Transitioning to raw food

therapy cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in the processing of transitioning my 4 cats to raw food.  I have two dry food junkies, so I have been taking away the dry food and feeding them canned food to begin with, with some sprinkled dry food on the top of it.  This week, they have been eating the canned because no dry was being offered.  however, I work three 13 hour days, and from 6:30 AM to about 9:00 PM, is a long time with no dry food to pick at.  The other night, when I came home late, I fed them and my one cat ate his food so fast, he threw up.  I felt awful because they were SO hungry. They are used to the dry food always being down to get them through the day.  So on my long days, I am leaving a bowl of dry food because I don't want them to be so hungry again.  However, when it's time to feed the canned again, they put their noses up and hold out for the dry food, which I am trying NOT to feed them at all.  Anyone have any advice?

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about freeze dried raw?  You can leave it out like kibble.  I've also heard of freezing canned food and letting it out to thaw for kitties.  There are also timed feeders with ice packs to keep the food fresh.  

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats three times a day. When I do have to be out I leave frozen raw out on a plate . It thaws for quite some time. This is safe to do and wiol give kitties their 'lunch' while you are out. Most cats will not eat frozen food so it s a safe bet that they won't gobble it up the minute you leave. I personally would not leave freeze-dried out because it really needs to be mixed with water. I buy a bag of Primal Pheasant for these occasions. When that is gone I have decided to make some raw and freeze in ice cube trays.They are usually a perfect 2 ounce size and easy to pop right out.

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to be a bottomless pit when it comes to food. I feed her 2-3 times a day (homemade raw, mostly ground meat and organs), if I´m home during the day she will get  a small lunch, otherwise mooring and evening. Two things that seem to help her feel full is- add water to the food, feed blood/powdered dry blood with water and feed as a meal; and- she can spend up to two hours gnawing on a bone that´s uneatable for her, bur there´s small amounts of fat and meat that she has to work to get. She seems more satisfied after one of her "bone-sessions". 

A hungry cat that also is a cat that easily gains weight is not that easy to handle....

Last edited: