Transient Tail Lump And Drooping Tail

liddle_spiders

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is a weird one, but wondering if anyone has been through something similar.

Several years ago one of our cats had a tail that overnight went from normal to where it would go up two inches from it's rear, and almost like a kink at that point it turned 90 degrees and the rest of it would hang like dead weight. We got him into our vet at that time and was told there was a lump and they thought it was a fatty tumor, but no kink or break was felt. They suggested waiting a bit to see what would happen since it wasn't bothering him. After about two months, it healed up completely and he had use of his tail again. Over the last several years the dead tail symptom has come and gone and within a few weeks was back to normal, and we were told by that same vet that he was likely doing something particular to sprain it and it was healing on it's own. We never caught any behaviours that would have lead to tail damage, but it never bothered him so we went with our vet's advice.

Fast forward to a month ago when we went to see a new vet. She was able to feel a bony growth at the bend site and was absolutely convinced there was also an old break that had healed at some point in the past because he showed zero signs of pain or discomfort. (She could touch and wiggle it and he had no reaction.) He needed dental work done so she wanted to wait until he was sedated for that to do an xray to see what the bony growth was since she didn't feel the break was causing any problems.

This morning we found out he was FIV positive. We've had him as an indoor only cat for nearly 9 years, he's never been in a fight with our other cats, and all the others were tested at some point in their lives and they are all negative. He must have had it as a kitten and when I went back and looked I realized that we had assumed the shelter had tested him but there was no written record of it. (Doesn't mean it wasn't done, just that I can't prove it was. I swore we him and his fostermate tested at the same time.)

Here's the weirdness - there is no growth on the tail today. No bumps. No Lumps. X-ray is clear and shows no break. He still isn't holding his tail correctly, but when asked about why his tail goes up and then droops the tech I spoke with said "maybe he just likes holding it that way". I don't understand how a solid bony growth that was easy to feel can just disappear in three weeks time? The vet's office didn't seem concerned about it in the least, but since this has been an ongoing problem I'm worried it's a sign of something more.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been vaccinated for fiv? If so he will test positive for it.

As for the tail thing I have never heard of this. Is he double jointed there?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yes, this is true. How on earth did you find out he was FIV positive yesterday morning? I didn't think it was normal for them to test for that type of thing before doing procedures. I know they normally do a CBC, but didn't know they also tested for FeLV/FIV. Has he been ill during these 9 years he's been with you? Particularly with mouth issues?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As for the tail thing I have never heard of this. Is he double jointed there?
Wait a minute. So, if a cat was vaccinated, even if it was years ago, they test positive for FIV? I've never had to have one tested for this, so this is news to me.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes because how the testing works is it detects antibodies to the virus. So if the cat has fiv antibodies it will come up positive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liddle_spiders

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, we never vaccinate for FIV and he was 5 weeks when we got him.

All of our cats are rescues, and while we do initially test when they first get to us and have retested any time there is an illness that gives suspicions of immune suppression, he is the first one to ever test positive. It was a brand new vet's office and I don't know if it's standard for them to ask before surgery. They might have grabbed the wrong info sheet as we were having a kitten fixed at the same time, or maybe it was because the assistant that initially saw us refused to take down any of their medical history so they didn't have any previous info on him and thought he was also new to our family. They asked if we wanted them both tested and we said sure, why not, it's been a number of years and it's always possible for FIV or FeLV to rear it's head years later so we try to retest when we can. We were gobsmacked when they called back and said he was positive.

There's been a few strange things over the years - like when he broke with full blown ulcerating calici after his kitten series and spread it to all our other fully vaccinated adult cats when he was two months old - but aside from that we've always considered him the healthiest cat in the house until his teeth started bothering him, which we noticed a few months back when he started having trouble eating and would sleep more. He never gets kitty colds, he's never had infections until this, he's a lean and very muscular cat. FIV is NOT a death sentence like most people think when they hear the name, many cats will live with it for years without any signs or symptoms. Had we not said yes to the test on a whim I don't think we'd have ever found out - the vet hadn't even mentioned wanting it done when she examined him and did basic bloodwork! CBC (bloodcount) were mostly normal - he was anemic from not being able to eat or drink much, and everything else was within normal limits.

Edit: I'm not sure about the double jointed-ness. Is that even possible in a tail? I was wondering about maybe a rotating disk or vertebrae.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Indy has a double jointed tail. She can hold her tail flat against her back in the same manner as a squirrel or Shiba Inu

liddle_spiders

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hunh! We actually have a few that can do that. I never knew it was anything unique! lol Might be something genetic in the cats in our area.

I doubt that is T's problem though, unless it somehow caused him to injure it at the hypermobile joint. His is a normal tail from the base for about two inches, and then it bends at a sharp angle and everything downwards is slow to react and very limp. When it initially happened, overnight he went from a normal tailed adult to not being able to lift his tail, and in between flare ups he goes back having a normal tail. I would think it was a pinched nerve or stenosis or a blown disc, but there is that physical lump that comes and goes along with it. He was always a cat that ran with his tail straight up like a poker, and now it looks like an Arabian horse.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat Kitty had a tail injury resulting from a vice grip being used on her tail by her previous owners (she had a very troubled start). She had a lump where the injury healed untreated and we found out about it after the vet did an x-ray. It didn't really affect her tail though other than it having a kink.

liddle_spiders

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well.... the lump is back and has moved - about an inch further down towards the tip of the tail and is now on the underside. It is springy and swollen - definitely not bone or a herniation because it spans two vertebrate. It does not hurt him in any way and as of now his tail still has pretty normal movement.

I'm kind of torn about calling the vet about this. They were so not concerned in any way the last time, and T is finally starting to act normal again after his teeth removal.

Okay, so it doesn't help that I've had to put calls in about our others and have spoken to a vet at least once a day for the past week and a half. Our oldest was diagnosed with kidney lymphoma, we're trying for chemo, and I'm a little burned out from dealing with all that.

Just wish I had a clue what could be going on with T. It is so bizarre!