Trapped Feral Momma Cat And Her Babies: Advice

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello,

I just recently obtained three 2 - 2 1/2 week old kittens the other morning from a bad location that momma had them in. I took in her babies and set a trap out in hopes of catching the momma. She was successfully caught and now they are currently in my spare bathroom. She definitely seems like a feral, she's petrified (poor thing). Unfortunately, it seems she's not going anywhere near her babies or even feeding them. Is this normal for a feral mother who is really scared? Will she eventually start feeding them again? I feel bad because she had took really good care of them prior to me taking them home but I couldn't leave them where they were found, there was just too much human foot traffic and a lot of folks in this area seem to dislike cats a lot. I'm looking for any input or advice. I was hoping I would find her with her babies this morning but she was still hiding and her babies were hungry, so I sat in there and fed them. Please help with any advice.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes moms do better if there is a covered crate or box that she can go in with babies. Is there a way to build a den for her? If you can close her in a large crate, she may resume care.

Thank you for rescuing them!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. But it should be better when she has landed, ie calmed herself realizing nobody is mean to her As you say, she is scared to death...

Of course, you cant wait to long... Even if healthy kittens can manage surprisingly long without care....

Try with calming, relaxing music on low volume. If you have access to Feliway - adapter or spray, you may try with this too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the advice. Right now the babies are in a cat crate with a heating pad and blanket, which is obviously too small for momma to fit as well. I will go get my large dog crate and stick it in there instead (hopefully it fits) and see if she then eventually doesn't go in there with them. Fingers crossed. I would really like to see her start nursing them again. I don't have access to feliway currently but when I do, I'll go pick it up and see if that doesn't help. I do go in there and sit with them for a while.... so hopefully momma will realize I won't hurt her and find herself back with her babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
bulldog232004 bulldog232004

Is mom feeding the babies yet?

If not, how often and how much are you feeding them? Do you use a syringe and powdered KMR?

Are you leaving food out for mom?

When did you get them?

Cover the large dog crate on 3 sides with a blanket, and remove the smaller crate from the bathroom. Leave only a night light in the bathroom. No bright overhead light.

Hopefully mom will feel safer at night when no one is around.

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

No, she hasn't fed them at all since I've had them. We found the babies in the morning around 1030 am and caught the mom at around 330 pm, yesterday.

As far as feeding, I have been feeding them every 3 hours probably. I use a syringe and the KMR powder. I don't feed them during the night though as I fingered that would probably be the most likely time that mom would maybe go to her babies, since the house is quiet.

I do feed mom wet food and she eats it. She has water and food and a litter tray..

I took out the little cat crate and put in the large dog crate.. she's still in the same spot unfortunately that she was this morning. I will put a night light in there right now and turn out the lights. I just thought it was so dark in there with the lights off because there's no windows.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Are you able to get mom into the crate with the kittens?

Where in the bathroom is mom hiding?

If mom does not feed the babies overnight tonight, you'll need to begin getting up once during the night to feed them.

How much are the kittens eating? How much do they weigh?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hopefully mom will go in the crate on her own to feed her babies tonight with the lights off.

Have you covered the crate with a blanket on 3 sides?

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

She hasn't been hiding behind the toilet. She comes out to use her litter and eat but goes right back to hiding. I haven't tried to physically put her in there because I'm not sure how she will react to me. I've gotten my hand close to her but she looks so fearful she just might bite.

I will cover the crate, I haven't yet. I did just put a night lite in and turned the light off though.

As for the kittens, I let them eat as much as they will take. And when they stop I go to the other kittens and then will come back around with the formula one more time to see if they still want anymore. Sorry, I don't have the exact amount.

I weighed the kittens today and they weigh between 8 and 9.5 lbs. There is one little baby that is noticably smaller than the other two.. the 8 lb kitten. I do make sure that little one gets his/her fill.

I do hope she goes to them tonight and feeds them...

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

So good news!! Momma cat finally started nursing babies again! Yay! I checked early this am and she was nursing them and she's with them now in the dog crate. I'm so happy! Thank you for all your advice. I am still weighing them just to make sure and I'm still a little concerned about the tiniest one, but I'm sure they will all do fine. Yay!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, this is good news. Please keep an eye on the tiny one, and supplement sooner rather than later. I'm glad it's working out.

Keep us posted as to how they all are doing! :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wonderful that she is feeding them! How are they doing now? Can you post a picture of them?

bulldog232004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_3729.JPG
IMG_3727.JPG
Yeah of course I will. They seem to be doing really well! I'm so happy. Kittens are feeding a lot now that momma finally came around. I check on them often.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
It's great that you were able to rescue a black cat & black kittens this time of year. Some people are so horrible, and we've all heard awful stories about what happens to some black cats around Halloween. They are precious, good for you!