Transitioning Indoor/Outdoor cat to Indoors Only

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a beloved 10 year old tabby that has mostly been indoor/outdoor. I found him abandon on the streets at only four weeks old. At the time the parents said we can keep him for tonight but, have to take him to the shelter tomorrow. Well, we took him to the vet and he stayed in our house full time until he was about a year old. Then he became a door dasher. In order to keep him happy we got a cat door. I know this is controversial but, we live in a safe area with little threat to cats and no endangered cat prey. He’s been happy with this arrangement for ~9 years now. Well I’m entering my 3rd year of university. I’m moving and would love to bring said cat. I’ll be in an apartment. How on earth do I get him to tolerate being inside only? I have horses and for them you’d put them on a calmer during the adjustment period if they were stressed. Would I do the same for him?

I feel like saying that he is leash trained etc. so if I brought him on walks with me could that be a good substitute? He is friends with our dog, should I be super worried about him getting lonely? Any tips or tricks on getting him to just not just tolerate, but to thrive indoors?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
I've seen similar situations, and the cat rarely has the life s/he should have (especially one who is this age), due to the incredible lack of time available to a person who is in college/university. Can you wait until you've graduated?

Here are a few articles that may give you some insight to the fact that although you miss your cat a lot, it may be better all around to leave him where he is, particularly since he's known to be a door darter. These aren't long reads, but have quite a lot of helpful information;

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy – TheCatSite Articles

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It will be much easier to keep him indoors if you are getting a new apartment than to confine him to the house he has been living in part time, since his outdoor turf won't be a window away. I think you should concentrate on doing what you need to keep him comfortable in his new space. Everything will be so new and scary that getting outside might not be the first thing on his mind.

Does this apartment have a common entrance or does the door open right to the outside. If it's the latter, you'll have to be very diligent in watching so he doesn't get out. Especially since he's a door dasher. Not only will he be unfamiliar with the new area, but it may not be as safe. If the apartment has a common entrance, don't let him figure out where the door to the outside is!

Leash training is a bad idea if he's going to be an indoor cat.

You could also get a window box for him to hang out in.

Give him lots of love, play and attention during the transition.

It sounds like bringing the cat to university is an option. That's good because if it doesn't work out in the new place, he can go back home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: First, you know your cat best and if he is 10 yrs. old, attached to your dog as well as used to having a cat door to go out then you have to look at it from his point of view. Who would he miss more, you or his environment where he grew up? Since he is getting older it's not a bad idea to bring him indoors and if you are his favorite person he may do just fine living with you at university.
Many cats are leash trained and it's a good option to letting him enjoy the outdoors. Regarding tips on bringing an outdoor cat inside, please refer to the TCS Article posted above by Furballsmom Furballsmom along with some of the other Articles. Best of luck and I hope you find the perfect solution for your cat and you. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I've seen similar situations, and the cat rarely has the life s/he should have (especially one who is this age), due to the incredible lack of time available to a person who is in college/university. Can you wait until you've graduated?

Here are a few articles that may give you some insight to the fact that although you miss your cat a lot, it may be better all around to leave him where he is, particularly since he's known to be a door darter. These aren't long reads, but have quite a lot of helpful information;
Thank you for all of the links they are helpful. I realized I forgot to add some important information. My education and job is remote so I’m home all day everyday. Fortunately time isn’t a concern for me. My workload is dramatically decreasing. He is an aging cat. If I’m being honest, I would like him to be indoor only at this stage of his life regardless. Weather that be where he has lived for 10 years, or a completely new place.

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It will be much easier to keep him indoors if you are getting a new apartment than to confine him to the house he has been living in part time, since his outdoor turf won't be a window away. I think you should concentrate on doing what you need to keep him comfortable in his new space. Everything will be so new and scary that getting outside might not be the first thing on his mind.

Does this apartment have a common entrance or does the door open right to the outside. If it's the latter, you'll have to be very diligent in watching so he doesn't get out. Especially since he's a door dasher. Not only will he be unfamiliar with the new area, but it may not be as safe. If the apartment has a common entrance, don't let him figure out where the door to the outside is!

Leash training is a bad idea if he's going to be an indoor cat.

You could also get a window box for him to hang out in.

Give him lots of love, play and attention during the transition.

It sounds like bringing the cat to university is an option. That's good because if it doesn't work out in the new place, he can go back home.
All of my school and work is online so he will have endless attention and play. He’s very demanding wouldn’t have it any other way haha. The apartment has a communal hallway. He’d have to get through 3 doors to get outside. We have a second floor balcony. We don’t like bugs, so we decided to go the extra step and turn make it a safe catio for him. It’s just not the same as free range.

I’m curious. I have many years of horse training experience using +R. I ended up using the same methods on him. If he’s properly conditioned why is leash training bad, if he’s comfortable and confident? Thank you for your time.

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: First, you know your cat best and if he is 10 yrs. old, attached to your dog as well as used to having a cat door to go out then you have to look at it from his point of view. Who would he miss more, you or his environment where he grew up? Since he is getting older it's not a bad idea to bring him indoors and if you are his favorite person he may do just fine living with you at university.
Many cats are leash trained and it's a good option to letting him enjoy the outdoors. Regarding tips on bringing an outdoor cat inside, please refer to the TCS Article posted above by Furballsmom Furballsmom along with some of the other Articles. Best of luck and I hope you find the perfect solution for your cat and you. :rbheart:
Thank you for your reply. I agree. I think I’d like to get him inside regardless due to his age. It sounds almost unbelievable but I have a lot of time to devote to my pets and making them happy. I just know that I’m only a human. Therefore, I wonder how much more important the dog-cat relationship is, if at all. He has a home and love regardless. But when you’re doing home office all day, a fur-baby sure makes the day go by faster.