transitioning to raw

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats turned up with gingivitis by his first birthday so I feed at least some meat chunks every day and bone once a week, AND brush teeth.  Thankfully this has worked, even though I'm not sure how effective my brushing is.  I'm right handed and I find it really hard to brush the cats' left side.  It took a LONG time for them to get used to brushing, and one cat still isn't entirely with the program - I have to get him when he's relaxed and sleepy.  The trouble is he's not very food motivated.  The other one loves it so much he starts meowing at me when it's close to toothbrush time.  And sometimes he opens his mouth and tries to rub his back teeth on the brush for me!  I think he was easy to train because he loves the toothpaste and also gets bits of treats (kitty crack) in between brushes and afterwards.  And I found that it's easy to brush too hard which probably is uncomfortable, when I lightened up they got more cooperative.
I have the same problem with the left side! Beyond being right-handed, there's the angle I have to take because of how they stand on the sink vanity. But at least they actually seem to enjoy brushing: they love the toothpaste enough that that's their treat.

I got a freeze dried today and didn't think I mixed it up right with the water.  Just put less than half of the amount of nuggets of warm water and stirred.  Should I be breaking up the pieces?  Is it supposed to sort of have a "wet cat food" consistency. It looked more like the pellets absorbed a little water but were more just floating in the water.
Yes, break the nugget up, add water, and stir, pressing on the pieces as you stir. (I think a fork works better than a spoon.) One of our cats likes the pieces to be small chunks (nothing bigger than, say, the size of a pencil eraser or they won't rehydrate) but the other will eat it if it's practically pulverized to powder and then rehydrated. You may need to experiment a little to find out which way your cats prefer the food.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I got a freeze dried today and didn't think I mixed it up right with the water.  Just put less than half of the amount of nuggets of warm water and stirred.  Should I be breaking up the pieces?  Is it supposed to sort of have a "wet cat food" consistency. It looked more like the pellets absorbed a little water but were more just floating in the water.
Usually what I do is put warm water first into a small bowl (about a tablespoon), then I begin to crumble up the nugget(s) into the bowl. As I do this, I gradually add more water. I also use a small fork (a fork for olives) to mash up some bits but others I leave chunky. I make sure all are covered in water, not too soupy or swimming in water, but enough for hydration. As LIsa HE mentioned, I also press on the larger pieces so that water can enter into the chunks.  I serve the food onto the cats plates and then, pour a little of the water left in the bowl over the food which makes it like gravy - the cats love it.  :)  It can take a few trial and error times to see what kind of consistency your cats like, making sure the food is properly hydrated etc. I use more water than what Primal recommends, in my opinion, one tablespoon per nugget is not enough moisture.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Usually what I do is put warm water first into a small bowl (about a tablespoon), then I begin to crumble up the nugget(s) into the bowl. As I do this, I gradually add more water. I also use a small fork (a fork for olives) to mash up some bits but others I leave chunky. I make sure all are covered in water, not too soupy or swimming in water, but enough for hydration. As LIsa HE mentioned, I also press on the larger pieces so that water can enter into the chunks.  I serve the food onto the cats plates and then, pour a little of the water left in the bowl over the food which makes it like gravy - the cats love it.  :)  It can take a few trial and error times to see what kind of consistency your cats like, making sure the food is properly hydrated etc. I use more water than what Primal recommends, in my opinion, one tablespoon per nugget is not enough moisture.
Further on the water: I use about 1/4-1/3 C of water for the equivalent of about 2.5 nuggets, definitely more than the one tablespoon they recommend. That would definitely not be enough: the nuggets really soak up the water and our cats lap everything up. Very swanky, LisaMarie12, with that olive fork!
I just use a mundane salad fork!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  I'm right handed and I find it really hard to brush the cats' left side.
I'm right handed and don't have a problem with brushing either of my cat's teeth. With my Aby I put him on the bathroom counter perpendicular to me and his head on the right. My Aby just stands there. I brush the right side of his mouth first and then turn his head towards me a little to get to the left side of the mouth. With my DMH, I have to sit her on the counter facing away from me and then brush her teeth from behind. The left side is a little harder since I have to use my left hand.
How long do you feed a single bone for? For a large bone, do you give it to the cat for like half an hour and then put it in the fridge for a later gnawing session?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Further on the water: I use about 1/4-1/3 C of water for the equivalent of about 2.5 nuggets, definitely more than the one tablespoon they recommend. That would definitely not be enough: the nuggets really soak up the water and our cats lap everything up. Very swanky, LisaMarie12, with that olive fork!
I just use a mundane salad fork!
he, he, he. :) The olive fork is the purrfect tool for this. Also, just to be a bit more OCD on this rehydration and serving up of FD food, after I mix it all in the bowl, I portion out the food onto their plates (without just dumping it onto the plates including the water in the bowl), into a mound on each plate. Then, I take the leftover water from the bowl and pour it right down the center of the mound. This way, it creates gravy into the food without the water and bits of FD powder floating around the food.

