Transitioning Single Cat to Mulitcat Home

gossamerwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am getting ready to move in with my mother who has two cats aged 4 and 5. I have a single cat age 3. My cat is aggressive with strangers and has never lived in a multicat home.  I'm worried about her transition. I have taken her to visit at my mom's, but she has always stayed in a separate room, away from the other cats. I'm worried about her transition. I know there are articles online about introducing cats, but is there any additional advice? Should I consider using calming agents on her to help ease the transition?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you made the move yet?  How's it going?  Calming agents could help.  Will she be in a separate room initially?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gossamerwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not moving in for a couple weeks. She will be kept in a separate room at first.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calming agents could help all round. Feliway is the obvious start point, and this could be enough to help support everyone through the changes (provided you don't rush the introductions). If anybody seems particularly stressed, you can always add in Spirit Essences or Composure too.

As you're not moving yet, you could start the scent swapping process now. You could even get some cardboard scratchers as scent soakers, let both households use them for a week, and then switch. A blanket or bed swap could help too (but make sure that all cats have options that don't have unfamiliar scents on them, and dont take anyone's favorite bed/blanket ;) ). Little things like this could really help ease the transition for everyone.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

gossamerwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update. We moved in today. Yuki is being kept in my room, which is suited with a bathroom. I bought some calming spray and calming treats, but she won't eat the treats! She's a super picky eater, so I'm not totally surprised. She's been a little upset since we got here. It was a long car ride (We lived three hours away) and she accidentally saw one of the other cats when we fist got here, but before she was out of her carrier.

I have some toys to try to scent swap in the coming weeks.

Currently I have her favorite blanket laid out and her toy box readily available for her.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mega :vibes: that all goes well.

If Yuki seems like she needs a calmer, try the Composure liquid - its often much more readily accepted by picky eaters ;)

gossamerwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I let Yuki out into the house today while the other cats were shut into a separate area. She did really well! She did growl a couple times and chattered at me a little, but mostly just explored and sniffed the new areas.

Last night, Mewsette and Aurora noticed Yuki under the crack at the bottom of the bedroom door. The gap is big enough that Yuki can fit her paw underneath. Mewsette sat and stared, Aurora hissed once and moved on. I know they're not ready for introductions yet, but I feel like we're moving forward.

I have ordered some plug-in diffusers and some of the composure liquid.