Transitioning Cat To Sleeping Outside Of Bedroom, Advice Please!

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Lucifer has slept with us since we brought him home. He is 6 months old, very spoiled, and loves cuddles. However, I will be having our newborn son in roughly a month, possibly the next few weeks! We set up his bassinet yesterday and Lucifer has taken a liking to it. My SO and I have previously discussed shutting him out of the room at night, but wanted to see how he was with the empty bassinet (which is next to our bed). Of course this morning when he was waking me up for food, he wanted to explore it, and after he ate.

I'm already planning to go and get him a second litter box today and put it in the living room so he will start using it, and tonight will be the first night we will shut him out. There are two door between us and the living room, so hopefully this prevents him from crying at our door. I'm going to put his sleep blanket, food and water out there as well.

Questions:
Should I start keeping him out of our room permanently, or just when we go to bed?
How long might it take for him to accept he has to sleep outside the room and stop fussing?
What experience have you had with cats/territory/newborns?

Lucifer is like my kid, however I will have to put my newborn son first in this matter!

Thank you!! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, don't shut him out of the bedroom completely. I can't think of a surer way to have him resent his new baby brother. The bedroom is PRIME territory. It is where the scents of Lucifer's humans are the strongest, and that is rich with meaning to a cat. Shutting him out completely would be tearing a big hunk of his foundation right out from under him. And it could cause all sorts of issues with the litter box as well as other behaviors.

My sons grew up with cats sharing their cribs and playpens, right from day one. I never had a problem or an issue, and in fact, I'd probably have lost my elder son if not for the cat. Drew learned to roll over very early, and had rolled over into the crib bumper. He'd quite possibly have smothered if not for Jive raising caine and running back and forth meowing at me to come check on him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, congratulations on the addition! You must be very excited!! Babies are a lot of work, but so sweet :redheartpump:

Secondly, I wouldn't shut him out completely, but if it's your wish to keep him out at night, by all means, start now. Make a cozy spot for him and if possible, give him free reign of the house.
What's his feeding schedule like? I can only speak for our cats but they seem the laziest after a big meal so a late night (meaning, 10 minutes before you retire for the night) might be the best time to offer the main meal of the day.
If he's used to a scheduled feeding, perhaps creating "food puzzles" would keep him busy. These can be purchased, or made. A regular water bottle, lid screwed on tight, with holes punched in the side works well.
We're childless ourselves for a many reasons, but I myself grew up in a house full of cats and love seeing pictures of my baby-self hanging around dogs and cats. Makes me happy, and I hope those similar pictures you take of your new kiddo and your current kitties makes him or her happy was well =)

(I had chronic, on going problems as a newborn baby/young child and spent a lot of time in hospitals. I had a lot of missed school in my very early years. I have an old, cherished photo of myself at about 4 years sitting in a recliner on a "home sick" day while my mothers much loved huge yellow cat lay next to me. I can remember being so sick but waking up to that familiar feline nurse that stayed with me no matter what, always on my left side in that chair. He was an aloof hunter type unless us kids were sick; during those times, he abandoned his wishes to be a hunter to become a nurse. Deep down, I loved him so much for that innate nursing ability, I named one of my own cats after him!)

I give partial credit to being around those cats (and dogs, as I have many happy memories with them, too!) as going from being a sickly baby/young child to a pre-teen, teenager, and into adulthood being as robust and healthy as a horse. I'm an old fart now, and rarely get sick. I can't prove a thing, but I think growing up around pets helped this as well as fostered a love for all living beings.
I understand your concern with keeping the baby safe and free from feline "inquisitiveness" as they can be....rather, inquisitive!!!.... but as the baby grows, I hope he/she and your kitty are fast friends and your child will have happy memories of furry friends like I do =)

Again, congratulations on expanding your family. You must be very excited!! :celebrate:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't shut him out because of everything above ... plus I like sleep. Newborns = sleep depravation torture. A cat locked out of the bedroom will throw a fit, keeping you up all night ... especially one as attached as your boy. So you would have a newborn plus door rattling & LOUD meowing (that might wake your little one up.) That is a recipe for more stress.
Can you buy him a cat bed/tree that is on the same level as the bassinet and set it next to the bassinet? Then start training him to stay in his bed?
Congratulations on your baby... I'm sure your boy will love him until he starts running around ;)