Trapped a stray last night

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job!  It is pretty obvious that he trusts you, which is great.  He'll realize soon that this procedure means a clean potty for him.

BTW - I saw a 3-foot crate at Ross the other day for $50.  Maybe you can look there, TJ Maxx or Salvation Army/Goodwill.

Check Craig's List, too.  I found two 3-foot crates for less than $100 (for both!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikimarie673

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning all! Need some advice. So my method for cleaning his cat box is becoming harder because now when I come out he comes right to the front of the cage now. He is doing great with the fingers through the front of the cage. He loves ear scratches and pets on his head. He purrs and rolls around and curls his paws while I do it. I have noticed he is a bit mouthy (reminds me of a puppy almost) he likes to nibble on my fingers while petting him. I just say no, no bites in a firm tone and he stops. Well today while cleaning his litter box he decided to stay at the front to the cage so tried hard to work around him (he finally pooped yay!). Once I was done with that I replaced the bedding as best I could with him in the way. He is getting curious about the outside world and then on top of that when I put the bowl in the cage of wet food he nipped my arm. Mind you he did not break skin or even leave marks. He was not growling, hissing or spitting. He did not appear in fear. Just moments before he was rolling around purring and loving his head scratches through the door. He was all excited for food cause as soon as I crack the can he is meowing and demanding food. So I'm trying to determine if it was a playful nip like what kittens do to each other and also since he likes to nibble on my fingers when we are doing head scratching. Or did I scare him when I put my arm in? I know if he wanted to he really could have bit me good but he didn't. I'm just a little frazzled cause I don't wanna let him have free rain of the garage yet cause I'm not confident I could get him back in the carrier for whatever reason etc. Any advice. He has never not once hissed, growled or spit at me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is you invading him in such a small space.  He is uncertain of what you are doing and his instinct is to bite/claw if needed.  Yet I believe that each time you go into the cage, he is either going to try and escape or be afraid.  Maybe you should move the litter box to the front of the cage. 

Having him free roam in a garage is not a good idea.  Who knows what he could get into and where he could hide. 

Keep your movement slow.  Also tell him each time you are in the cage what you are doing.  Tell him that he is safe and you will  move swiftly and try not to scare him.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am again going to suggest using a carrier.  If it doesn't fit in the crate, then get him used to going into it when you clean the box.  It will be safer than him escaping into the garage.

The mouthing is part of him being bored.  We often have to play with one of our cats to help her expend some energy before we pet her.  Otherwise, she will attack our hands, bite and scratch - she is playing but it doesn't feel like it!

I know you have no alternative, so this is not to make you feel badly.  But being cooped up in that crate will have a psychological affect on him.  Please take that into mind whenever you interact with him.  You only have a couple of weeks before he's (hopefully) cleared to be in the house, so try to be patient with him.  I know how hard that is and you are doing a great job

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikimarie673

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, after very much debating and lots of crying because I hated to do it, I took this precious boy to the local shelter. I used to volunteer at this particular shelter and I know they are very good people and love all the animals that come in. That's where I got my two precious girls from. I hated to admit that I couldn't end up giving him what he needed at the moment. I have shed lots of tears since dropping him off, especially when he started crying when they took him out of his crate. :( thank you all for the continued advice. I am going to sponsor him once he makes it to the adoption floor. Again thanks for everything, I will be around still because even though I did everything I could to help 1 precious baby I still have two very active 3 year old shelter girl cats who own me. Tonight I am just holding them a bit closer and hoping that my rescue boy can impress the shelter like he did me!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry things did not work out as you planned.  Hopefully he will find a loving home soon.  Thank you for caring for him and allowing him to have a chance at a better life.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You did so much more than most people would have! And it truly sounds like he is far from feral, and actually wants to be with a loving person - so I think hastening the process of getting him into a shelter (that you know is a good one) was for the best --- it just speeds the process of getting him into a forever home. i cry every time I take foster kittens (even if I only have them for a week or two) back to our shelter --even though I know the shelter will take wonderful care of them & they'll hopefully quickly have loving forever homes. The price we pay for opening our hearts :)