I don't know why Primal only suggests one tablespoon of water for per nugget, it's not enough.

Last edited:

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I allow her to keep the bone until she seems to be done for the day, 1-2 hours. And then store it in the fridge. It seems like the bone gets "dry" after a while, and when she shows no interest in it at all I throw it away. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

To my reading, Lisa Pierson's partial cooking method has to be followed by finely grinding the bones.  There's a note on the catsite info page that says don't feed cooked bone even if ground, but apparently that's not a problem as long as you have a good grinder and are careful about not letting large pieces slip through.
No, you should never feed cooked bones of any kind, super ground or not. The partial cooking called for in Dr. Pierson's recipe only lightly cooks the surface of the meat. The bone remains completely uncooked. Uncooked bones are soft. Cooked bones are hard. Feeding ground, cooked bones would be like feeding broken glass. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering about recommended amounts of commercial raw. For example, my kitten will eat the recommended frozen primal nuggets per day, but then in the afternoon on the weekends I feed him some Feline Natural freeze dried (on weekdays I leave out a little dry because I haven't bought a wet ftimed feeder yet- he's not crazy about the dry but I worry he'll get too hungry.  He runs around a lot playing with my 1 year old cat).  

Anyhow...  in the afternoon on weekends I was giving him the Feline Natural and when I looked at their recommended amounts it seems like I'm giving him the amount the recommend for a full days worth of food.  3/4 of their scoop is not much.  If that was all I was giving him all day that would seem so little.  However, having him eat that much at one of his 3 meals for a day might be overdoing it.  What do you think?

cameo2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Beesto,

From my experience of  having cats since I was a young girl. I have never come across a kitten that will over eat. Most recommendations on kittens is feed every 4 hours depending on their age, my breeder also said that. They are growing and very active at this point.  You did not mention his age. Feeding will slow down as he gets older. I also have a Siberian (silver) kitten 4 months old. I offer him raw diet every 4 hours. He is very active teasing my 6 year old and playing also. Sometimes eats 4-5 times a day. His weight is perfect. Does not like dry food( plays with it)  Is growing like a weed and has never refused a meal at this point.  Siberians are a beautiful large breed.  I love the personality at such a young age. Something I have not experienced in other kittens.  So sweet, talks back (is cheeky) makes the cutest chirp like noise running around the house. Wants to be close to people and very affectionate. Purr's on demand. Wish I could afford another! I really do not think he will over eat. If he seems irritable maybe offer a little more. Cats sometimes develop overeating problems when older. Feeling they are in competition with the others in the household. At this point I don't think that problem would pertain to him.  Anyway enjoy him!  Cats have been my passion since 10 yrs. old.  

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so cute that we both have silver Siberians, mine is more of a dark grey so I don't know if that is actually still called silver. Anyhow... mine is 5 months old.  He's such a true delight.  Very affectionate and purrs on demand like you say.  Both my Siberians are my first cats ever and I never knew what I was missing.  I was like you that I couldn't afford another one but really wanted one.  I don't know if you can start saving up!  But it's so worth it!!  When my Lily was one year old I just bit the bullet and got another one.  They are double the fun together and just love each other and are so cute playing together.  My husband and I both work so I know Lily was lonely.  Do you have pictures of your cat?  I would love to see one.  Mine are under the forum fur pictures and it's titled My Two Siberians (if you like cat pics).  Thank you for your response! 

