps an elderly, or even a shut-in) that needs the cat as much as she will need that person.

Good luck!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy,
I appreciate your advice regarding Sweetie and not touching her kittens due to my safety.

I also wanted to make clear that I DO MAKE TIME for all my cats. I am not neglecting any of them and actually spoil them rotten.

I was merely pointing out that making sure I give enough attention to my own cats while making time for Sweetie and her babies at the same time as working, going to school and studying, is a bit of a strain.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela - I'm so pleased things are going well with Sweetie. I have no experience with pregnant females, but I'm glad things seem to be working out! I know you wanted to get her to a foster home - and that didn't work out (Sweetie had her own schedule!
). But it seems like you're really enjoying being a kitty grandma!

About the time - I have no suggestions. Gary and I have three cats, but there are two of us, so it's easier to make time for each of them with a busy schedule. All I can suggest is - if you can find a way to make time and that's a priority for you, you can maybe make it work. But for your whole family, it's important to be practical too. Gary and I are still torn about bringing a fourth kitty home, and we're working on it. Because the no kill shelters are full, we have him in boarding now. He's being socialized and is a happy kitty (we just went to see him today). We're working on finding him a home - but our adoption requirements are so stringent.... I guess my point is it really depends upon you, your time and your space. There's nothing really to recommend except adoption if your schedule's too busy.

If you find you can make the time - is there any way to introduce her to each cat, one at a time? She's in a separate room now - what about just one kitty at at a time - that way you can pick up the other kitty.

???????

...and about the wounded kitty - is he all healed up? Are you thinking about trapping him? Are there no-kill shelters in your area? With all you have on your hands, I don't know if you have time for this, but you might see if there are low or no-cost neuter programs in your area. You could consider trapping him, getting him checked by a Vet and having him neutered and releasing him (if you don't have no-kill shelter space near you that has space available).

....just thoughts.....