cameo2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Siberians have a personality plus. Your two are beautiful. Lily looks like a color point, and Chili looks shaded silver (is developing a nice neck ruff). Don't have I phone for picture. But his daddy is the big silver on Siberian Beauty's Hollywood, Ca.  This breed has a interesting background. Was not recognized/accepted by CFA-TICA till 1990. The oppressed people of Russia were not suppose to have pets. They do resemble Nor Forest Cats but of course come from  different part of the country.  I would like to get another but want a "Golden" rare and sought after. My breeder is also Russian. Has waiting list , especially for "Goldens". I like her, very fussy, I could not handle babies till after shots. Breeds just once a year. A certified cattery. My last pedigree was a Bengal. Another exotic personality. High energy, and loyal. Passed at 15 yrs. Still miss him[emoji]9829[/emoji]   

Glad I chose Siberian this time around.  At 59 I don't think I could keep up with a Bengal!  LOL.   Yes, of course I love cat pictures. Pinterest  has some different color variations of Russian Siberians on their site.  Glad you are enjoying the company of cats now.  They are magical and never lie about love.  Like fine wine get better with age.   Have fun with the new treasures you have found!  CAM  

cameo2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes, Siberians have a personality plus. Your two are beautiful. Lily looks like a color point, and Chili looks shaded silver (is developing a nice neck ruff). Don't have I phone for picture. But his daddy is the big silver on Siberian Beauty's Hollywood, Ca.  This breed has a interesting background. Was not recognized/accepted by CFA-TICA till 1990. The oppressed people of Russia were not suppose to have pets. They do resemble Nor Forest Cats but of course come from  different part of the country.  I would like to get another but want a "Golden" rare and sought after. My breeder is also Russian. Has waiting list , especially for "Goldens". I like her, very fussy, I could not handle babies till after shots. Breeds just once a year. A certified cattery. My last pedigree was a Bengal. Another exotic personality. High energy, and loyal. Passed at 15 yrs. Still miss him[emoji]9829[/emoji]   

Glad I chose Siberian this time around.  At 59 I don't think I could keep up with a Bengal!  LOL.   Yes, of course I love cat pictures. Pinterest  has some different color variations of Russian Siberians on their site.  Glad you are enjoying the company of cats now.  They are magical and never lie about love.  Like fine wine get better with age.   Have fun with the new treasures you have found!  CAM  

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked out Siberian Beauty website- such beautiful cats! The solid blue is one I've never seen before.  And Oden's daddy is gorgeous!!!!!  I wish I could see a picture of Oden!!  I had checked out Siberian Beauty's site before since I'm also in California and did lots of research.  I got mine closer to home also from a Russian Family.  They only had one male and one female and after breeding for a couple of years just spayed their male and my Chili was their last cat they had from that last litter and my other cat Lily was from the same parents a year before.  Their site was called smilycat.  I've enjoyed reading the history about the Siberian too!  Very interesting! Sounds like a Golden is in your future!

Since I'm new to cats I loved reading your comments that cats are like wine, they get better with age.  Wow!  Love them already so much- I can only imagine!!  What gets better?

cameo2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a picture of Oden sitting on mama on my Avatar. Probably 6 wks. old there. He looks like a toy! I'm not real tech savvy. I looked at breeders close to where I  live also.  Waited almost 6 months on list before breeding period.   I like Eleonora's kittens. Your right a "Golden" might be in my future.  She just got a grand champion "Veles" trying for more goldens. in next breeding cycle. I was lucky to get a male silver with this years first litter.   Oden does have a room mate named Vinny  ( 6 yr. old tabby).  Your kitty's love toward you will be stronger, and your bond with them will be closer as time goes on. Its hard to explain but you will see what I mean. Check out the Pinerest site under Russian Siberian Cats. I have one section  called From Russia with Love. You will see the Goldens.   Oden is laying next to me now, happy with a belly full of chicken and rabbit. So sweet and calm. Makes me want to take a nap too!    Enjoy!   

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had I not even looked at your avatar before?  That Oden is so precious there on top of his mommy- I can't take it!!!!!!!

I just spent my lunch break checking Siberianbeautyus.com out some more.  That Veles is amazing.  I loved the sites gallery of kitten pics.  Their stripes are all so distinct and beautiful.  They have one where the mommy has 4 or 5 babies that all look like her- Goldens!  Yes I can see why you have your eyes on that coloring!  but again, all the kitten pics show such beautiful kittens. What a prized breeder!

That's great that your Oden has a playmate.  I thought it was your only cat for some reason.  So yeah that they have each other and of course YOU!

Bonnie